Back from the Grave

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Back from the Grave

Just finishing up building a rod to replace this disaster.

The result of a high sticking clinic i preformed during the first M&G at Hemingway's.

I salvaged the guides, reel seat and gimble from the above mess and slapped it on a seeker Hercules Inshore Lite blank. This blank is great. It has lots of power and should be the perfect heavy Kayak trolling / live bait stick. This will be paired to a Avet SX and 50lb power pro.

Rear Grip

Reel Seat

Front Grip

Butt Wrap

Guide Wrap

This was going to be my Kipto Cow wench but the Weather gods have changed this rod to a Spring time parachute puller.

Now to gob some finish on it and sit it in the corner and stare at it until the cows come home

very impressive. i plan on getting an SX for the fall as well. they are bad a** little reels.
    Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

very impressive work. i plan on getting an SX for the spring as well. they are bad a** little reels.
      Link to fishing vid, oldie but goodie.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...4894489669049#

Comment

Lots of patience, Lots of patience! I do a short diamond wrap on some of my rods. Others, I put a decal and trim wrap the decal. Depends on how I feel at the time the rod is being built. Beyond that I don't have the time or patience for alot of decrative wraps. However, that looks nice. I have about 5 rods to build this winter. I need to get started soon myself. I have always liked Shimano reels, which I have alot of those to clean, lube and service this year.

Of course everything is on hold untill I replace the shorted out electric motor plug for my kayak, which should be done later today. It never ends.

Nice job on that rod.

Comment

Thanks

The little Avets are great reels. Built like a truck. I did not get to test it out much prior to the previous rod exploding but the little time i fished with it it preformed great. I plan on picking up another in the future.

I hear you on the patience issue. I'm finding the more rods i build the less time i spend on the fine details. I use to add weaves to the butt section and shading to close out out my wraps. This has fallen to the wayside on my last builds.

Comment

That looks awesome! I recently picked up an SX with Kipto, spring cows, and a San Diego trip in mind. Looking forward to using it!

If you ever want to put on a rod building clinic I'd definitely be interested!!! I have browsed around mudhole but when I realized the time and detail that goes into rod building I figured I would be better off sticking with my ugly sticks and other cheap off the shelf rods... One day when I get a proper garage maybe...
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Nice work there, Mike! Very pretty wrap.

I never took the time to learn the more intricate wraps when I used to build rods. Stuck to basic chevrons which, I thought were nicer than diamond wraps.

Comment

very nice work. i wish i had the talent and patience for rod building

Comment

Working...
                X