No announcement yet.

The free trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rob I have a pair of roof rack pads you can have.

31201_foam-blocks_031909_250x250.jpg
    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Thanks Alberto, but I am going going to need a lot more than just those two pads.

I just figured someone would know of some rubber or something I could use. I got some old half wore out rubber mats from a horse trailer, but was hoping for and newer better idea. Plus they are a bitch to cut and I would have to glue them down and probably cause more problems.
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Rob -I picked up some older model Thule glide and set cradles at a local yard sale for $40.00. I have zero use for them as I have a newer set on my car. I just couldn't let them sit there for that price.

I think they are designed to fit standard Thule 1 1/2 bars, but you're a handy guy. If you want them pm me. Not lookin' to make a profit and realistically I'm a couple years from making my trailer
        Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks, but I just bought a bunch of pool noodles. I might cover them in black gun tape once I fine a store selling some.

The trailer is just about done. I just need pads, a license plate holder, get it inspected and regrease the existing bearings. Screech! and everything comes to a halt. The passenger bearing went smooth. It all looked good and I cleaned and repacked the outer bearing. The inner bearing looked good but I can't get it out without destroying the seal and the old grease looks good. So I suck the old grease as I can with towels and pack it up with new grease. Once hot it will go everywhere. 1/2 and done.

Then, I get to the driver side bearing. The dust cap, cotter pin, outer bearing and washer all come off fine. I go to pull the hub and umff, it will not come off. Use a 2x4 and the hub comes off but the bearing and seal stay, oh oh! Its pretty obvious by the light grey grease water had got in through the back seal. The inner casing of the bearing swelled and was seized. 20 minutes in, plus 90 minutes, taping it off and lubing it with penetrating oil. Oh and 5 minutes filing out a groove I made with the chisel, luckily its inside the seal area, or I would be replacing the spindle, maybe the axle. (Thanking God for small miracles)

Things I learned tonight. Siezed bearings piss me off. They also make me drink too much beer. So its bed time now.
          "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

OK, I got it all done. The bearings repacked on the passenger side but the drive side was ruined. I ordered and new set and got them replaced today.

Old bearing and race from the inside on the left and what a new set looks like.

Both old bearings with outside on the left and inside on the right. Look how dark that inside bearing was. It was seized to the spindle too.

A close up of both old bearings. That race is smooth, but obviously heat damaged.

Comment

And the trailer all done. I took a ten mile road trip and the new bearings where just warm, slightly. I am going to get a mechanic to look at it to be sure tomorrow.

Comment

nice rig turn out great
                  D Hawk
                  Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
                  Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

Comment

That is first class��
                    Yellow WS Ride 135
                    Sand WS Tarpon 100

Comment

Just goes to show..."what is one man's trash is another man's treasure."
                      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Off to the next project/problem. Maybe I can start working on fishing lures and even, maybe, fishing more.

All finished and on the blog.

Comment

I'm digging your trailer Rob. I can't wait to see it in person.
                          I'm using threaded pipe to mount my Seawing kayak carriers to my utility trailer and I don't like how they are flexing these days when I go over bumps on the highway. I'm thinking I need to change over to some square channel if the Seawings will mount to that.

Comment

Looks like square tubing to me.
                            http://www.maloneautoracks.com/image...g/MPG107-1.jpg

Comment

Looks Awesome Rob!
                              2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Sweet! When you have the room and equipment it makes the job a lot easier. Nice design and layout.

eyedaddy

Comment

Working...
                                X