Launching at Flag Ponds Park: Wind out of east 13 mph

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Launching at Flag Ponds Park: Wind out of east 13 mph

I was there today hunting for fossils with my son. Had a good time, found a few nice pieces. Honestly the trip was a scouting run for tomorrow. I think I can handle getting my kayak from the parking lot to the beach. I just wonder what the wind is going to mean for getting out to the discharge. Has anyone done this? I'm a river kayak angler who does some tidal largemouth trips, so this much open water is a new deal for me. Is that wind forecast a no-go? If not, what would be your upper limit on wind forecast? Thanks for any advice.
    Wilderness Systems Pro Staff since 2002.

eastish wind and incoming tide at the rips would be a little intense. I don't know your comfort level with your kayak but if you are confident give it a try, you won't know until you go.
    Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

If the wind is iffy this may not the place to push it. The wind the past few days have kept me off the water in this area. Even the coves on the western side of the lower Patuxent River were white capping this afternoon.
      Hobie Pro Angler 12
      WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

It wasn't bad unless we were in the rip itself. I lashed down everything and did it, just so I wouldn't be so freaked out if I caught one that dragged me into it. Breaking 4.5 footers in the middle at the worst. It felt like surfing a big wave in Mather Gorge below Great Falls for a while.

We caught a few striper in the low 20 inch range, a bluefish about the same length. This was the first time I've done this and it was a lot of fun. I shot video of the trip, so I'll post it here when it's done processing.

By the way, whoever ran into us on the flats a week ago and mentioned this site - thanks! DSC00741.jpg

Comment

Looking forward to the video!
          Hobie Pro Angler 12
          WS Classic Pungo 12

"Ocean - A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills." Ambrose Bierce

Comment

Jeff,
            Wow! funny seeing you here,, think I remeber you from years ago on the River Smallies forum? And I think I have a book you wrote?
            I used to fish the trough and smoke hole a lot. I live in Calvert now,, when we go bay side, it is with sun up till about 10-11 AM,, PM we hit the Patux side for channel cats

Slack
            Captian of the plastic Navy
            1 - Mad River Canoes
            1- Tarpon 120
            1- Redfish 10
            1- Coosa HD
            2- Cuda 12
            1- Slayer Propel 10

http://reoservicesofmaryland.com/

Comment

Yep. Riversmallies was a good site. Here's the video:

Comment

Good job on the video log. I enjoyed it!
                Hobie Pro Angler 12
                WS Classic Pungo 12

Comment

That video was outstanding!
                  <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Nice video Jeff. WWD is a hit or miss place with the bigger class . I subbed your channel few months back. Have enjoyed all your smallmouth videos . Still need to get some of those Draggon Heads.
                    John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Jeff,

How hard/long was the port to the water? Still not too bad after a day of paddling?

Thanks

Justin

Comment

I know Jeff Little and I know Pinch. The two of you guys are absolute beasts when it comes to kayak fishing. The two of you definitely need to plan a trip or two together!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the compliments on the video. Saltwater kayak fishing is a new deal for me, but I can usually relate what I see to a river and a smallmouth.

Comment

The drag was half a mile.

Comment

I enjoyed your vid. Thx!

Comment

Working...
                              X