Keel Protection for Hobie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keel Protection for Hobie

I am looking for a link or product that any fellow member uses to protect the keel of their kayak. I need it for the very back rounded edge. I use a homemade loading bar on the front crossbar of my kayak rack. In order for me to load my Outback on the Durango, I have to load and rest the bow of the kayak on the bar so I can lift the rear onto my Jbar. During that process I scraped the rear tip of the keel, so I am looking for something that will help protect my investment.

I have done internet searches for various products. Some I like, some I don't...just wondering if there is a product I am missing. BTW, I will not mix up some JB weld and paint it over the keel of the kayak, not a good solution in my book. Thanks in advance!
    2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
    2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

try this.....http://www.keeleazy.com/

u can request a sample for free. i had it on my old kayak and worked well. i have to order more for my new revo
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I just received my free test strip of keeleazy in red. Get one and see if it works.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Thanks Grilled, that was my favorite product during my search...good for you, good for me!

Goody--how large is the free sample, is it large enough to cover the area mentioned above?
        2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
        2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Roughly 2"x7" strip.

Outback 2015
          Maui

Comment

Something else to buy now lol. Just requested a sample.
            Dave
            2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

Originally posted by DaveFX35 View Post
              Something else to buy now lol. Just requested a sample.
              OK guys that used KeelEasy- feedback? Worth doing? Durability? I asked for a sample to test...I understand that they send a 2 inch by 7 inch long sample to try out-
              Last edited by ronaultmtd; 03-16-2017, 11:44 AM.
              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I looked at keeleasy & decided it was cost prohibitive for me figuring ~ $200 worth was needed.

I'm using gorilla tape, it lasts the season & holds up to sand & loading & unloading on trailer as well as shallow water if my drive is feathered. 1 roll is good for 2 years worth & is much cheaper than anything else I've found so far.
                Red 2015 Hobie Outback
                Olive 2015 PA 14

Comment

I used Keel Easy on my PA-14 and Outback LE at the man rub points under the Hull. I found it to be very expensive, but worth trying.

Did everything right on application with a heat gun and a roller to get it tight. Sad to report it started to peel away from the hull after 5-6 outings. I made the mistake of barley touching the asphalt unloading the Outback and it put a gouge in it pretty quick.

I think this stuff maybe a little thicker than Gorilla Tape?? But it is NOT as durable as us Yakkers would like it to be.

It has ALL been removed from my hulls.
                  Yak67
                  2017 Hobie PA-12
                  2016 Hobie Outback LE#217
                  Last edited by Yak67; 03-16-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

I got several layers of gorilla tape on my outback.Last me a whole season. Much cheaper but works good.
                    2012 hobie outback
                    2016 feelfree lure 11.5

Comment

I drop down 2 rubber backed bathroom rugs where I know I will be dragging the stern of the yak. This is a lot easier than sticking on the keel protector strip.
                      Young Apprentice

2015 Outback Papaya
                      WS Ride 115 Mango
                      WS Tarpon 100

Comment

The only reason I am considering such is the new Berkley Pro transducer side imaging mount is a little higher profile than the factory model...

Comment

Ron,

I'm hoping for good weather this weekend to install my BerleyPro Xducer cover also.

Can anyone generate a drawing to show where I should install extra protection? I'd prefer to get the entire boat tidy'd up before my first outing, to maintain best condition possible for prolonged life-span and decent re-sale value. Are we talking the keel itself, both sides, the underside of the hull at all low-points (and low hanging berleypro xducer mount), and I also see the CBBT guys gorilla tape + 1/2" plastic tubing along each side, bow to stern.
                          Hobie Ivory Dune ProAngler 14 Lowrance Elite 7 ti TotalScan

Comment

Mine has been installed- put it all together on my Outback the day the mailman delivered it- can't wait to get it wet...but fickle March weather keeps throwing hard curve balls over the outside edge of the plate...snow, sleet, freezing rain, wind blowing its ass off...gurrr....

Comment

Wish I knew about this earlier, I just put one on my Native Ultimate, but did it in fiberglass. Works well, but was a lot more work.
                              John Rentch
                              Annapolis

Native Ultimate 12 FX Pro
                              Hobie Revolution 11

Comment

Working...
                              X