Need some locations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some locations?

Where are some good locations to catch Pickerel, Pike, Muskellunge??
    I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Without boat permits to Loch Raven, Liberty or Pretty Boy reservoirs (they sell out instantly) your best bets would either be Tridelphia, Lake Centennial, Rocky Gorge or Piney Run.

You could always shore fish or rent a boat for the first 3.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
      Without boat permits to Loch Raven, Liberty or Pretty Boy reservoirs (they sell out instantly) your best bets would either be Tridelphia, Lake Centennial, Rocky Gorge or Piney Run.

You could always shore fish or rent a boat for the first 3.
      Yeah I will have to fish from shore just until I buy a Yak, thank you on the info!

This might be a dumb question but do you need a boat permit/ license for a kayak?
      I fish everyday that ends in "Y"

Comment

I know Lake Centennial is $5 for the day, might have to check into the others but probably $5-$10 for the day.
        Dave
        2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Loch Raven is ~$30 a day for a small jon boat, battery and trolling motor rental. ~$6 for an extra battery (cheap insurance). The trolling motors are 30 lb thrust, I believe, so you're not getting anywhere fast in a hurry, but it's a boat. I've fished there like this a few times with good luck for Pickerel on lipless cranks and texas rigged neon pink soft worms.

Piney Run is a little pricey if you're an out of county (Carroll County) Resident. It's a $10 park entrance fee and another $8-$10 dollar kayak launch fee every day. I believe there is a season pass option, something along the lines of $40-$50 park entrance fee and another $50 or so launch fee. I've never caught any of your intended species there, but I've seen them. The water there can be very clear if the conditions are right. However, Piney Run gets inundated with nasty algal blooms when the temperatures get high, making it difficult to fish.

I've done well on Pickerel up in the creeks off the Magothy and Severn, casting spoons and inline spinners from shore or piers.

Good Luck!
          Live every week like it's shark week.

Comment

just sent you a PM

note: you do not need a "permit/registration" for a kayak unless you mount any type of motor on it
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
              just sent you a PM

note: you do not need a "permit/registration" for a kayak unless you mount any type of motor on it
              Baltimore county you do (pretty sure) know you still have to sign the waiver stating the boat won't/hasn't be used in any other waters.

OP...those 3 Reservoirs feed the County/City water supply...and they are afraid of the spread of Zebra Mussels...which can infect/taint the water supply somehow.

Comment

Hi Nate,

I keep my kayak moored at Rocky Gorge and there is a naturally reproducing population of northern pike in the reservoir. They get *pretty big* in there (lots of big gizzard shad to eat). I normally troll medium sized Rapalas at Rocky Gorge and have had one of them bite my lure completely off my line. I've spoken to a few people who pursue Northerns at Rocky Gorge and they say the best way to hook into one is to cover a lot of water and troll *BIG* minnow shaped lures (x rap magnums, pointer 128s) along drop offs or in open water around the schools of gizzard shad. You can also use big shad swimbaits or inline spinners. People bass fishing have caught them accidentally on spinnerbaits as well. Rocky Gorge is deep, and the Northerns like cold water so you will probably need to troll in the 15-30 ft depth zone to get to them in the lower part of the reservoir near the dam once summer sets in. They are also known to hang out in the Browns Bridge area where the water is cooler from the current.

Here are some pictures of Northerns caught at Rocky Gorge:

BTW There are also huge Striped Bass and Tiger Muskies there. Make sure to use a leader or else you will lose your lures. I plan on targeting pike at Rocky Gorge this year from my kayak and I've ordered some of the x rap magnums to troll. I think the average size pike there is 4-7 lbs.

BTW here is a depth map of Rocky Gorge:

http://www.mgs.md.gov/coastal/maps/lr/rockygorge.html

You need to buy a WSSC use permit to fish Rocky Gorge.
                Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                Northern Pike: 24 inches
                Crappie: 12 inches
                Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

By the way Nate, I noticed you live in Springfield VA. There is a lake near you with a good muskie population called Lake Burke. It's probably the most heavily fished lake in the DC metro region but it is known for muskies. I have not personally fished that lake at all, but I know they are in there.

http://www.dgif.virginia.gov/fishing...ection=fishing
                  Last edited by perchy; 05-09-2013, 02:05 PM. Reason: added link to VA DNR page
                  Olive Trophy 126 - Moored at Rocky Gorge Scott's Cove

Personal Records at Rocky Gorge
                  Largemouth Bass: 21 inches
                  Northern Pike: 24 inches
                  Crappie: 12 inches
                  Channel Catfish: 18 inches

Comment

Working...
                  X