Chsp 5/26

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chsp 5/26

I went out from 1300 till 2100 this past sunday. The pier looked to be elbow room only but I was the only kayak around the inner wall. I dragged some tubes for a while with no luck. I then tried surf clams and peanut bunker off the bottom but couldn't get anything but skates, horeshoe crabs and dogfish. I paddled around to the deeper water just northeast of the lighthouse but just more of the same. I did manage to snap my light spinning rod while drifting baits by the end of the wall but 5 zipties later and I was good to go. I started heading back around dark and managed to catch one 19" striper by the old pilings past the end of the pier. Wind was a pain at first but it died off nicely as the day wound down.

I have been using a Paddleboy Peanut Kayak Cart but that thing was a huge pain and never did well in the deep sand. I was looking at a C-tug with hard wheels or a Malone scupperhole cart but I don't want to burn another wad of cash. Does anyone have a good cart that works for them?
    Ride 135 Green
    Big Tuna Orange
    12ft Bote HD
    Outback Blue with Orange Deck

It's really about the wheels that help with pulling kayaks over sand. The inflatable ones that allow you to deflate it some.

Comment

You need this: Wheeleez. Used it many times at CHSP and other sandy areas for years. Works great!

Did you jig for flounder? Thanks for the report.
      Attached Files
      2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
      2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Went out with my uncle and cousin to fish for spot at CHSP Monday and a guy next to us caught a keeper fluke on minnows. Also there are a lot of stripers in the IRI according to my uncle although he only caught shorts.
        Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thanks for the heads up on the wheeleez.

Never jigged for flounder before. I grew up mainly freshwater fishing but moved to DE late last year and quickly found salt has a lot bigger fare. A 4' Dogfish may be a pain but I never got pulled around by a bluegill. I have just been dropping a double rig to the bottom at anchor or drifting. Short striper, small blues and lots of skates and dogs.
          Ride 135 Green
          Big Tuna Orange
          12ft Bote HD
          Outback Blue with Orange Deck

Comment

Originally posted by babiak View Post
            A 4' Dogfish may be a pain but I never got pulled around by a bluegill.
            Awesome quote right here. lol.
            Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

^+1 lol
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X