Susquehanna River -- Lapidum Launch 6/3/2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Susquehanna River -- Lapidum Launch 6/3/2013

Fished the Susquehanna this morning north of the flats. Launched out of Lapidum ramp around 5:45am once the rain stopped. As soon as I get on the water, it starts to pour and it did not let up for at least an hour. I wasn't going to let this morning go to waste so I tossed my lines out and trolling I went. One rod had an xrap sxr-12 blue sardine, and the other had a lucky craft 100sp suspending jerkbait in blue crack. I have to say the lucky craft has officially out performed the trusty blue sardine or any xrap in general.

The water temp was 74.5 degrees and the forecast was cloudy with a chance of meatballs. On my first pass across the river I landed a 6 inch white perch which was impressive since my lure was 4.75" long. Soon after, I caught one dink and then hooked into a nice smallmouth bass. My first on a kayak and largest ever. It registered 18" but her nose was not touching the bump board, so I would have to give her a 17. I decided to make a few pass between the twin rocks and spencer island where most of the boats trolled. Two hours passed and no action and I lost my blue sardine xrap which just crushed me on the inside.

I gave up and drifted down river to play with the perch and catfish. I was bottom bouncing some night crawlers, but the action was slow also. Very small perch and channel cat. Back in the groove I headed to the twin rocks to try my luck again. Finally....my rod bent, a nice fight with a 24"er on the other end. Got her in the kayak and started to reel in my other line since some boats were headed in my direction. As soon as I reeled the slack, BAM...a rock hit while I was retrieving the lure. Here I sit with two keepers in my lap in less than 2 minutes. Hours of anticipation for minutes of excitement, reminded me of prom night!

Anyway, everyone was catching between 6-12 rockfish and had no problems finding their keepers. Most were live-lining with perch and a few were trolling tube and worm.

Set some new goals for myself this summer:

1. Catch a rockfish in a different location than the Susquehanna
    2. Try to live line for the first time, it seems to produce
    3. Read up on tube and worm and add it to my arsenal

Take care!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Nice outing and Congrats on the 18" smallie That's a nice fish!
    Hurricane Skimmer 128
    WS Pamlico 100

Comment

Thanks Runnin, a very distinctive fighter it was. Sorry about the short shorts....I was soaked and they kept riding, LOL
      2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
      2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Nice Job! That's a nice looking bronzeback!
        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Sounds like a good day Sparky! congrats!
          New to kayak fishing
          Wilderness Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
            Hours of anticipation for minutes of excitement, reminded me of prom night!
            You must have had an interesting prom night!
            Hmmm, wet and smells like fish! Bet you had a good time.
            BTW, I found that slow trolling a Rattl'trap caught everything. Smallies, rock and walleyes.
            That smallie was a chunk!

Comment

Nice catch there.

Outback 2015
              Maui

Comment

Outstanding Jeremy. Nice fish!
                2014 Hobie Dune Outback
                2013 Ocean Kayak Yellow Trident 13
                Rob

Comment

Nice Fish king of one-liners
                  Ryan
                  Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice Bass. I fished there Saturday afternoon with my wife and my friend Ian and we only managed to catch a few small white perch and cats. The perch run didn't last very long this year!

Comment

Way to Go Jeremy! Awesome catches bro!

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                      Two hours passed and no action and I lost my blue sardine xrap which just crushed me on the inside.
                      I know the feeling all too well! But two keepers in 2 minutes totally makes up for it!!
                      -Mustafa
                      ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                      2016 Hobie Outback
                      2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                      "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I was thinking about your goals and I came across this:

Tube-and-Worm Fishing from a Kayak
                        http://www.canoekayak.com/fishing/tube/

You may have already seen it, but I figured it doesn't hurt to share it with others
                        -Mustafa
                        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Hey nice legs lol jk nice report, glad to see theres still keeper stripers around. Interesting about livelining perch, depending on who I ask they say spot is the ticket and perch not so good and others like this report and a few others say perch works well for striper bait. In regards to tube and worm I may pick up some gulp alive sandworms as I seen a few youtube vids of ppl using them. I haven't seen a tackle shop carrying real sandworms...I wonder if someone whos used this method can chime in whether other worms (blood,artificial etc) work equally well.
                          2014 Hobie Outback

Comment

toyomo - I bought some gulp alive sandworms and trolling tube to try out this summer earlier in the year but have yet to try it out. I'll let you know how it goes when I do.

Outback 2015
                            Maui

Comment

Originally posted by toyomo View Post
                              Hey nice legs lol jk nice report, glad to see theres still keeper stripers around. Interesting about livelining perch, depending on who I ask they say spot is the ticket and perch not so good and others like this report and a few others say perch works well for striper bait. In regards to tube and worm I may pick up some gulp alive sandworms as I seen a few youtube vids of ppl using them. I haven't seen a tackle shop carrying real sandworms...I wonder if someone whos used this method can chime in whether other worms (blood,artificial etc) work equally well.
                              I've heard blood, artificial, and even nightcrawlers work. Not sure about a ranking of good to bad though. Also I think perch work well in the Susquehanna/flats because they can be found there whereas spot aren't.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

Working...
                              X