No announcement yet.

January Fish - Croaker/Yellow Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I vote CHUB 2k12. look at the shape and location of the dorsal compared to that of a white sucker. its hard to tell if the fin in your pic is totally out or not but if it is i think its pretty definitive that its a chub. anyway this has given me something to think about while watching that Turrrble excuse for a football game. Heres a shot of a gunpowder chub underwater. the dark spot is visible but not super distinct
    Attached Files
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I'm going to go with fallfish, Semotilis corporalis. They're in the same genus as creek chubs. They make noise and get to be around 12" long, which makes them the largest minnow east of the Rockies. They make cool nests in the spring time that look like mounds with a dimple on the top, and a lot of other species will spawn on the mounds because the gravel stays pretty clean. I've only caught a few, but they put up a good fight.

Even though now is the time when croaker larvae and small juveniles work their way into the Bay, the water temps around here are below the lethal temperature for smaller croakers, which is ~40*.
      Last edited by ictalurus; 01-02-2011, 07:19 PM.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Originally posted by ictalurus View Post
        I'm going to go with fallfish, Semotilis corporalis. They're in the same genus as creek chubs. They make noise and get to be around 12" long, which makes them the largest minnow east of the Rockies. They make cool nests in the spring time that look like mounds with a dimple on the top, and a lot of other species will spawn on the mounds because the gravel stays pretty clean. I've only caught a few, but they put up a good fight.

Even though now is the time when croaker larvae and small juveniles work their way into the Bay, the water temps around here are below the lethal temperature for smaller croakers, which is ~40*.
        My Bad .......... I always thought creek chubs were fall fish ........ if they are not then I go with fall fish .......... still a good bait for big fish ......

Comment

Ditto
          Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

I'm sticking with "Maryland Bonefish."

Comment

Now I am not sure, I am going with "giant minnow"

Thanks for all the input, I sure learn a lot of good info from everyone.

Bryan

Comment

nice chub, way too cold for croakers now. nice job i was going to see if any cats were around Sat. but got suckered into taking down the Xmas decorations

Comment

Hey ........ you got a Chubby ......... congratulations

Comment

Working...
                  X