It's Cold Outside! Let's talk gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's Cold Outside! Let's talk gear

In case you didn't know, it is cold outside. I mean it is really, really cold out there. I think this has been covered before but it seems like a good time to talk safety.

Some of us might try to make it out this saturday when it is a balmy 55 degrees. If not, we will certainly try to make it out in March or April. Either way, the water temps will be deadly. Not chilly, but deadly.

With that said, what is your cold water gear? Drysuit? Wetsuit? Paddle pants? What have you tried and hated?

Im thinking about a pair of Hodgman's but I can be talked out of them.
    Jason

Waders are ok, but get stocking foot waders. You can wear reef boots or such over the feet. This is an ongoing debate on the forum. Some like dry suits and some like waders. Myself I wear wader type pants that seal real well around the waist and wear a foul weather jacket. That works for me.

Comment

Hobies and wetsuits don't mix. I found that out the hard way.
      Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
      Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

If it is just cold I go with blue jeans, tall rubber boots, warm loose fitting shirts/fleece in layers.

If it is cold and windy with possibility of getting wet from spray, waist high waders with feet, same shirts with the addition of a waterproof lightwieght jacket.

During the winter, usually fish the lakes/rivers/creeks where the water is not to deep and fairly easy to get to shore if I happen to spill and can't get back on the kayak.

Comment

I've done a lot of late season duck hunting from the yak up in Barnagat Bay. Waders, with a belt and water proof jacket seems to work well. Waders in the hobie are fine. If peddling constantly, UU cold gear works well. Have dumped the yak 2x in January and was able to hop back in and keep going. The dog rode in the back of the yak. Both times I dumped it, I caused us to go over, not the dog. That was in a old town SI yak as well. Over turkey day fished IRI and was plenty warm in waders (gore-tex stocking foot from Cabelas.)

Comment

I admit. I had to read that twice. Duck hunting. From the yak. An interesting idea. Im not really into killing things with a proper face, but it sounds like a cool thing to try. It also has the potential for a Dick-Cheney-hunting-incident.

Fun times.
            Jason

Comment

im kind of new to this whole yaking in the cold thing but the few times ive been out lately ive worn my simms headwaters pants and a waterproof jacket overtop. The pants have been awesome both on the stream and on the kayak. they are goretex and have stocking foots and have a really good built in adjustable belt that creates a great seal. they come up about an 1-2'' above the belly button so they arent as bulky as chest waders but are high enough to be able to put something over. i got a very nice extrasport dry top for xmas and from preliminary "tests" walking around my basement it should make a near perfect seal when combined with the pants if i happen to go in the drink. everything is breathable and with capilene or under armour layers underneath its super warm.
              Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                I admit. I had to read that twice. Duck hunting. From the yak. An interesting idea. Im not really into killing things with a proper face, but it sounds like a cool thing to try. It also has the potential for a Dick-Cheney-hunting-incident.

Fun times.
                Yeah ........ I want to try duck hunting next year ........... but I don't understand the Cheney type hunting ........ you're usually hunting away from each other ....... not like in a Duck Blind .......... unless of course you hunt with someone that will apologize for getting in the way of you shot and causing you to miss the bird ......... THAT was amazing to me

Comment

I have been looking into the duck hunting from a kayak but am having a tough time understanding all of the regulations. I believe that in the non tidal potomac (susquehanna flats, and one other place) you can hunt out of a moving kayak but the majority of places in maryland, it is illegal and the kayak must be anchored. Have only had my kayak out 3 times. I plan on doing more research for duck hunting out of a kayak and trying it out next year. Hopefully by then I will have enough experience in the yak and fishing in the bay all season that being in frigid waters during duck season won't bother me.

Comment

I used to hunt public lands around Taylors Island and Elliots Island. I used a canoe, Gheenoe, and a duck boat. I used to like hunting puddle ducks much more than hunting diver ducks in open water. You may want to look into that. After you get a nack for public land duck hunting, it can be very productive. I used to train retrievers, but after my favorite dogs got old and died, the hunting part just got to be killing. I really liked working the dogs. I have seen some kayaks that would be very good for hunting. However, I would not want a dog in one or launch a dog from one. We also put a couple of clubs together and rented land for duck and goose hunting. I am just a kayak angler now. I now use the winter respite for getting the gear in order.

Comment

I'm interested in the duck or goose hunting from a yak. Does anyone make a type of blind that would go over a Yak? what do you use to camoflage the Yak. I'd be willing to try it once. I'm ussually a land goose hunter and have done it twice from a water blind. more fun and not as cold from the land though
                      Tom Brown
                      Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
                      2012 Hobie PA 14'
                      Ocean Kayak Tident 13
                      2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Hobie sells, gun mounts, and camo skirt. They also sell something called MOJO Ghillie Bundles, looks like the grass used on duck blinds. I have also read about some yakers painting their kayaks camoflage colors.

Comment

We never did much to our yaks up in New Jersey or here on the rivers. We would do a lot of jump shooting from tidal creeks and down some of the MD rivers. The MD regs used to refer to it as sneak boating (and according to the regs a boat was only a boat if it was at anchor, never figured that one out). boats were dark green and we occasionally painted them. Another idea is 2 giant goose sheels attached to boat, 1 fore and 1 aft.

Comment

how is taylors isl. for fishing? used to get some good reports from there and wanted to check it out in the yak. heard of some nice flounder from out around the campground also some large croakers

Comment

Working...
                            X