The free trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The free trailer

I posted the beginning of the year on craigslist looking for a cheap fixer up trailer. A guy e-mails "I got a trailer that's been sitting for 15 years, tires are shot, rusted, but it's got a title and you can have it for free" Zing!!! "I'll be right down!"

It sat for a few months while I finished other projects and now its turn has come. I just cleaned it with an angle gringer and wire brush attachments. I think the inside of my garage needs power washing. I got a lecture from the wife about how dirty her van got even being outside the garage. Sorry dear,

In the garage the first time from the side. Rust everything!! But solid. See that rust rim at the bottom?

And the front

One fender before and one with primer after the wire brush and angle grinder.

The back half, wire brushed and primed. Yes those are the same rims, wire brushed, epoxy painted and new tires.

Today's work started here. I added a 2x3 upright channel in two spots for risers and 1 1/4" square stock for supports. Welded them all in and I only need one bar across the top to tie the risers together to stiffen them. I used all 1/8" thick steel and that 1 1/4" square stock is stout when only 30" long from the 3" weld on the riser.

Sizing the bars for the racks from the front. The clamps are set to hold the bars for the first run with the welder.

The bars are all welded on and caps welded on the top of the 2x3 upright channel and I'm done for the night. It needs a bar between the two channels as the back wobbled but the front it tight as all get out. The back channel allows the bar to move too much.

Works done, had beer, made a post, its bed time.
    "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Impressive work as always Rob. The frame looks brand new!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

That looks great!! Always awesome to see the start to finish of a project

Comment

Langston, it only looks brand new because I did not zoom in on the pitting divots and its got plenty of them. But it will work like new and the bearings are in perfect order. I am just going to repack them. Matt, its not done yet. I still have some welding to do and spray paint the entire thing black. I have to add brackets on the lower back arm for the light kit. I will post more pics later. I was going to do blue paint, but the wife said "All trailers are black.", and gave me that look. Anyone married for years knows the look that conveys "Are you that stupid?"

I figured the lower bars would hold a commander, ride 135 or even a hobie some day. The top bar can hold 2 more on thier bottom or 4 more on their sides. The room at the top and I could add another bar, but I don't think that needed as it would still only hold 6.

No one even noticed, In my hurry to get to the risers I put the fenders on backwards. The back is up front.
        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
          Anyone married for years knows the look that conveys "Are you that stupid?"
          Very familiar with that look! Nice looking project. Sounds like you can launch your own armada.
          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Nice work in refurbing that trailer. WOW.

Outback 2015
            Maui

Comment

Cool Rob. Getting a trailer like that with a title for free is fantastic.

I like using my utility trailer for hauling my kayaks. The only way I'd not use a trailer is if I got a pickup truck one day.

My trailer needs a longer tongue though and unfortunately, I don't have access to a welder. Your setup looks great. I've painted several trailers using good old fashioned Rustoleum enamel paint. I've done both silver and black. I like to use those small high density foam rollers to do the job.

Comment

As always Rob, very very impressive! Hats off bro!
                -Mustafa
                ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
                2016 Hobie Outback
                2012 Hobie Revolution 13
                "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Wow, nice work. I'd say you ought to be on the show "American Restoration."
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

Great Job !!!!!!

Comment

Rob -

You continue to impress me with your craftsmanship. That is great work.
                      John Veil
                      Annapolis
                      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

That's awesome! Great Job!
                        2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by DanMarino View Post
                          My trailer needs a longer tongue though and unfortunately, I don't have access to a welder. Your setup looks great. I've painted several trailers using good old fashioned Rustoleum enamel paint. I've done both silver and black. I like to use those small high density foam rollers to do the job.
                          I got a welder, you might have to bribe me with beer and welding rods. A place like Maryland Metals up here will sell the 2x2 or 3" square channel you need to extend it. I can weld, its just to not real pretty with the stick welder, but I clean it with the wire brush and grinder.
                          Last edited by archeryrob; 05-23-2013, 05:25 AM.

Comment

Very nice! Can't argue with free
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Its getting close to being done. I need to put pads on it and wanted something more durable than pool noodle, but not hugely expensive like some of the roof rack pads. Any ideas?

Comment

Working...
                              X