No announcement yet.

New Xmas Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I must have been "good" last year... a Humminbird 798ci SI. No coal for me!!!

Comment

Wow, sounds like there will be alot of new equipment out there this spring. John, I am going to be following you. You should be able to see everything below the surface.

I am curious. How are you going to mount the side scan transducer on your kayak. I have been thinking about one of those myself, but was wondering about the transducer mount. I was thinking about an electric motor mount, but I think, I would like something more permanent. How are you going about that? Always looking for other ideas.

Come on Metro Man, did you get some fishing games with that X-Box, like Chesapeake Striper fishing.

Comment

Been researching that. The Internet is such a great resource and there's lots of kayak fishing forums all over the world!

After researching I think a wet well housing is the way to go. I saw several designs and the one I like uses the hull, closed cell foam and a piece of acrylic. I'll position it inside the front hatch ahead of the mast tube on my Revo. The hull in this area has a curved depression that is below the water line. I'll make 2 dams with closed cell foam gooped to the hull. The acrylic acts as a lid and goes across the depression to each side of the hull and on top of the closed cell foam. Lots of goop or silicon sealant. Then, two holes, one for the wire and another for adding water. This is sealed with a deck plug.

I forget where I spotted this. Might have been a West Coast forum or maybe one in Australia or New Zealand. Couple good ones down under. But I did snag a couple pics so it should look something like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

I got a new seat, a GTS Expedition seat. I told my wife that if she wanted me to stop bitchin about my back and my butt when I got off the water she should buy me this seat. I can't wait to get on the water... this thing looks awesome! Does anyone else have this seat? is it as comfortable as it looks
          Tom Brown
          Pro Staff: Balloon FisherKing, Catch 5 Baits, Century Rods, Smith Optics.
          2012 Hobie PA 14'
          Ocean Kayak Tident 13
          2012, 2014, 2015, CBKA Tournament 1st place Crab Div.

Comment

Dont think your internal mount will work. I have the 898 on my boat and spent a lot of time talking to the techs at humminbird before I did my mount for the boat. I would try making an extension off the stern (or side) and attach the mounting bracket to that behind the boat. The SI is amazing and so is the downscan. You dont want any obstructions to either side of the transducer. I would definitely put in a call to humminbird. I sent them pictures of my boat and got great help from their techs. Talk about customer support!

Comment

1. The expedition seat is great. It solved my butt and back problems.

2. That is why I was thinking about mounting the side scan transducer on the electric motor, if I get one. I'll have to look into that. I have seen folks with them in kayaks. So there must be ways of doing that mount on a kayak. Who knows, I may be able to keep using a thru hull transducer in the scuppr hole. I mostly look for drop off and structure anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by dhmjd View Post
                Dont think your internal mount will work. I have the 898 on my boat and spent a lot of time talking to the techs at humminbird before I did my mount for the boat. I would try making an extension off the stern (or side) and attach the mounting bracket to that behind the boat. The SI is amazing and so is the downscan. You dont want any obstructions to either side of the transducer. I would definitely put in a call to humminbird. I sent them pictures of my boat and got great help from their techs. Talk about customer support!
                I've heard good things about their customer service. A major factor for my choice. And I did talk to them about this and they said it wouldn't work. Which, is the party line. They won't endorse it unless they've thoroughly tested and approve it. They simply suggested their kayak kit to me so I doubt they're spending any time testing side scan on kayaks.

I can understand it wouldn't work through a boat hull without a specialized transducer. Guys on other forums are doing this on their kayaks with success. I don't think the plastic hull will interfere with the sonar signal all that much. Having it in a well of water should help. I'll report on how it works once complete.

Comment

Thanks John. I have dealt with Humminbird before and they are easy to deal with. I would be curious about how you proceed and how it works. I have heard different things about the side scan systems on kayaks. It has mostly been enough to confuse me. As you said, some of it may come from use on boats.

Good Luck with your work.

Comment

Originally posted by medicyaker View Post
                    I got a new seat, a GTS Expedition seat. I told my wife that if she wanted me to stop bitchin about my back and my butt when I got off the water she should buy me this seat. I can't wait to get on the water... this thing looks awesome! Does anyone else have this seat? is it as comfortable as it looks
                    i got that seat for xmas too and some giftcards for BPS. i hope the new seat is as good as they say

Comment

Working...
                    X