Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Keel Protection for Hobie

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Keel Protection for Hobie

I am looking for a link or product that any fellow member uses to protect the keel of their kayak. I need it for the very back rounded edge. I use a homemade loading bar on the front crossbar of my kayak rack. In order for me to load my Outback on the Durango, I have to load and rest the bow of the kayak on the bar so I can lift the rear onto my Jbar. During that process I scraped the rear tip of the keel, so I am looking for something that will help protect my investment.

I have done internet searches for various products. Some I like, some I don't...just wondering if there is a product I am missing. BTW, I will not mix up some JB weld and paint it over the keel of the kayak, not a good solution in my book. Thanks in advance!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

try this.....http://www.keeleazy.com/

u can request a sample for free. i had it on my old kayak and worked well. i have to order more for my new revo
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

I just received my free test strip of keeleazy in red. Get one and see if it works.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Thanks Grilled, that was my favorite product during my search...good for you, good for me!

Goody--how large is the free sample, is it large enough to cover the area mentioned above?
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Roughly 2"x7" strip.

Outback 2015
    Outback 2012
    Maui

Something else to buy now lol. Just requested a sample.
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Wish I knew about this earlier, I just put one on my Native Ultimate, but did it in fiberglass. Works well, but was a lot more work.
    John
    Annapolis
    Native Slayer Propel 10, Native Ultimate 12

I have a welcome mat that I put down for the exact same location and reason. Funny enough, I just ordered the Keel eazy for that location. It was only $8 for the strip I needed. I got tired of putting that mat down and lining it up just right

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
    Kokatat Pro Staff
    Torqeedo Pro Staff
    Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback
    Alan

Jeremy,

Please post a photo when you've installed the Keel Eazy.

Like a few others here with the same issue, I place a carpet on my driveway during loading to protect the stern keel. I'm pretty good at estimating how far from my bumper to place it after all the times I've loaded my kayaks. When I get to the launch, if it is all hard surface, I use a floor mat from the van. Otherwise, I unload my kayak on a grassy surface whenever possible. Most of the launches I use are not exclusively hard surface.
    Mark

Slate Hobie Revolution 13
    Hidden Oak Native Ultimate 12

Author: The Simple Joys of Kayak Fishing (Tips and Tales From an Old Guy in His Plastic Boat)
    Available on Amazon.com

KeelEazy does the job pretty well. I have it on my Revo on the keel as well as the sides. It's a thin pvc type material and holds up decently. If you are pilling rubbing it starts to loosen after a couple of seasons. But some goop will help it stay longer.

I have yet to put anything on my outback because I'm not fully convinced by the cost effectiveness of the KeelEazy.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)