No announcement yet.

Keel Protection for Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a welcome mat that I put down for the exact same location and reason. Funny enough, I just ordered the Keel eazy for that location. It was only $8 for the strip I needed. I got tired of putting that mat down and lining it up just right

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
    Alan

Comment

Jeremy,

Please post a photo when you've installed the Keel Eazy.

Like a few others here with the same issue, I place a carpet on my driveway during loading to protect the stern keel. I'm pretty good at estimating how far from my bumper to place it after all the times I've loaded my kayaks. When I get to the launch, if it is all hard surface, I use a floor mat from the van. Otherwise, I unload my kayak on a grassy surface whenever possible. Most of the launches I use are not exclusively hard surface.
      Mark
      Pasadena, MD

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
      Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12
      Lizard Lick Native Ultimate FX Pro

Comment

KeelEazy does the job pretty well. I have it on my Revo on the keel as well as the sides. It's a thin pvc type material and holds up decently. If you are pilling rubbing it starts to loosen after a couple of seasons. But some goop will help it stay longer.

I have yet to put anything on my outback because I'm not fully convinced by the cost effectiveness of the KeelEazy.
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

I have not added protection to a keel, Hobie or otherwise. Here are two brainstorming ideas that may or may not work.

1) Some kayaks come with a replaceable plastic section at the back of the keel. After is wears down, you can remove it and add a new piece. Even if your kayak does not have that feature built in, perhaps you could glue a strip of plastic (cutting board, Star board, etc) to the rear of the keel as a sacrificial strip. It may add a small amount of additional drag, but probably would not be a noticeable reduction in speed.

2) Get some the tough material that is used to coat beds of pickup trucks (for example Line-X). Mask the keel area and spray a strip on the bottom of the keel either along the full keel or just in the rear.
          John Veil
          Annapolis
          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

For what it is worth, and I believe I found it a few years ago on this site, I used weather and ice shield flashing, cut to length and cover with numerous layers of HD gorilla tape. Going on my 3 year with it.
            Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
            Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

Originally posted by Salty Dog View Post
              For what it is worth, and I believe I found it a few years ago on this site, I used weather and ice shield flashing, cut to length and cover with numerous layers of HD gorilla tape. Going on my 3 year with it.
              Seems like this would also be easily attainable as well at something like Home Depot / Lowes etc.
              Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Originally posted by mchottie View Post
                Seems like this would also be easily attainable as well at something like Home Depot / Lowes etc.
                Just realized I stated going on 3 years. from November 2015, 2016 and starting on the second full year.
                Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
                Torqeedo Ultralight 403

Comment

I'll just be careful...I have used my "Ugly Duckling" Outback for four years and the bottom has just normal ramp rash...so Lady Luck has a few but with the Berkley Pro side scan sonar transducer cover that protrudes an 1 1/2 inch lower than flush...I have to be mindful of how to launch and recover...and the side scan feature of the unit is amazing- near photo quality images if you learn how to adjust the contrast and signal strength to optimize the bottom images...takes a while to figure out what you are looking at on the screen, but once you figure it out, it is an amazing tool...especially good in shallow water to stay near a channel or structure...
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

How about a flexible cutting board and some 3M double sided tape?? You can cut it to shape and when it wears out just heat up the tape and replace. Here's a link to a cheap Wal-Mart brand.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Progressi...&wl13=&veh=sem
                    2017 Hobie PA14

Comment

Working...
                    X