No announcement yet.

Liberty?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Piney Run was the res I was thinking about going to last year. I didn't want to buy the MD fresh license though.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Yes, those "reservoir rigs" are quite amazing. Val used to bring his reservoir rig by the tackle shop on occasion, on the trailer. Custom Tackle was an old fashioned type tackle shop, where we used to sit around drink coffee and talk fishing, or in other parlay, BS.

Anything to catch those fish! It does compute, as far as the fish go. The reservoirs are deep cool water, which are probably, in part, spring fed, which helps to keep the water in good quality during the summer. It stands to reason that the fishing is good.

I have my kayak registered, but as a kayak. When I added the electric motor, I had to register it. Quite frankly, that may not be a problem. If it is a problem, I'll get a canoe just for the reservoir. West Marine sells a roto-moulded canoe/kayak type boat. Since I wrote that reply, I recently came up with that solution. They make the kayak brand known as nucanoe or some of the other hybrid types. Reservoir fishing is another option, that many of us need to consider to expand our fishing in Maryland. It is one of those areas that I had forgotten about. I love catching smallmouth. That is why I like to fish the upper Potomac. The reservoirs would be another option in that regard.

Comment

I agree, there was great hysteria about the zebra mussels. However, the mussels have seemed to clean up the great lakes. You read all of the articles about the clean up efforts in the great lakes area, but one has to wonder if it was actually the zebra mussels. My last trip to Chicago, I was amazed at how clean the water was right off the convention center. Cities and companies have learned to spray and/or discharge clorine into the intake pipes to clear the mussels. Of course, the new threat seems to come from the grass carp in the great lakes. One must also wonder, if the Japanese oyster plan would help the Chesapeake Bay, with filtration.

Years ago, when the zebra mussel thing was still in panic mode, it was actually predicted that the zebra mussels would come down the Susquehanna. Aside from people spreading the mussels, that was the predicted threat to this area. It has apparently taken longer than predicted. Articles back then were not sure about how far into the bay the mussels would go, as they are fresh water species. It was also estimated that if they did go into the flats area, the crabs would eat alot of the mussels. There were all kinds of theories. Remember when the world was going to end in the year 2000, Y2K, due to computer crashes.

As far as the reservoirs go, there was also some concern with aquatic vegitation in the reservoirs. That is another reason that boats, canoes and kayaks are inspected before launching in some reservoirs. Back when hydrilla [spell ?] was spreading in the U.S., that was also a concern about getting into the reservoirs. I have not heard if that ever came to be a problem in Maryland reservoirs. Hydrilla, as it turned out, was part of the come back for the Potomac LM bass fishery. I understand that hydrilla can grow in water with a 7% saltwater solution. I don't know how far that would put it into the bay waters.

These are very interesting subjects.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
          Yes, those "reservoir rigs" are quite amazing. Val used to bring his reservoir rig by the tackle shop on occasion, on the trailer. Custom Tackle was an old fashioned type tackle shop, where we used to sit around drink coffee and talk fishing, or in other parlay, BS.

Anything to catch those fish! It does compute, as far as the fish go. The reservoirs are deep cool water, which are probably, in part, spring fed, which helps to keep the water in good quality during the summer. It stands to reason that the fishing is good.

I have my kayak registered, but as a kayak. When I added the electric motor, I had to register it. Quite frankly, that may not be a problem. If it is a problem, I'll get a canoe just for the reservoir. West Marine sells a roto-moulded canoe/kayak type boat. Since I wrote that reply, I recently came up with that solution. They make the kayak brand known as nucanoe or some of the other hybrid types. Reservoir fishing is another option, that many of us need to consider to expand our fishing in Maryland. It is one of those areas that I had forgotten about. I love catching smallmouth. That is why I like to fish the upper Potomac. The reservoirs would be another option in that regard.
          the best solution would be the Hobie Pro Angler ......... Hobie even list's it as a boat and not a kayak .........it's wide stable and fairly fast .........

oh ....... and it's usually not good fishing ......... Liberty will make you work for it on most days .............. the bay is much easier .........

