Event 3 - Upper Potomac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Results?

I left early to go get something to drink, and had to go so far to find a gas station that I didn't bother coming back. I know for sure my 2 fish did not place, but who did well??
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
      Results?

I left early to go get something to drink, and had to go so far to find a gas station that I didn't bother coming back. I know for sure my 2 fish did not place, but who did well??

I couldn't give you the official top 10, but I'm happy to share my report with everyone.

Robert (BigFluke) and I shuttled to Brunswick along with a rough 5 or 6 others that I saw. Once I finally tied on my leaders (3ft, 10lb fluro) and got to fishing, the bite came pretty quick. The water was a little high and murky I would say. The pattern for me seemed to be the top of pools created by rocks. Getting my bait on the bottom and dragging it back across that protected area was producing the best results. The closer to the rock and current, the better. My main bait of choice was a Confidence Baits large bird texas rigged on a size 2 off-set worm hook and 1/4oz tungsten bullet weight. I know 1/4 is a little heavy but I broke off all my 1/8oz bullet weights and the heavier weight let me get close to that transitional current at the rocks. I tried using a dragon head but the bullet weight did a better job of allowing me to feel the bottom in this instance.

photo (2).jpg

A lot of the fish were small, but they fought hard! I think going back with an ultra light set up would be a blast. After getting a handful of small fish I got my limit within the first 30 minutes and planned to weed through the little ones in hopes of catching a biggin.

photo (5).jpg

Things seemed to slow down as the sun got warmer and it was hard to stay focused as it started to get hot. Thinking that the pattern may have changed I looked around and figured I'd try the shaded shore lines. It didn't take long to get a hit so I must have been just in time. I tied on my own DirtyRed Baits 3" swim shad and a confidence baits 1/4oz dragon head and starting making really long casts towards the bank. I wasn't concerned with getting it right at the edge as I was imagining submerged rocks being around 2 to 3 feet so I essentially paired the shade with the existing pattern and ripping it back as I hit the sunlight to save time out of the strike zone. Right as I was about to rip it back, a nice looking bronzeback came from nowhere and scooped it up. I saw him engulf it but didn't feel anything. I wanted to set the hook so bad, but I gave him a second to adjust and get a good hold of it then gave him a tight snap. Those dragon head hooks are super sharp so it doesn't take much with a stiff rod and braid/fluro leader.

photo (4).jpg1052608_555023424555804_610996527_o.jpgphoto (3).jpg

Once I got him in the net the excitement came. That's why we fish. That's why I fish anyway. I wait days, sometimes weeks to feel that. Trying to stay calm because I knew it didn't count until I got the pic, my hands were shaking and my heart was pounding. It's an 18" fish, but it's my personal best and I knew it was a solid contender for the third event. At this point I have 7 or 8 photos on my phone and I'm trying to find ways to upgrade the smaller fish. I jumped up in size with a rage craw and focused just on the deeper sections of water. If I came across something over 5' I would sit there a little longer.

I finished the day with 12.5, 13.25, 18". That gave me first place and biggest bass.
      Other than a long float trip I went on earlier this year, I don't have much river fishing experience. I have to give Jeff Little credit for his series of kayak fishing DVD's, they help a lot and I'm always checking in on his YouTube channel to learn and try new techniques.
      Thank you! to Greg Kreps at PRADCO Fishing. He sponsored the event and tossed in a box FULL! of different hard and soft baits for the big bass prize.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

I came in second with a 15, 14, and 11.75. Jon thats an awesome 18 incher! Congrats on the win and big bass!! I spent a lot of time in the eddies of larger rocks working those deeper pools and edges of the eddies. Thats were all mine came from.

Comment

I finished out of the Top Ten with 35.25 inches total.

Launched up at Lander and spent all day in that section. Caught all of my smallmouth on 3.5" tubes. First time I've tried this rigging method called the "stupid tube".

Used a 1/4 ounce head so I could feel that bottom contact. The stupid tube works pretty well (good hooking percentage and the rigging is largely weedless/snagless).

