Point of Rocks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Point of Rocks

So.. as some of you know. The next MAKBF event is the 22nd at Point of Rocks. I've never been so I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone wants to come with either this or next weekend. I'd like to do a short float reasonably around the same area as the tourney launch site. I can't shuttle myself so please let me know if you're interested. I'd really hate to resort to paddling up river just to float back down. If anyone has a little info for me it would be greatly appreciated. Any safety tips, hazards or other launch points.
    -Jon
    Revo 13

Either the ramp at Lander or the ramp at Brunswick make good starting points to float down to the ramp at Point of Rocks. I believe the rule of thumb is covering about 1 mile per hour of fishing. Of course you can camp out on the good spots and spend all day there. At the current river levels the only spot to pay attention to is the little drop into the pool right above Lander (it's really not that big of a deal, you just want to pick your spot or head to the shore and work you way through it).

See below, I put a red circle around the launch ramps in the map (and a link to each ramps site for the address).

Are you on KBF? Sempr was looking for someone to do that float with this weekend.

Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.41 miles (roughly a 2.5 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick7.pdf

Brunswick to Point of Rocks is 6.22 miles (roughly a 6.25 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick2.pdf

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Excellent. Thanks Dave. I'm not to active on KBF, but I'll pop in and check it out.
      -Jon
      Revo 13

Comment

turtle already covered the places I know of to start a float to point of rocks. I will include this link for anyone who hasn't seen it and is interested in places to put in/take out on the Potomac, http://www.riverexplorer.com/index.html. I've never fished this section, but have floated from the 340 bridge to Brunswick a few times. This is a nice float and where I've caught my biggest smallmouth to date (~18.5"). so it'll be interesting to try the section below here.

I'm also planning on making the next MAKBF event there. I am going up to Jamaica Bay in NY this weekend and have a hike planned for the next Saturday. I am planning on fishing the Sunday (6/16) before the tournament if you're, or anyone else, is interested in going then.

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
          Either the ramp at Lander or the ramp at Brunswick make good starting points to float down to the ramp at Point of Rocks. I believe the rule of thumb is covering about 1 mile per hour of fishing. Of course you can camp out on the good spots and spend all day there. At the current river levels the only spot to pay attention to is the little drop into the pool right above Lander (it's really not that big of a deal, you just want to pick your spot or head to the shore and work you way through it).

See below, I put a red circle around the launch ramps in the map (and a link to each ramps site for the address).

Are you on KBF? Sempr was looking for someone to do that float with this weekend.

Lander to Point of Rocks is about 2.41 miles (roughly a 2.5 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick7.pdf

Brunswick to Point of Rocks is 6.22 miles (roughly a 6.25 hour float):

http://www.dnr.maryland.gov/boating/...Frederick2.pdf

So Dave is it possible to launch at Point of Rocks and cover some area and still get back to the launch?

Also what is the average water depth in the POR area?

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
            So Dave is it possible to launch at Point of Rocks and cover some area and still get back to the launch? Also what is the average water depth in the POR area?
            River levels will go up and down depending on rainfall. Currently the gauge at Point of Rocks is at 2.40 feet.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/md/nwis/uv?site_no=01638500

I've done single access trips at Point of Rocks and have caught plenty of smallmouth bass both up and downstream from the launch. I will hit that section this Sunday with my fish finder and report back what a cross section of the river is like depth wise.
            Dave

Comment

Matt, this is not Hobie country out here, if that is what you're thinking about using the mirage drive. If you bring your Hobie, I'd really suggest a paddle and leaving the mirage drive in the truck/car. I have seen and heard of people doing it, but I think its like rolling the dice. There are some sections with current and ledges and they snag anything external on the kayak and pull.

The river has been up lately but average rain fall have dropped and the river level is slowly going down and by the end of the month it will be normal or low!
              "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I was out there last year with my canoe. The current can get strong in some areas. Also, there are a lot of large rocks just beneath the water's surface that could get in the way of your yak's fins. I am by no means an expert, that is just my observation from having been there.