Comment

I purchased a permit to fish it in 2009 but not 2010. Im certainly going to pick one up this year though. Ive already compiled a reasonable amount of information about preferred forage, etc.

I have a hobie so trolling crankbaits over the channel edges wont be quite as difficult. Still cant compete with the distance that the electric rigs can cover, but I will just need to be more focused.

How long until spring again?
            Jason

Comment

responce to liberty

the only problem with liberty res is that you need a permit and i believe it is $60 per year to fish. Its a great place to fish. Have you ever put in at nicodemus bridge and fish the north end. I live in joppatowne and the ride to the bay bridge can be a chore.

Comment

typically I would cross over the nicodemus bridge, park on the right hand side and follow the trails down to the water and launch from there. I would fish the areas north of the bridge. The bridge area (Deer Park Road) is now closed due to construction. (Until late 2011).
                Jason

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                  typically I would cross over the nicodemus bridge, park on the right hand side and follow the trails down to the water and launch from there. I would fish the areas north of the bridge. The bridge area (Deer Park Road) is now closed due to construction. (Until late 2011).
                  Don't get caught ........ they WILL take your Yak and auction it and revoke your permit as well as fines .......... can only launch at the designated ramps which are by the Liberty Rd Bridge .......... if they see you car with a Yak Rack they will look for you and wait for you ........... the Watershed/DNR police don't fool around at the reservoirs .......... and the City really doesn't want you there so they make it hard and fully enforce the rules .........

Comment

Interesting you say that. I dont have the Baltimore City Reservoir boating guide in front of me, but I dont recall any regulation indicating that you can only put in at the boat ramp located off of Rt. 26.

It is entirely possible that I missed that regulation...
                    Jason

Comment

Originally posted by longislandtomd View Post
                      Interesting you say that. I dont have the Baltimore City Reservoir boating guide in front of me, but I dont recall any regulation indicating that you can only put in at the boat ramp located off of Rt. 26.

It is entirely possible that I missed that regulation...
                      Again ......... unless the rules changed in the last 10-15 years which I doubt ........... these Barney's LOVED to catch someone launching illegally or fishing in the restricted areas .............. and the City loves this revenue almost as much as they love the parking fines ........ seldom do they let you off and seldom do they waive the fine ..........

Comment

http://www.baltimorecity.gov/LinkCli...=1352&mid=2409 ........ page 11 ...... must use the ramps

Comment

Memory: They seem to mention boats, kayaks and canoes with different regard. It says boats must be launched at designated ramps. Could that just mean boats, with kayaks and canoes being able to launch at other places. Just curious.

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                            Memory: They seem to mention boats, kayaks and canoes with different regard. It says boats must be launched at designated ramps. Could that just mean boats, with kayaks and canoes being able to launch at other places. Just curious.
                            You might want to call the number on the brochure and ask them but I think you will find that they mean all of the boats including kayaks canoes etc. .... although you would probably win in court because they mention all 3 in other places and not about launching ......... but I don't think it would get you out of a ticket.

Comment

A few quick thoughts before we get back to actual fishing talk. My understanding is that kayaks canoes and other non boats were only allowed within the last 4 to 5 years.

Also, the language of the boating guide is clear...boats must launch from a ramp. In several other sections it makes specific mention of other sorts of craft. Based on my interpretation of the statute, I am 100% comfortable launching my non-boat from alternative locations. (Although, frankly, in the warmer months, i will be launching from the rt 26 ramp)

If anyone ever has any problems with this sort of thing, please let me know. We will see how I can help out, pro bono.
                              Jason

Comment

We're all waiting to see what happens to you! Famous last words: "...but officer it only says boats...." Only kidding, only kidding, it may be best to check. This may have already been decided and a simple phone call will resolve any questions. Possibly the fishing center at Loch Raven would have those answers.

Memory Maker may be closer that ever when he says, "they really don't want people fishing there anyway." It does seem that may be the case, so they make the rules difficult. Besides, the closer to the ramps, the quicker it is to find those who have fallen overboard. The decomp tends to make the water taste funny.
                                Last edited by DOGFISH; 12-22-2010, 11:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X