Mallows bay first snake head

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mallows bay first snake head

Hit mallows bay this morning with my nephew and a friend with his new pa 12. Arrived about 8 it was dead calm with light rain it continued to rain the rest of the day we didn't hit anything until around 9 with my friend pulling a 19 1/2 inch bass on a pink and purple worm the biggest of the day christening his hobie.My nephew then hit a 15 inch bass on a broken back we then caught pretty steady the rest of the day on mostly rubber worms in purple around 1 I caught my first snake head 20+ inches. I didn't get to measure it because after netting it getting it on the yak I was about to knife it through the back of the head when the knife slipped off and it swam up my foot well across the bow and back into the water I was bummed there would be no filets for dinner but I can cross one goal for the year off the list. ill leave with pictures of the bass that I caught I apologize for the clarity didn't want to use my camera in the rain so all are from my phone. a new water proof camera is in the works.
    mallow3.jpgmallow5.jpgmallow7.jpgmallow4.jpgmallow8.jpgmallow10.jpgmallows bay 5 18 13 011.JPG
    Last edited by dhawk; 05-19-2013, 09:17 AM.
    D Hawk
    Green Malibu X-Factor stolen dream
    Sand Malibu X-Factor The replacement

managed to get pictures up dont know why they wouldnt load yesterday
    D Hawk

Comment

Nice job those are some nice looking largemouth. Sorry about the snakehead slipping away, those are some tough fish.
      2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Good numbers on the bass, dhawk. I see I am not the only one holding on to the fish for dear life so I can get the pic. I am always impressed when I see a pic with no hands involved on the hog trough.
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
          Good numbers on the bass, dhawk. I see I am not the only one holding on to the fish for dear life so I can get the pic. I am always impressed when I see a pic with no hands involved on the hog trough.
          Yeah that impresses me too. the fish dont seem to want to cooperate with my picture taking but I will manage as long as they keep biting.
          D Hawk

Comment

Thx for the report....good catch!

Comment

Not to worry- you are not the only one on the forum to land a snakehead only to lose it in the kayak- Redfish and I had the experience- my snakehead (I estimated it at 15 (+) pounds) broke the plastic lip gripper and jumped out of my kayak- so it added insult to injury by destroying my lip gripper- I now use metal boga grips-
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I think lip grippers are too civilized for the snakehead. I have a barbed gaff ready to use on my first snakehead!

Comment

The first thing my buddy said when i lost it is you need a gaff for those things mght have to go that route
                  D Hawk

Comment

There are videos on YT of people using a metal bat or billy club to knock the snakeheads out.
                    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

I would probably miss and hit myself in the knee lol
                      D Hawk

Comment

Working...
                      X