January Fish - Croaker/Yellow Perch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• January Fish - Croaker/Yellow Perch

Got my January fish, 10:08 am. Went fishing this morning about 9:00, Wye Lake was still iced, fished Wye Creek for a while caught a couple small yellow perch. It was good to see Tucked In (Chris) there also.

Decided to head home about 1130 with a stop by Tuckahoe Creek in Hillsboro on the way. Called my wife she said rain was on the way, decided not to put the kayak in, fished from shore on the Queen Anne side of the bridge.

Tide was low but starting to come in, 2nd cast caught a keeper yellow perch, 1/8 yellow jighead with a nightcrawler. A few casts later caught a 12" croaker. Have never caught a croaker in the Tuckahoe or in January??? I think the fish was lost. Over the next hour caught a couple more nice perch and headed home. Didn't keep any of the fish but could have had a good feed.

So far 2011 is ok! See everyone next week at the M&G
    Attached Files

Good job, New Year fish. That was my thought on January fish. I thought there would be some yellow perch already staged for the spawn. I was also thinking about the Red Bridges area. I was going to try some worms or grass shrimp. The croaker is a surprise. He must have been lost. I was also thinking about Bridgeville

Good Luck.

Comment

Nice perch!!! I'm with you on the croaker, very unusual to see one that far out of its element, must of been looking for food. You're a far better man than I to go out in this cold, I guess I'm just not there yet. Perhaps if I can get a decent dry suit or something comparable then maybe I'll get out there this time of the year. The water temps are just too extreme for me.
      Tom Brown
      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
      2012 Hobie PA 14'
      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

something told me I should of followed you.
        Don't know if it works until you try it.

Ocean Kayak Big Game
        LL Bean Manatee 10

Comment

That croaker looks a lot like a white sucker

Comment

Originally posted by Capt C-Hawk View Post
            That croaker looks a lot like a white sucker
            Capt C-Hawk, I think you are correct, I looked at the picture closer, it was croaking just like a croaker when I took it out of the water, and had similar color. This would be a first for me, have never caught a white sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by eastonkayaker View Post
              Capt C-Hawk, I think you are correct, I looked at the picture closer, it was croaking just like a croaker when I took it out of the water, and had similar color. This would be a first for me, have never caught a white sucker.
              I've never heard of a white sucker croaking ......... I've caught a couple and they've never croaked

Comment

I maximized the photo this time around. Thats not a croaker. I just compared it to a photo online. It does look like a sucker. Interesting, I have never caught one on the shore.

Comment

The second fish is what we always called a creek chub. Had them croak at me many times. I believe the white sucker would have a more pronounced downward facing mouth with bigger lips Either way, good way to start the year off and you beat me to catching a Jan. fish Good Fishin

Chimo

Comment

I think chimos right. We catch these alot troutfishing on the upper gunpowder. They are slimy and do croak. They are a fun little fish on light fly rods. Think "maryland bonefish"
                    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Creek Chub: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Home/spec...9/Default.aspx

White Sucker: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Sucker

We may need Bill to decide this debate. I have caught alot of similar fish while trout fishing and always thought they were suckers. At least that is what all of the other folks told me when they were laughing at me, while they caught trout. Maybe that is why I don't do much trout fishing anymore.

I don't see a dark spot forward of the dorsal fin or any stripe. So this may not be a creek chub. The only creek chubs that I have seen are small, and I used them as bait.

Anyway good going on those January fish. By the looks of things if that is a creek chub, it should be a citation. Maybe its a good thing you didn't eat the croaker.

Comment

im almost sure its a chub. here is one from the gun. they are technically minnows so no one actually keeps records for them (sorry no citation but it is a nice fish). ive heard people call them fallfish as well but i am not sure they are the same species.
                        Attached Files
                        Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Just kidding about the citation. Of course, I like the Maryland Bonefish name better. That would set DNR off looking for that citation.

Comment

That's a chub ....... That would have been GREAT bait for a big fish .......

Comment

After hours and hours of extensive research or maybe just a few mintues, I have come to the conclusion that it is a white sucker that runs with croakers and learned how to croak!

According to what I read the creek chub has a dark spot on the front of the dorsal fin. I Looked close at the original picture definately no dark spot. Otherwise the creek chub and white sucker look almost identical.

Either way I have caught many fish on the Tuckahoe, largemouth bass, catfish, pickeral, trout, white perch, yellow perch, sunfish, this was the first of this type, one more notch on the fish belt.

Comment

Working...
                              X