Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of selling the "SS Metro"...(long)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of selling the "SS Metro"...(long)

This short season I've had with the "SS Metro" has been great! I still have a lot to learn, and a lot of things to experience in kayak fishing, but the SS Metro has given me a great dosage of fun. I picked up the yak (Mad River Canoe-Synergy 14) used for just under $400 out the door in September. I've taken it out on the open waters of the Chesapeake & Delaware Bays, along with Severn & South Rivers and their tributaries. Since September, I've rigged the yak with a fish finder, Smart Track Rudder system, and a few other small knick knacks.

The SS Metro has served me well, but I think I am ready to upgrade. It's a great yak...it was fairly stable, pretty fast, equipped with two flush mount rod holders. It had a few drawbacks that I learned to cope with though. High gunwales that kinda made it succeptible to wind (made me add the rudder ASAP), and lack of scupper holes. The lack of scupper holes only became an issue when paddling in rough waters. We went out in the bay with 2.5-3' waves one day (may not have been the smartest decision) and I found myself having to bale water out often. Otherwise the lack of scuppers was not really a big deal.

Anyways...I think I'm ready to upgrade for next season. I plan on putting the "SS Metro" up for sale "as is" sometime during this off season. ("As is" meaning WITH rudder, fish finder with battery & charger, spray skirt). I plan to use this money toward the new yak. I will plan on purchasing the new yak around March 2011, so I haven't decided exactly WHEN I'm gonna sell the "SS Metro".

Before I got into kayak fishing, I had my eyes set on the Ocean Kayak Torque. I'm looking at heading in that direction. This spring will probably be my last chance for a while to get what I want before my child is born.
    <insert witty comment here>

I thought it was impressive how quickly you got up to speed and started installing stuff. I still haven't drilled any holes in my yaks. Won't you be bored with the Torque? It already has a rudder and there are lots of pre-drilled slots for fish finders and stuff.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Sounds like the the SS Metro served you well. Kayak fishing can be a challenge, in fishing and in using the kayak in a safe fashion. This can be very true in larger bodies of water and in the bay. Sounds like you did a great job learning. The Torque should be a nice boat. I like the inter-changable motor pack and keel insert. Like Bill said, it comes with a rudder, an extra large one at that. The Torque should also have sufficient room for those Dos Equis. However, allow yourself enough time to rig the new kayak. March is only a short time before trophy season. You will want to be ready for the big ones. After those long winter months, you will want to be out on the water.

Good luck on the new boat, and congrats on the new child.

Comment

I didn't think about getting bored with the Torque, but I don't think that would be a problem. I welcome the transducer-compatible scupper though. I would have to decide where to install my rod holders, new fish finder, etc. I'm looking forward to it!

Dogfish,
        Thank you
        Good point about the timing of things. As I did with the Synergy, I will probably take it out a few times before really rigging anything up. I test paddled the Torque early this year, so I have some experience (albeit very limited) with it.

One thing I learned this year about my kayak fishing "style" is that I prefer being a minimalist out there. So I doubt you'd see me with a crate carrying a bunch of gear in the rear well. This will allow me to reach back and interchange the motor/keel skeg plug should I need to for whatever reason. (Being flexible enough to turn around and do that was one of the things I specifically tried while test paddling...and was able to do so successfully).

Comment

Oh stop all this whining and be prepared to use it next season... Mrs. MetroMan ain't letting you get no Tourque! LOL

MYT

Comment

LMFAO!! You need to take my "wife training program". This is the convo from this morning that I had with her...

Myt, I will be sure to bring a throw rope to tow you...lol

Comment

I see that there is a lot of screen left to scroll down to... LMAO!

MYT

Comment

Good eye MYT. I thought that sounded too easy.

Comment

LOL!!!! We started talking about christmas shopping

Comment

Metro

I did the same thing with my redfish, loved the kayak but I wanted something with more weight capacity and ocean worthiness... The torque and the trident are not too dissimilar in hull design and I think it would be a great kayak even if you choose to paddle it some days. It seems like a better idea than the hobie sometimes, at least you can just sit back and cruise!
                    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

You two guys (MM & MYT) ought to take this on the road! LOL!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                        It seems like a better idea than the hobie sometimes, at least you can just sit back and cruise!
                        Yeah, Hobie guys dont have to worry about a heavy battery though lol!

I'm gonna scour the market for a used one (already got some nice leads). We shall see whats available when its time to pull the trigger!

Comment

Originally posted by jffoley View Post
                          You two guys (MM & MYT) ought to take this on the road! LOL!!!
                          Between our offspring, we plan on strapping the kids to the yaks to multiply our daily catch limits.

Comment

up grading to the torque is pretty good but minimal? remember Murphy's Law. some times i wish i still had my redfish. im waiting for them to come out with an electric jet drive

Comment

I don't know, strapping the kids to the kayaks, sounds like a way to do those Saturday baby sitting chores and double duty to get some kayak fishing in also. Don't let the wives know about that.

I can attest that when the battery goes dead, the propeller does create alot of drag, while trying to paddle. Being able to change out the motor for the keel will be nice. However, I could not give up my crate. Besides, you will need that crate for the childs car seat.

Comment

Working...
                              X