Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Keel Protection for Hobie

I drop down 2 rubber backed bathroom rugs where I know I will be dragging the stern of the yak. This is a lot easier than sticking on the keel protector strip.
    Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
    WS Ride 115 Mango
    WS Tarpon 100

The only reason I am considering such is the new Berkley Pro transducer side imaging mount is a little higher profile than the factory model...
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Ron,

I'm hoping for good weather this weekend to install my BerleyPro Xducer cover also.

Can anyone generate a drawing to show where I should install extra protection? I'd prefer to get the entire boat tidy'd up before my first outing, to maintain best condition possible for prolonged life-span and decent re-sale value. Are we talking the keel itself, both sides, the underside of the hull at all low-points (and low hanging berleypro xducer mount), and I also see the CBBT guys gorilla tape + 1/2" plastic tubing along each side, bow to stern.
    First Lady: Hobie Ivory Sand Dune Hobie ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Backup Babe (Girlfriends Ride): Carribean Blue Hobie Outback Lowrance Elite 5 HDI w/ Pumpkin Spice Latte holder

Learning the Ropes & Living the Dream

Mine has been installed- put it all together on my Outback the day the mailman delivered it- can't wait to get it wet...but fickle March weather keeps throwing hard curve balls over the outside edge of the plate...snow, sleet, freezing rain, wind blowing its ass off...gurrr....
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Outback
    "Ugly Duckling" 2010 Olive Hobie Outback
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13

Wish I knew about this earlier, I just put one on my Native Ultimate, but did it in fiberglass. Works well, but was a lot more work.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

I have a welcome mat that I put down for the exact same location and reason. Funny enough, I just ordered the Keel eazy for that location. It was only $8 for the strip I needed. I got tired of putting that mat down and lining it up just right

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    Perry Hall, MD
    Alan

Jeremy,

Please post a photo when you've installed the Keel Eazy.

Like a few others here with the same issue, I place a carpet on my driveway during loading to protect the stern keel. I'm pretty good at estimating how far from my bumper to place it after all the times I've loaded my kayaks. When I get to the launch, if it is all hard surface, I use a floor mat from the van. Otherwise, I unload my kayak on a grassy surface whenever possible. Most of the launches I use are not exclusively hard surface.
    Mark

Olive Hobie Revo 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

KeelEazy does the job pretty well. I have it on my Revo on the keel as well as the sides. It's a thin pvc type material and holds up decently. If you are pilling rubbing it starts to loosen after a couple of seasons. But some goop will help it stay longer.

I have yet to put anything on my outback because I'm not fully convinced by the cost effectiveness of the KeelEazy.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I have not added protection to a keel, Hobie or otherwise. Here are two brainstorming ideas that may or may not work.

1) Some kayaks come with a replaceable plastic section at the back of the keel. After is wears down, you can remove it and add a new piece. Even if your kayak does not have that feature built in, perhaps you could glue a strip of plastic (cutting board, Star board, etc) to the rear of the keel as a sacrificial strip. It may add a small amount of additional drag, but probably would not be a noticeable reduction in speed.

2) Get some the tough material that is used to coat beds of pickup trucks (for example Line-X). Mask the keel area and spray a strip on the bottom of the keel either along the full keel or just in the rear.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11 and Slayer Propel 10
    Member - Pro Staff team for Native Watercraft

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" - light tackle fishing techniques for kayaks and small boats

For what it is worth, and I believe I found it a few years ago on this site, I used weather and ice shield flashing, cut to length and cover with numerous layers of HD gorilla tape. Going on my 3 year with it.
    Freddie T

2016 Hobie Outback LE #236
    Torqeedo Ultralight 403