Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event 3 - Upper Potomac

Check in Location - Canal Road, Point of Rocks, MD 21777

These are the other launches that will be allowed for this event. Giving 3 legal launches including the Point of Rocks Location

Either the ramp at Lander or the ramp at Brunswick make good starting points to float down to the ramp at Point of Rocks. I believe the rule of thumb is covering about 1 mile per hour of fishing. Of course you can camp out on the good spots and spend all day there. At the current river levels the only spot to pay attention to is the little drop into the pool right above Lander (it's really not that big of a deal, you just want to pick your spot or head to the shore and work you way through it).

See below, I put a red circle around the launch ramps in the map (and a link to each ramps site for the address).

Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.41 miles (roughly a 2.5 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick7.pdf

Brunswick to Point of Rocks is 6.22 miles (roughly a 6.25 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick2.pdf

Here are those maps and the links to the ramps

Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.41 miles (roughly a 2.5 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick7.pdf

Brunswick to Point of Rocks is 6.22 miles (roughly a 6.25 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick2.pdf

Point of Rocks: http://www.dnr.state.md.us/boating/p...rederick12.pdf
    Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

If you are interested in launching up at Lander or Brunswick to float down to Point of Rocks for the tournament post up in this thread if you are looking for partners to coordinate your shuttle with.

I am volunteering to watch gear at Point of Rocks at the end of the day for those who need to drive back to Lander or Brunswick to retrieve their vehicles. We can pull kayaks off to the side and I will keep an eye on everything until you return.
      Dave

Comment

At this point I am planning to launch from Lander. Dave I'll probably take you up on the offer to watch gear if someone can get me back to the car. Alternately if you can carry two yaks I'll get you back to Lander if that is your plan.
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks for volunteering, Dave. I am definitely going and am also interested in launching up river. Ideally I'd launch at Brunswick, but I'm fine with Lander as well.

p.s.

As long as I remember to bring the extra racks I can take 2 yaks up to lander. acg, I might hit you up in a day or two if no one else posts with interest to float.
          Last edited by jsnyd86; 06-19-2013, 10:26 AM.
          -Jon
          Revo 13

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
            Thanks for volunteering, Dave. I am definitely going and am also interested in launching up river. Ideally I'd launch at Brunswick, but I'm fine with Lander as well.

p.s.

As long as I remember to bring the extra racks I can take 2 yaks up to lander. acg, I might hit you up in a day or two if no one else posts with interest to float.
            Jon, I am also interested in launching at Brunswick if you need someone to shuttle with. I can also take two yaks, but I offered Matt my spare tarpon 120 if anyone wants to use it so I may be taking two yaks with me already. I am also willing to hang around afterward and make sure everyone makes it to their car.

Comment

I plan to float from up river probably lander My nephew is supposed to come with me if he can rent a sit on top for the weekend so if he does i will have a pick up to shuttle back up to the launch if he does not come I might need to hit up some one for a ride back to my car if he comes I will have room if anyone needs a lift
              D Hawk
              Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
              Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

Originally posted by dhawk View Post
                I plan to float from up river probably lander My nephew is supposed to come with me if he can rent a sit on top for the weekend so if he does i will have a pick up to shuttle back up to the launch if he does not come I might need to hit up some one for a ride back to my car if he comes I will have room if anyone needs a lift
                I have an extra Tarpon 100 if your nephew needs it
                Dave

Comment

Looking forward to seeing everyone there!! looks like the water is gonna be a little dirty, so fishing might be a little tough, but the fish should be hungry.

Check in from 6am-7am at Point of Rocks Launch only.
                  Last edited by CB kayak 02; 06-20-2013, 10:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
                    Looking forward to seeing everyone there!! looks like the water is gonna be a little dirty, so fishing might be a little tough, but the fish should be hungry.

Check in from 6am-7am at Point of Rocks Launch only.
                    Matt, if we check in at 6 can we go right up river and launch or is there going to be a specified launch time? Also, what time will we need to be back by?

Comment

If there is still someone who needs a kayak to use, I have a spare tarpon 120 I can bring. Let me know sometime today, otherwise I am going to leave it at home so I have open rack space to help with shuttling.

Comment

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                        Matt, if we check in at 6 can we go right up river and launch or is there going to be a specified launch time? Also, what time will we need to be back by?
                        Looks like we can start fishing at 7:00 A.M.

6:00 am - Registration opens
                        7:00 am - Safe Launch and lines in the water
                        2:30 pm - Check in starts
                        3:30 pm - Check in ends, must be in line by 3:30pm
                        3:45-4:00 - Awards
                        Dave

Comment

Ill try to check in shortly after six and still looking to go as far up as I can. BigFluke, I'll be in a blue forester with a red stealth if you're still looking for someone to shuttle up with. I can also carry an extra yak if there are stragglers.

are we breaking off early and using the honor system to launch at 7?
                          -Jon
                          Revo 13

Comment

Jon, I still need someone to shuttle with. I am going to aim to get there around six. I have a red Hyundai hatchback with green commander. Since it sounds like we both have room for an extra yak, it may be easiest to just take one car up there, but we can work out the shuttle tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                              Ill try to check in shortly after six and still looking to go as far up as I can. BigFluke, I'll be in a blue forester with a red stealth if you're still looking for someone to shuttle up with. I can also carry an extra yak if there are stragglers.

are we breaking off early and using the honor system to launch at 7?
                              Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                              Jon, I still need someone to shuttle with. I am going to aim to get there around six. I have a red Hyundai hatchback with green commander. Since it sounds like we both have room for an extra yak, it may be easiest to just take one car up there, but we can work out the shuttle tomorrow.
                              Yes check in, then you can go to the location you plan on launching of the 3 approved launches... Then yes the honor system will be in effect for launching at 7am... If anyone is running late, please call me and I can leave an identifier in my windshield wiper and you can pay upon check in at the end of the day....

240-9972414

Comment

Working...
                              X