I actually "rescued" someone out there whose engine died on their jon boat. A 30 something aged guy, young kid - maybe 6 or 7 years old, and a dog. How many life vests on board? NONE. Did he have a spare paddle? NO. I let him use my spare canoe paddle to get in to shore. Fortunately the kid thought it was an adventure and was not in the least bit scared. But, no PFD's???

To top it off, the guy's friends who were on shore waiting for him to come in were laughing up a storm.
                Laura (aka zeebyrd)
                Perception Pescador Pro 100

Comment

When I go out on Sunday I will be taking a look at the water with the Mirage Drive in mind. The Potomac River in that area has a lot of water in that 1 to 4 foot range with some deeper areas that go 7-8 feet.

As far as moving up and down river. I have launched at Lander fished down river a mile or so past Point of Rocks and then paddled back to Lander in one day (at similar river levels).

Matt, I will touch base with you after my Sunday trip and we can start a thread promoting the 3rd event. I can post up the map information, some directions for those that want to shuttle and some general information about smallmouth fishing in that section of the Potomac.
                  Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
                    When I go out on Sunday I will be taking a look at the water with the Mirage Drive in mind. The Potomac River in that area has a lot of water in that 1 to 4 foot range with some deeper areas that go 7-8 feet.

As far as moving up and down river. I have launched at Lander fished down river a mile or so past Point of Rocks and then paddled back to Lander in one day (at similar river levels).

Matt, I will touch base with you after my Sunday trip and we can start a thread promoting the 3rd event. I can post up the map information, some directions for those that want to shuttle and some general information about smallmouth fishing in that section of the Potomac.
                    Cool I'll be looking forward to the info, maybe I'll test it out next week, depending on what you think. I'm more or less worried about my dad in my PA 12.... I've already set up a loaner paddler yak for myself for the event, thanks to Shady!

Comment

Matt, I have an old tarpon 120 which is a spare that I can bring if your dad or anyone wants to use it. Also, are we going to have to put in and take out at point of rocks or will we be able to arrange a float?

Comment

Originally posted by zeebyrd View Post
                        I was out there last year with my canoe. The current can get strong in some areas. Also, there are a lot of large rocks just beneath the water's surface that could get in the way of your yak's fins. I am by no means an expert, that is just my observation from having been there.

I actually "rescued" someone out there whose engine died on their jon boat. A 30 something aged guy, young kid - maybe 6 or 7 years old, and a dog. How many life vests on board? NONE. Did he have a spare paddle? NO. I let him use my spare canoe paddle to get in to shore. Fortunately the kid thought it was an adventure and was not in the least bit scared. But, no PFD's???

To top it off, the guy's friends who were on shore waiting for him to come in were laughing up a storm.
                        Wow. No PFD's?!?? Not funny. Not cool. The Potomac, Shenandoah, Susquehanna, any river, bay, creek, inlet, tidal or otherwise is not something to trifle with. Wear your PFD ALL THE TIME. Maybe you get hot, maybe the waters are calm... just loosen it up a bit. Keep it connected all the way around you and NEVER take it off.

Who mentioned we should have a safety sub-forum? +1,000,000,000,000 etc, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by jsnyd86 View Post
                          So.. as some of you know. The next MAKBF event is the 22nd at Point of Rocks. I've never been so I wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone wants to come with either this or next weekend. I'd like to do a short float reasonably around the same area as the tourney launch site. I can't shuttle myself so please let me know if you're interested. I'd really hate to resort to paddling up river just to float back down. If anyone has a little info for me it would be greatly appreciated. Any safety tips, hazards or other launch points.
                          I have been wanting to do this for a while now, I just haven't had someone else to go with so we could shuttle. I have a pickup truck and can haul boats or gear between the access points. I'm pretty sure I have nothing to do these next couple weekends so I could go whenever.

Comment

got a $70 citation for no whistle at point of rocks last year! Be prepared!
                            14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
                            2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by bigfluke45 View Post
                              Matt, I have an old tarpon 120 which is a spare that I can bring if your dad or anyone wants to use it. Also, are we going to have to put in and take out at point of rocks or will we be able to arrange a float?
                              Thanks Robert, turtle offered a spare yak as well. I may take one of you up on the offer. yes floats will be allowed, but everyone must check in at Point of Rocks in the morning.

Comment

Working...
                              X