Softtop Jeep Solution: Roof Rack or Trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Softtop Jeep Solution: Roof Rack or Trailer

I am about to change over to a 4 door jeep with a softtop and I am trying to figure out the best way to not have to borrow my Wife's SUV to go kayaking. I don't want to get a hardtop and most of the solutions I have seen require a roof rack that has to be partially disassembled in order to raise or lower the soft top. The other option would be a trailer. Problem with a trailer is that I have trouble staying under 55mph and I don’t know how the sway would be with such a light load. Anyone have some good experience?
    Ride 135 Green
    Big Tuna Orange
    12ft Bote HD
    Outback Blue with Orange Deck

just strap it to the roof? i think rockchaser's avatar is a picture of his Jeep CJ-7 with a kayak strapped to the roof
    sigpic

Comment

Some bed extenders can be used vertically which would take care of the rear support. The front support will be tricky.

Are you looking to transport the kayak with the top off?

Comment

I put mine up on top of my TJ (2-door) for places like GJ that will not let me bring my short trailer in with my yak on it. (Jeep and trailer's not much more that 2 feet longer than most parking spaces)
        But I also have a M100 WWII/Korea War era trailer I put the boat on to store it and drag to places like SPSP. It makes loading it easier than trying to get it up on the top of a TJ.
        Why not find an old SkiDo trailer and do best of both worlds? Trailer when you want to and top it when your going to a non-trailer park.

Comment

I use a Trailex aluminum trailer, with no problems. I take it all over the place. I also use it as a dolly, when launching where there is no ramp.

Comment

I have a 94 YJ with the 4 angry squirrels. I use my utility trailer to carry my 2 kayaks and it works great. The trailer springs could be a little softer but it works fine. I already had the trailer for hauling stuff to the dump so I bolted some crossbars to the trailer and removed the ramp/tailgate.

I do think a pickup is the ideal kayak carrier, but the trailer works way better than strapping the kayaks on a roof mounted rack.

Comment

My old CJ-7 has a full cage so I just strap it to that. I can't use the bikini top when I do so because it is in the way of my tie downs but getting rained on is part of owning an old Jeep.
              Jim

Hobie Outback
              TKAA member
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

when I had my old tj I just used pool noodles on top the soft top and strapped it down under the frame never hurt the soft top when its warm I just strapped it across the bars
                D Hawk
                Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Isn't there a bar that bolts in to the front near the mirrors that you can get?

**I saw this on another site and just looked it up for you - Lange original bar.

http://www.newenglandkayakfishing.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4729&p=170810&hilit=jeep#p170 810

Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Do you have the single kayak Trailex? I was looking at some of thier models and I like the Model SUT-200-S. For the rare occasion when I need to move 2 boats, do you think you could safely stack one more kayak on top?
                    Ride 135 Green
                    Big Tuna Orange
                    12ft Bote HD
                    Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

I've got a 4-door JK. Purchased a Harbor Freight "rear T rack for $50". It raises the kayak about 4" off the rear soft top. Just place a pool noodle over the front window frame, strap down and you are good to go!!

Comment

Working...
                      X