Best and worst trip ever ... or ... Rod Leash PSA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best and worst trip ever ... or ... Rod Leash PSA

Went fishing early this morning at Mott's Run (Fredericksburg va). Fifth time out in my Revo. I had just caught a catfish and while unhooking it the wind blew me into shore. My rod was behind me in the rod holder on the same side as the paddle. I reached for my paddle in order to push away from the bank and managed to knock the rod right overboard. After the "kerplunk" and turning to see my rod sink 6 feet down, it's hard to describe the frustration I felt at the moment. That was the worst part of the trip.

The bank dropped off steeply from about 2 feet to 6 feet. I could see the reel shining on the bottom and so I tried to flip it up closer to the bank with the paddle. That was a bad idea. It stirred up all the mud I lost sight of the rod. I really, really was not looking forward to going for a swim.

I stayed nearby, fished a bit with another rod, and waited for the dust to settle.

About 15 mins later I went back to the spot and could see the reel again. One more try with the paddle before taking a swim.... stuck the paddle straight down just behind the reel, one quick scoop and I couldn't believe it! The paddle grabbed hook between the reel and the rod, and, miraculously, my rod appeared! Dripping wet, hanging on the end of the paddle and then secure back in my hands! Best. feeling. ever.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this newbie story as a reminder to leash everything down. I know I will from now on!

Caught a crappie, and what I think was a white perch (never caught one of those before) on a beetle spin, and caught 2 small bass, and the catfish on 4in pumpkinseek lunker grub / mushroom head jig.
    2012 Hobie Revo 13

I'm glad you got your rod back. I have lost two rods overboard this year and get mad at myself when it happens.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Always bring a heavy jighead that you can drag along the bottom in hopes of retrieving your lost rod.
      Ryan
      Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
      Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Working...
      X