Upper Potomac Saturday May 5th

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upper Potomac Saturday May 5th

Got out on the water at 7:00 A.M. with ArcheryRob and Berto. Great fishing with you guys again!

We went back to a section of the upper Potomac River where I had fished once before during the cold water period. While I did not catch anything on that cold water trip the water sure looked good for smallmouth.

The smallmouths were in the faster water areas on Saturday and in push water. I caught the majority of my bass with a small spinnerbait. It was consistent action in the rocky ledge areas once we determined how they were positioned. My only problem was they were running a little small for Kayak Wars points. I started tossing a dark 4" tube in hopes of upgrading the size. That did not deter the 12" to 14" bass at all, put in the right place they would gobble it up as fast as the small spinnerbait.

I probably caught around 16-18 bass. Pretty fish. Most of them were the 10" runt size bass that are so frequent encountered in the Potomac in the heat of summer.

Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Beautiful! Great camera work too. What camera did you use to take the shots?

Comment

It is a Kodak Easyshare Sport C123. I think I got it for around $ 65.00 at a Walmart. Good camera for close range fish photos. It is waterproof and not so expensive that I have to worry about it on the water.
      Dave

Comment

Wow, good cameras are really dirt cheap now, and the waterproof feature is a real bonus for kayakers. WalMart in Laurel has a surprisingly good selection of tackle at good prices as well. It's no Angler's, but if you just need basic rigs, lures, bobbers, and stuff it's good.

Now, if we can just get the cost of food, gas, clothing, college, shelter, health care, and everything else down...

Comment

It was Nice fishing with you & Rob too!

I caught 25 smallies. 3 of the smallies was 15" + and the rest of the smallies was around 10"-14". I caught most of them using weightless 5" Zoom Fluke ( glimmer blue & white pearl chartreuse ) & Booyah spinnerbait W/ gold blades.

Caught it w/ Zoom Fluke

Caught it w/ Booyah spinnerbait W/ gold blades.

2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Wow guys, more beautiful shots! Bravo!

Comment

Nice catch guys! I think their is some bass DNA in Berto's blood. He is always holding a nice bass! Way to always represent Maryland too.

Most of my fishing is freshwater and I have yet to catch a bass on a spinnerbait, unbelievable I know. I have caught a few smallmouths on inline spinners and white perch on a traditional strike king micro spinner. But all those pretty double bladed spinners in my tackle box are just for looks.
              2015 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OLIVE HOBIE OUTBACK
              2013 OCEAN KAYAK TRIDENT 13

JEREMY D

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post
                Nice catch guys! I think their is some bass DNA in Berto's blood. He is always holding a nice bass! Way to always represent Maryland too.

Most of my fishing is freshwater and I have yet to catch a bass on a spinnerbait, unbelievable I know. I have caught a few smallmouths on inline spinners and white perch on a traditional strike king micro spinner. But all those pretty double bladed spinners in my tackle box are just for looks.
                Berto was dialed in! He was scoring Kayak Wars points for our team while I was screwing around with lure changes.

Spinnerbaits have built in weedless qualities. Throw them into the worst tangles you can find and bump as much stuff as you can make contact with. Fish them like you are trying to lose them.
                Dave

Comment

It was nice fishing with you two. It sounds like Alberto started catching bigger ones after I left. Was that up past the rapids? Was the afternoon better than the morning? I had to get back and get some work done. I never did get to that Chimney needing cleaning, but I did start on stripping the new project trailer!!

These where what I could scratch out. With the unexpected Largemouth in the river.

And this guy fought harder than the largemouth
                  Last edited by archeryrob; 05-06-2013, 06:39 AM.
                  "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Nice job guys, great report...my employer fished the Juniata, near Harrisburg PA...its funny how his report of where the fish were coming from matches yours exactly..."The smallmouths were in the faster water areas on Saturday"...they also hammered the spinnerbait this weekend up in PA
                    Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Nice !! Not sure what section you guys hit but I crossed over Point Of Rocks yesterday and water looked good. Fishing the South Branch of the Potomac this weekend. Hope to have a good day like you guys. Congrats !!
                      John

Wilderness Tarpon

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
                        It was nice fishing with you two. It sounds like Alberto started catching bigger ones after I left. Was that up past the rapids? Was the afternoon better than the morning? I had to get back and get some work done. I never did get to that Chimney needing cleaning, but I did start on stripping the new project trailer!!
                        It was around the rapids where I got the two of the 15" and I got 1 of the 15 up past the rapids. I was getting them around the rock and at the bottom of the chute. The afternoon was a lot better they was hitting a lot harder.
                        Last edited by Berto; 05-06-2013, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Nice work on the smallies! One of the best light tackle fish in my books.

Berto, Maybe I missed it but what size flukes were you using? And I'm guessing t-rigged or nose hooked. I've gone out many a day with a bag of zoom flukes in 4" and a handful of circle hooks.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky1423 View Post

HA! Thanks! : )

I love using spinnerbait. I think it's a very versatile lure.

Comment

Hey folks. I'm new to the board and was looking for help after finding this thread after a Google search. I visit Harpers Ferry often, taking my bike and a fishing rod strapped to the frame for an afternoon of summer fun. Problem is I'm struggling to hook up. When we canoe down the river I've often used a split back Rapala and have always had success. But it isn't working in the spots I've tried south of Harper's Ferry on the Potomac.

Last year I tried a Road Runner, Jimmy Houston swears if you want a bass this is the bait. All it did was hang up on the botttom. So I"m interested to see the size, color of the spinner baits that seem to be working here. And how they are fished.

Also on another note if anyone knows of a good private campground along the river, or the Shenandoah for that matter, that they'd like to share with me that would be great too. We are going to Brunswick in June but that place is too damn loud with the RR tracks and the treatment station.

Thanks again for any help.

Comment

Working...
                              X