Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help at Jonas Green

Hi,

I am a novice kayaker and an average fisherman. I have wanted to get out into the deeper water at Jonas Green for years, but could not due to the pier being so crowded. Would anyone mind giving me a few tips as to what types of lures/bait to use for either stripers or croakers? If so, depth and rod technique tips would be especially welcome as well.

I am planning to go tomorrow, Sunday June 30th and am looking forward to my first kaying fishing trip as well as a season of fun.

Thank you,

UnkleRob

I found fish near the many wooden dock pilings at Jonas Green last week. They were the piers to the right of the launch area as you face the water.

I used light spinning tackle and casted a ΒΌ oz. Rat L Trap (blue and silver) or 1/8 oz. jig with a curly tailed white grub as close to the pilings as I could. Sometimes I casted directly under a pier and retrieved the line through the pilings. My retrieves were steady and rather fast. It’s hard to outrun a determined striper with your lure.

It helps to have the tide moving the water in or out of the structure of the pilings, rocks, etc. Fish will typically lay in wait behind the structure shielded from currents to ambush baits. When you recognize the direction and flow of the water and cast accordingly it’s a big aid in catching fish.

If your casting skills are not developed and you fear hanging up your line on piers or other structures you can troll your crank bait or grub behind your boat as you paddle through open water. The fish will literally hook themselves as they attack your bait.

There is no substitute for getting out there and trying various methods. In time you will learn what works best on a given day.

Good luck,

Mark
    Mark
    Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
    Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

Wow. That is really nice of you to offer such detail. I really appreciate it. Thank you. I promise to offer up any success stories and my methods, if and when I have any.

I am off to pick up my new kayak. Touring today. Fishing tomorrow.

Thank you again for the kindness,

UnkleRob

Comment

I found plenty of croaker along channel edges over hard bottom. The flagpole point directly across river from the launch was producing well. I used gulp bloodworms.
        John Hostalka

Delaware Paddlesports and
        Hobie Fishing team member

2018 Camo Hobie Outback
        2015 Hobie Outback

Comment

On the weekends at JG getting there early can help a lot because its popular with fisherman, kayakers, families etc so the lot can fill up. I got there at 6:30 this morning and there were only a few parking spots left. It doesn't hurt that the Severn can be almost glass like before the boats start passing through.

Comment

Bring some raw or cooked frozen shrimp from the grocery store and some Gulp bloodworms.... They work really well for the croaker and white perch. I use one rod with a double drop set-up with about an ounce sinker. The other rod I use a single hook with a medium size splitshot sinker about 18" above the hook. I drift the drop-offs along the channel (it drops off from 8' to about 15' to 20'). The bigger croaker seemed to like the drifting splitshot rig; but I caught more keeper sized croaker/white perch on the double drop rig. You can even pick up the odd spot now and then to liveline if you really are looking for some lazy fishing.

Comment

How did it go?

Comment

Hi everyone. Thank you for the advice. I am embarrassed to admit that I never made it on Sunday morning. On Saturday, I purchased two kayaks, installed the roofrack, went on a fairly rigorous kayaking tour through the Patapsco and I was exhausted. I went with a female friend so I did all the heavy lifting. After this experience, I am thinking I need to look into a roofrack that has an accessory to help me get the kayaks on top of my SUV. I am not a very big/tall guy and getting the kayaks on top of my SUV by myself was extremely challenging.

Thank you everyone for all your help. This is just a temporary setback. I am sure there are affordable options out there for me in terms of accessories to help with the kayak loading.

Thank you,

Rob

Comment

Rob,

Congrats on your kayak purchases.

I use a Yakima Showboat 66 to get my boat on my van.

http://www.rackattack.com/product-pa...howboat-66.asp

It works very well. I could not load or unload the boat by myself without it.

Mark
                  Mark
                  Pasadena, MD

Comment

Mark,

That looks very cool, although it appears that it fits only one kayak. I called the number on the link and they confirmed this system is for one kayak and I need to be able to carry two...although I really only need the load assist on one side (or for one kayak) as when I am going with someone else they will be able to help me load their kayak.

I am so impressed by how helpful everyone is on this site. I look forward to the day I have some quality tips so that I can repay the "good will"...thank you very, very much.

Thank you,

Rob

Comment

Rob,

That's interesting.

The Yakima site itself said it slides from side to side to load multiple boats.

See here:
                      http://www.yakima.com/shop/water/lif...t/showboat-66/

I can see from mine how that could work. But I think you could also load two boats on their sides (one at a time) without sliding the roller. It's very wide and the boats sit on the roof rack, not the roller.

Good luck in finding what you need.

Mark
                      Mark
                      Pasadena, MD

Comment

Lower cost, Yakima makes the boat loader bars which if using their round bars you could do one on each side.

I have an SUV that is tall, it helps when loading from the side.

Comment

You can't take a trailer to JG... But Harbor Freight sells some pretty inexpensive trailers you can use to get to other parks. I have an old WWII Jeep trailer that I use to get my kayak around on. It's a lot easier than trying to lift a kayak above my head after a good day of paddling. It limits where you can put in but it sure is easier. Bolt a metal truck box or heavy plastic bin, also available from the stores, to the trailer and you can store all your fishing gear and kayaks on the trailer: if you have space in the yard, garage, shed, etc...

Comment

Working...
                          X