Maiden voyage Cuda 14

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maiden voyage Cuda 14

So, I have my new Forest Camo Cuda 14. I know it is not the orange but things happen and I deceided to purchase the forest camo with a rudder.

Anyway I rigged it accordingly,
    Placed Keel Easy on the front, this worked well for my PA and should do fine on the Cuda
    Decided to put transducer inside hull along with battery (worked for over 4 yrs. in PA so I figured don’t change what works) Installed transducer and placed battery for fishfinder in dry bag and placed in hull just like PA.

Looked like she should be fine so I take her for a maiden voyage on the Patapsco River out of Ft. Smallwood Park.
    She handles well and was pleasantly surprised how easily the Cuda 14 paddles and tracks. Now it is different from the Pro Angler but it was very easy to get to the launch and handle.
    The PA was a monster launching from an area such as this and my knees could no longer handle the weight. The Cuda was so light compared to PA it was amazing and great for the knees and back.

I first paddled without the rudder then deployed the rudder. It paddles well either way but the rudder will serve me well while fishing and drifting.

The Lowrance Elite 4 worked well with the transducer in the hull. No complaints here.

The seat was much better and comfortable than my Pro Angler but I had a 2009 model. I cannot speak for the new style seats on the PA.
    I was very happy with the way the Cuda tracked, paddled, and handled.

Now for storage I had my PA stored on the cradles from Hobie which worked well. So for the Cuda I obtained J cradles and bolted them where the PA cradles were and works GREAT!

Tomorrow I will take it fishing out of Jonas Green so watch for further updates
    Attached Files
    Last edited by On the fly; 06-05-2013, 02:42 PM.

Looks awesome "bud" !!!! :-)

I am sure you are more experienced than me :-) !! I went out at Jonas last week and made my way past the three radio towers to greet the Chesapeake for my first time.. got out about 3/4 mile amid tons of crab pots. Spied a large sailboat tacking my way and stopped paddling to let it pass... and then about 10 minutes later a very large cabin cruiser was making it's way in from the north.... we were passing port to port at some distance, all looked good... and then she made a sudden turn to my direction.

I am guessing "they" didn't see me at this time and or their GPS was telling them the crab pots were near...
    They turned to port and right my way...
    The channel buoy was to their port, then I saw them cut the engines hard and correct their course.

I think they finally saw me in my orange/yellow boat.... sort of scared me a bit my first time out of the rivers
    of the bay.

I am quite a newbie... but it sure alerted me to being noticed in the water... I've got a whistle and horn...
    But I imagine if I were in a Camo' kayak... I'd have needed flares to alert them to my presence.

I'm sure these boats see us and say..."xxxkkkxxx freaking yaks".

Nice boat...maybe see ya out at Jonas tomorrow.

Rob.

Comment

Strummerfan and myself are launching at Jonas Green at 7 am if you wish to join us. I use a flag about 5 ft above deck, I wear a yellow vest with reflective material, and always dress with bright clothing as well as use bright yellow paddle blades. Hopefully, they will see all of this first since the yak is at water level but even people in bright yaks get run over. As long as the theory is if I can start the boat then I must be quailified in the marine world these problems with exisit. Not to mention if a little alcohol works then more must be better while boating. Not saying all are like that only the people running over yaks. Also keep in mind that the chances of you being struck by the port side of their vessel is greater than the starboard. This is because the wheel is on the starboard and they tend to look on that side of the vessel. I believe last year on south river one of our members was struck by the port side of a boat possibly for this reason. A video was posted earlier this year of a kayaker being struck in a river by the port side of a small boat. Not sure how true this is but seem to have a pattern so keep this in mind when watching other vessels.

Look out for yourself is the best advise.
      Last edited by On the fly; 06-04-2013, 07:11 PM.

Comment

When going to the bay from JG, hug the port shore after you pass the Navy boatyard as it is shallow and no one will come in that close. The thing you really have to watch in the Severn is the wakes. The speed limit is 35 MPH and deep V vessels will throw a good wake at that speed.

When you come out of the Severn in a boat and want to go to Baltimore, there is a clear passageway ( err somewhat clear) through the crab pots going to the main channel. It is marked with white tubular bouys. If you hug the shore as you go around the naval station and past Carr creek, you can fish top water between Carr Creek and Greenbury Point. I have had good luck early in the morning and early evening with top water plugs in that area. The water is only 3 feet deep at mean low tide so you don't have to sweat being run over.

John
        John

Ocean Kayak Trident 13 Angler (Sand)
        MK Endura Max 55 backup power
        Vibe Skipjack 90

Graduate of the University of the Republic of South Vietnam, class of 1972

Comment

Thanks guys to the comments... these are the things I need to learn
          and appreciate from your experience as a newbie in these waters.

Thanks again.
          Rob.

Comment

I have a 2012 Cuda 14, which I have been paddling for a year. I absolutely love it. Enjoy your purchase.
            Ed
            Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Working...
            X