Upper Potomac Saturday May 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by camelbird View Post
    Nice work on the smallies! One of the best light tackle fish in my books.

Berto, Maybe I missed it but what size flukes were you using? And I'm guessing t-rigged or nose hooked. I've gone out many a day with a bag of zoom flukes in 4" and a handful of circle hooks.
    Thanks! I was using a 5" super fluke. With a weightless 3/0 or 4/0 twistlock hook.

fluke.jpg
    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Dave in Mount Airy View Post
      Last year I tried a Road Runner, Jimmy Houston swears if you want a bass this is the bait. All it did was hang up on the botttom. So I"m interested to see the size, color of the spinner baits that seem to be working here. And how they are fished.
      I was using this type of spinnerbait in 3/8th ounce. Smallmouths (for whatever reason) really seem to like spinnerbaits with some chartreuse in them.

When they are up and actively feeding you will find them in the "push water" (the area up river from a rock ledge) so usually you want to cast upstream and burn that spinnerbait back to you. Try some casts across the current and a few swinging down current. From day to day different presentations get them turned on. Some days a straight retrieve, other days they want a pause so the lure flutters down, get creative, when you hit the right retrieve they will let you know.

The other lure to carry beside the fluke type baits that Berto mentioned would be a "tube" type bait rigged on a jighead.

This type of lure can be used when the smallmouths are not quite so active and not chasing a fast moving lure like a spinnerbait. You can drop this lure (and the fluke) in the same spots you used the spinnerbait and you can also drop it behind current breaks to see if they are loafing in slower water.
      Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Originally posted by Turtle135 View Post
        I was using this type of spinnerbait in 3/8th ounce. Smallmouths (for whatever reason) really seem to like spinnerbaits with some chartreuse in them.

When they are up and actively feeding you will find them in the "push water" (the area up river from a rock ledge) so usually you want to cast upstream and burn that spinnerbait back to you. Try some casts across the current and a few swinging down current. From day to day different presentations get them turned on. Some days a straight retrieve, other days they want a pause so the lure flutters down, get creative, when you hit the right retrieve they will let you know.

The other lure to carry beside the fluke type baits that Berto mentioned would be a "tube" type bait rigged on a jighead.

This type of lure can be used when the smallmouths are not quite so active and not chasing a fast moving lure like a spinnerbait. You can drop this lure (and the fluke) in the same spots you used the spinnerbait and you can also drop it behind current breaks to see if they are loafing in slower water.
        Thanks Turtle, that's a big bait for the Potomac. I always throw either up river or sideways, never down. I was always taught bass have their heads turned upriver and a struggling fish will not be against the current. Of course that is with a Rapala, I guess a spinner bait is not necessarily simulating a struggling fish.

Comment

Thanks Turtle, that's a big bait for the Potomac. I always throw either up river or sideways, never down. I was always taught bass have their heads turned upriver and a struggling fish will not be against the current. Of course that is with a Rapala, I guess a spinner bait is not necessarily simulating a struggling fish.
          I use the same color and size spinnerbaits too. I've caught most of my big smallies throwing down stream. I've caught them spinnerbait, rapala x rap, jigs & fluke.

Comment

Who knows what a smallmouth sees in a spinnerbait? I've always suspected that they see it as a small group of minnows swimming together. When you cast downstream in current they probably hear the splash and then see a group of baitfish fleeing the scene. Sometimes speed triggers smallmouths.

Have you ever let that Rapala minnow swing down below you in the current then held it swimming in one spot? I remember some summer days where that was the only way I could get bit.
            Dave

Comment

Who knows what a smallmouth sees in a spinnerbait? I've always suspected that they see it as a small group of minnows swimming together. When you cast downstream in current they probably hear the splash and then see a group of baitfish fleeing the scene. Sometimes speed triggers smallmouths.

Have you ever let that Rapala minnow swing down below you in the current then held it swimming in one spot? I remember some summer days where that was the only way I could get bit.
              I have tried that and you get great action But again I was always taught that a wouded minnow would not be trying to swim upstream. Me thinks this is a case of a little bit of knowldge being a dangerous thing. Thanks for the tips, I'm going to try focusing on the push water. That is a new term for me. Anyone have experience with Road Runners and how they are fished best?

Now about those small private little known campgrounds...... I get it if you don't want the secret to get out, if you PM me the secret's safe.