Caught a lot of smallmouths throughout the day. Just could not find the size. Landed some that were so small I wondered how they managed to get the tube in their mouths.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks Bryan. Hope you and everyone else in position for the lead can make it. It'll be a close call for myself but I should be good to go. Thanks for that stupid tube pic, Dave. Never seen that before and would be worth a shot. Also thanks again for sticking around for some of us while we grabbed our vehicles. There was a town bbq or something at Brunswick so the run back took a little longer.
            -Jon
            Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
              Thanks for that stupid tube pic, Dave. Never seen that before and would be worth a shot.
              That rigging gives the tube that erratic darting motion on the drop and the tube does not slide down the hook on the hook-set like it can with a regular texas rig.
              Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

I will post up official stuff tonight when I get a chance

Comment

Saturday was another fun event for MAKBF. I have definitely liked fishing this series this year because it's introduced me to new areas to fish and taking me out of my comfort zone. I've never targeted smallmouth before so I did a bit of research on the area and tactics beforehand but was pretty much going in with little knowledge about river fishing. l started out the morning catching 3 within the first half an hour at point of rocks all on a Mann's baby minus 1. Fish number two ended up being my biggest for the day at 14.75". The third fish I caught coughed up a small shad on to my yak so thats the second picture below.
                  IMG_4195.jpgIMG_4199.jpgIMG_4204.jpg
                  Then I switched to a tube and ended up catching two catfish which were pretty good fights. A little later in the day for about 20 minutes I fished in a ripple and on 3 casts in a row had a smallmouth. Ended up catching about 9-10 smallmouth but most were around 8-10" I was fortunate enough to get fourth place, my third top 10 finish! Congrats to Jsnyd85, that 18" was a beast! Unfortunately I won't be able to make the last and final event due to an offshore trip for tuna I've been planning for a while.

After getting back to Annapolis, Matt and I decided to hit the BB to try for some stripers. The noaa forecast said S winds 5-10 waves 1 foot...not so bad. Well we got out there around 6:30, the waves weren't too bad and we quickly filled up on spot to liveline. Went out and fished the pilings from 20-30ft of water to building seas. At some points we were riding 3-5 footers while trying to stay close to the pilings. I would not have been out there by myself to say the least. I ended up having one runoff and brought the 20" or so to the side of the yak where I grabbed the leader, gave it a yank to bring it in the yak, only to pull the spot and hook out of its mouth! I think my issue is I don't let the fish run with it enough when using circle hooks. That was it for striper action for the night and I checked the forecast again when I got back which had been updated to gusts to 25, smallcraft advisory, and 3-5ft seas. I went out again in the morning and fished until about 9:30 when I started to get poured on. Caught one 16" on micro spot and had one other run off that didn't come tight. I will definitely be at it again soon.
                  IMG_4210.jpg
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

1- Jon Snyder - 43.25"
                    2- Bryan Herndon - 40.75"
                    3- Robert Clemente - 40.5"
                    4- Shane Clift - 39.5"
                    5- Frank Krainaker - 39.25"
                    6- Alberto Tabian - 39"
                    7- Jeremy Angle - 38.5"
                    8- Kodi Bowers - 37.75"
                    9- Wayne Chmielewski - 36.25"
                    10- Zach Huntington - 35.5"

As for myself it was a long day.. I finished with 32.75" and caught 5-6 smallies, but nothing bigger that 11.5". I also caught a channel cat which I was sure the winning smallie and some sunfish.

My Dad caught fish as well, but also all small. He turtled early in the day and that kinda got him out of his groove. He lost the rod he was using, which was a regular cork handled rod... so he is now restricted to only floating overboard rods lol He also found himself further down river than he planned to be and he was in a loaned Jackson Coosa, not the easiest kayak to paddle against the current, so I helped tow him back up river closer to Point of Rocks. Next year for this event, we will definitely do the float!

I also have updated the Angler of the Year standings on the other thread!!! The final event is gonna be a fun one!!

Comment

Shane,
                      Saw you used a Hobie at POR...how was the water level? Any potential damage spots for the Hobie in that section of the river that weren't visible?
                      Thanks,
                      Bruce

Comment

Originally posted by lordofthemanor View Post
                        Shane,
                        Saw you used a Hobie at POR...how was the water level? Any potential damage spots for the Hobie in that section of the river that weren't visible?
                        Thanks,
                        Bruce
                        Bruce,

Mike, Matt, and I all used Hobie's at POR for the tournament. I didn't really have any issues with the water level being decently high but I'm sure that would be different story with a lower level. They did help a ton gettin back upstream after drifting down for a bit. The only time I got worried about the mirage drive was when I got caught going downstream in a riffle at the end of the day, pushed the fins flat aginat the underside of the hull but felt a nice scrap as I went over the rock, no damage to the mirag drive though. I would just say check the river level before you go if you're going to use a Hobie.
                        Shane
                        Hobie Outback

Comment

Thanks, Shane. Sounds like I'll be using my other kayak there and keep my Revo safe.
                          Bruce

Comment

Working...
                          X