Nets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nets

I'm thinking about getting a net to take along with me on my adventures. Let me know what you use and what you like/dislike about your net (or maybe you think nets are useless?). I'm pretty sure the rubber ones are the way to go but want some other opinions/suggestions on brands, models, etc.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

I like the EGO floating nets. For the kayak, you can screw in the handle for a longer reach, or take it off for shorter reach or storage on the kayak. It is made of safe type net material, for not hurting the fish when netted.

Most times I don't like taking a net with me. However, there are those times when a net makes sense.
    Last edited by DOGFISH; 06-11-2013, 08:38 PM.

Comment

I am about to give up on nets! It's been a nightmare getting my xraps out of the net after landing a rockfish. I am in such a hurry to get my lines back out, I end up snipping the treble hooks out of the net.

I am on my second net in four months due to holes, LOL. If it wasn't for my recent snakehead...I don't think I would carry a net.
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

I usually dont even bring a net kayak fishing unless going after specks or flounder. Pretty much everything else you can easily grab the leader and flip in the kayak or use fish grip, but that just me...
        Ryan
        Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I have a folding Frabil net, it's small and takes up little room when folded and it's easy to open.

I found it at Walmart for about $20.00

For snakeheads, I use a gaff - stick 'em and rip 'em.
          HOBIE: 2012 PA-14 (Dune) & 2013 PA-14 (Yellow)

Comment

Originally posted by Shady View Post
            I usually dont even bring a net kayak fishing unless going after specks or flounder. Pretty much everything else you can easily grab the leader and flip in the kayak or use fish grip, but that just me...
            Yeah I was really just thinking about using it for catfish or snakehead if I ever get a chance to head down and try for them. For bass I like the leader/fish grip/lip method.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

I have a Frabil slide net (where the handle slides in and out for easier storage) that got a bunch of holes for the same reason Jeremy stated (who said fishing builds patience??). Rather than buy a new net, I recently bought a rubber replacement netting that fit perfectly on it ($15 at BPS). I haven't gotten a fish in it (due to the awful skunk on the boat last time I was out) but I did notice that gliding it through the water it is considerably much heaver to maneuver. Not sure how much that will affect landing a fish but it is something to consider. Supposedly those new tangle free nets avoid a lot of the treble hook issues... but the rubber net seems to be the best at that.
              -Mustafa
              ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13
              "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                I am about to give up on nets! It's been a nightmare getting my xraps out of the net after landing a rockfish. I am in such a hurry to get my lines back out, I end up snipping the treble hooks out of the net.

I am on my second net in four months due to holes, LOL. If it wasn't for my recent snakehead...I don't think I would carry a net.
                Rubber net will solve that. I use a Frabill 3605 net http://thehobielife.blogspot.com/201...kayak-net.html

I would suggest this net to anyone looking for something kinda all purpose but not really made for huge stripers or reds, which you wouldn't use a net anyways. I throw majority crankbaits and topwater with two trebles and have no issues removing from the net..

Comment

Originally posted by DOGFISH View Post
                  I like the EGO floating nets. For the kayak, you can screw in the handle for a longer reach, or take it off for shorter reach or storage on the kayak. It is made of safe type net material, for not hurting the fish when netted.

Most times I don't like taking a net with me. However, there are those times when a net makes sense.
                  what size ego net have you been using, the small 14"x16" or medium 17"x19.
                  sigpic

Comment

I'm with Shady, flounder and specks get the net if I'm looking for dinner otherwise it usually stays home. I have been making a small change to that and carrying it while I'm after snakehead after I lost a couple better fish at the boat. Been using a frabil with an extendable handle. It has the old style netting but if I'm netting it I'm eating it so I'm not worried about the fishes health. Otherwise I just lip 'em or drag 'em over the side.

Comment

I use the small ego and it has served me well since it floats.

41EourDCLxL.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by jet View Post
                        what size ego net have you been using, the small 14"x16" or medium 17"x19.
                        Medium. It is sort of like a basket net. It also has an extendable handle, which can be removed. It works for me, when I take a net.

Comment

Working...
                        X