Clarification of Rockfish Catch and Release rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clarification of Rockfish Catch and Release rules

I assumed I was in full compliance with DNR's striped bass regulations when I trolled for stripers in the Severn River last week. I interpreted the requirements as a result of viewing the striped bass maps on the DNR website. Over the weekend, Bignose posted text from the 2013 Fishing in Maryland brochure that suggested a more strict interpretation. This afternoon, Dogfish expressed a similar opinion.

I spent some time looking through the official DNR Fisheries regulations at COMAR 08.02.15. They define those rivers that are considered "spawning rivers" -- the Severn is not one of them. There is no doubt that the spawning rivers are off-limits at this time. They also have a separate section that lays out the special rules for catch and release in the Susquehanna Flats and the Northeast River. But they never come out and clearly indicate whether those tributaries not considered to be spawning rivers are eligible for catch and release fishing.

The maps on the website seem to tell a slightly different story from the regulations and the Fishing in Maryland brochure. My intuition told me that the regulations and brochure were written using more formal language and the maps were added to make things easier to understand. But there still was enough nagging doubt that I called DNR this afternoon. I spoke with Diane Samuels in the Fisheries program and explained that I saw two different interpretations of the actual rules. She clarified that the maps had been created by DNR to provide a simpler and more readily understandable version of the regulatory requirements. I now feel more comfortable about fishing in the Severn.
    John Veil
    Annapolis
    Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

The rockfish regulations are like the the tax code. You need a degree to understand them and they change every year.
    Mike S.
    Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
    3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

LOL. No joke.

Outback 2015
      Maui

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
        The rockfish regulations are like the the tax code. You need a degree to understand them and they change every year.
        try understanding waterfowl regs in the Chesapeake....makes rockfish rules look like Sesame Street.
        14.5 ft Sand colored Malibu X-Factor "the promise"
        2010 Hobie Outback "the Gift Horse II"

Comment

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
          But there still was enough nagging doubt that I called DNR this afternoon. ...... I now feel more comfortable about fishing in the Severn.

John: You're a true sportman....... Good job.
          Wilderness Systems Ride 135

Comment

Thanks for calling John. After seeing the map, I now plan to go trolling in the rivers. DNR should just use plain language or edit the regulations booklet that comes with the license. I do mostly C&R all year anyway. Although, until June 1, I may take a copy of the Fisheries Service map with me.

I also used to waterfowl hunt. I know the feeling.

Comment

John, thanks for making the call. I look forward to another srrkc meeting and hopefully the chance to fish with you this summer. Capt D and I are sharing office space in Eastport and I've been looking forward to "bring your kayak to work" day (aka Friday) to try out some new launch opportunities.
              LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
              Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                John, thanks for making the call. I look forward to another srrkc meeting and hopefully the chance to fish with you this summer. Capt D and I are sharing office space in Eastport and I've been looking forward to "bring your kayak to work" day (aka Friday) to try out some new launch opportunities.
                Doug -

The next SRRKC meeting is tomorrow night (Wed May 1) at the Greene Turtle restaurant across from Annapolis Mall. We have a semi-private room available in the back.
                John Veil
                Annapolis

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

What time does the meeting start John?

Originally posted by J.A. Veil View Post
                  Doug -

The next SRRKC meeting is tomorrow night (Wed May 1) at the Greene Turtle restaurant across from Annapolis Mall. We have a semi-private room available in the back.
                  Shane
                  Hobie Outback

Comment

Originally posted by Reelaxin10 View Post
                    What time does the meeting start John?
                    The meetings are very informal -- normally no more than 5 minutes of club business. The rest of the time is spent telling fishing stories and talking with friends. The official start time is 7:00, but you can come any time from 6:30 to 9:30. Ask for the back room.
                    John Veil
                    Annapolis

Comment

Working...
                    X