Comment

I do have kind of a nice story to share. Back in the 80's I was really into fishing. Being a bartender I had my days free. One spot I found bass success was the canal at Swain's Lock of all places.

So a few weeks ago I found myself at River and Falls and had a few minutes so I took a right to visit my old spot. I wondered over to the area where the dock I used to fish from was, it's long gone now. My first thought was how shallow the water was, I could never see the bottom in the old days. Then I looked at the shore and found that the water was at normal depth. I finally got it through my head that the water wasn't shallow, it was just way cleaner than in the old day, Back then I had no idea I was fishing in 3 feet of water LOL. The water was as clear as gin and it was shocking to me. I then went over to the lock and looked down into much deeper water from 10 feet above. Once again I was stunned. What used to be a dark foamy mess was again crystal clear water, again I could see rocks on the bottom clearly in what looked to be 5-6 feet of water.

I know we have a long way to go and the Bay is still a disaster but this really was encouraging.
                Last edited by Dave in Mount Airy; 05-08-2013, 09:40 AM.

Comment

Anyone have experience with Road Runners and how they are fished best?

Now about those small private little known campgrounds...... I get it if you don't want the secret to get out, if you PM me the secret's safe.
                  I've talked to other fisherman on the Potomac that caught some nice smallie with a Road Runners but I've never use it.

The only ones I know are the ones by the C&O canal towpath but it's only 1 night stay. Sorry I couldn't help out.
                  Last edited by Berto; 05-08-2013, 12:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Berto View Post
                    I've talked to other fisherman on the Potomac that caught some nice smallie with a Road Runners but I've never use it.

The only ones I know are the ones by the C&O canal towpath but it's only 1 night stay. Sorry I couldn't help out.
                    Thanks. I have always wanted to camp on one of the islands but as we get older the pop-up seems like the way to go.

I went to Walmart and got the spinnerbaits you guys suggested but could not find the SuperFluke. If yu think this is really a bait to have I'll get online and research.

Comment

I went to Walmart and got the spinnerbaits you guys suggested but could not find the SuperFluke. If yu think this is really a bait to have I'll get online and research.
                      Here is a run down on lure selection for river smallmouth. This guy Juan catches more 20" smallmouth in a month than I will catch in my lifetime.

http://kayakfishingblog.com/2013/05/...allmouth-bass/
                      Dave

Comment

Here is a run down on lure selection for river smallmouth. This guy Juan catches more 20" smallmouth in a month than I will catch in my lifetime.

http://kayakfishingblog.com/2013/05/...allmouth-bass/
                        Thanks again. I read the part on poppers but wonder how I can let it stand "as long as I can" in the fast moving water of the Potomac near Hapers Ferry. Won't it simply drift then end up on shore due to the presure of my rod on the like? Keep in mind I'm wading, not in a float.

Comment

Thanks again. I read the part on poppers but wonder how I can let it stand "as long as I can" in the fast moving water of the Potomac near Hapers Ferry. Won't it simply drift then end up on shore due to the presure of my rod on the like? Keep in mind I'm wading, not in a float.
                          Cast it out, twitch it once and then just allow the popper to drift (referred to as "dead-sticking") as far are you can. Frequently you have to "mend your line" some so that the lure does not get a drag imparted into the drift.

I remember one summer evening on the Potomac right around sunset. I was wade fishing the push water above a huge ledge. I would cast out the popper and let it drift straight back to me. Maybe one twitch in the middle of the drift. It became a game to see if I could get the popper back without having at least one bass slam it.
                          Dave

Comment

Cast it out, twitch it once and then just allow the popper to drift (referred to as "dead-sticking") as far are you can. Frequently you have to "mend your line" some so that the lure does not get a drag imparted into the drift.

I remember one summer evening on the Potomac right around sunset. I was wade fishing the push water above a huge ledge. I would cast out the popper and let it drift straight back to me. Maybe one twitch in the middle of the drift. It became a game to see if I could get the popper back without having at least one bass slam it.

Nice. I would like to lose that game.

So what is the baits that have worked the best for you over the years in this area?

Comment

I probably catch more Potomac Smallmouth bass on tubes (and other soft plastics like beaver style baits) than on all other lure types combined. Tubes can work when the bass are active, neutral or negative.
                              Dave

Comment

I probably catch more Potomac Smallmouth bass on tubes (and other soft plastics like beaver style baits) than on all other lure types combined. Tubes can work when the bass are active, neutral or negative.
                                What types have worked best for you?

Comment

Working...
                                X