Double Masgouf

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Masgouf

This is the first time I tried a double Masgouf set-up on an open fire and it was awesome!

Did this at my in-laws and decided to also do a taste test. Speckled Trout versus Bluefish. For the finish I made a light sauce that consisted of tamarind concentrate, water, olive oil, salt, pepper, tomatoes, and an Iraqi key ingredient: Date syrup. When I laid the fish on its back on the coal (scale side down) I spooned the sauce on the fish as it was cooking. After about 3-5 minutes, I took it off using a spatula to keep as much as the sauce on the fish.

Man it was dynamite!

The results of the taste test really surprised me… my in-laws don't eat as much fish as we do in our house and I totally thought they were going to pick the speckled trout for it's milder taste… to my surprise they all loved the bluefish more… even my brother in-law's kids picked the bluefish over the speck!

I'm telling you… Masgouf makes everything taste phenomenal!

Enjoy the pics:

-Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Man, that looks so good. So they preferred the bluefish over trout? Wow. Looks like I will need you to cook any bluefish that I catch from now on.

Comment

Interesting, did you ever do a write up on this, or plan to do a demo at a meet and greet?
      "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

I'm all for a demo at the next meet and greet!

Comment

I am in for a demo at a meet and greet too! LOL

Comment

Originally posted by archeryrob View Post
            Interesting, did you ever do a write up on this, or plan to do a demo at a meet and greet?
            I did a couple of posts on it. I'm going to try to post every new species that gets Masgoufed and anytime there is something different (like doing a double)!

Here is a recent post where I explain a few things:

http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...6367#post56367 (If you go to the first page, you'll see the first Speck that got the treatment)

If you have any questions, I'll do my best to answer them

A demo at a M&G would be my pleasure! We just need to find a spot that allows open fires...and needless to mention, worthy sized fish!
            -Mustafa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

That looks great!
              Mike S.
              Hobie Outback
              Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
              3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Nice! My mouth is watering. Bluefish get a bad rap, I have no problems with fresh bluefish. They just don't freeze well.
                Ryan
                Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

I've got a fire pit in the back yard. You are welcome to demo at the M&G next month.

Comment

Masgouf demo at the may m&g? I am going to try even harder to make it now.
                    Sun Fishin'

Comment

I like those "spit" holders (if that what they r called) where do i get a set of those?
                      Jackson - BIG TUNA

Comment

Originally posted by nay_sayer View Post
                        I've got a fire pit in the back yard. You are welcome to demo at the M&G next month.
                        There you go, Mustafa. Are you going to John's?

I just had a fried egg sandwich and your fish is making me hungry!
                        Last edited by archeryrob; 04-29-2013, 07:20 AM.
                        "If you can't have fun doing it, it ain't worth doing." ... or you're just doing it wrong.

My Blog "Confessions of a fisherman, hunter and tinkerer"

Comment

Originally posted by wfauby View Post
                          I like those "spit" holders (if that what they r called) where do i get a set of those?
                          I believe the holders are camping hotdog stands and a skewer.

Comment

Masgouf my fish and meat is something I must learn.
                            http://docirvcustombaits.com/baitbox/
                            484-459-9863
                            If you are not satisfied with the color or texture of your custom made Doc Irv baits just let me know and I will redo it at no cost to you to your satisfaction, because I am not happy unless you are happy.*
                            *But if you are one of those people who is never satisfied then I retain the right to be unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by docirv View Post
                              Masgouf my fish and meat is something I must learn.
                              Awesome Doc! Way to use the new terminology! It would be awesome if it became part of every kayak fisherman's terminology! LOL!!

So Masgouf refers to splitting the fish and since people need to split the fish to roast it, it started referring to roasted split fish. Meat is usually kabobed (where kabob started referring to any roasted meat). I'll be happy to teach you how to do both Masgouf and Kabob Doc!

Thanks much for the offer nay_sayer! Unfortunately I'm not sure I can make the May M&G because my weekends are up in the air during that month. So if not this one we can try for another get together at your house if you'd like. If something changes I'll definitely let you all know!

Thanks for answering wfauby Martin. I found all the stuff at Walmart's camping section. I usually use skewers I had for kabob (from the mideast grocery store) and they have been working perfectly for fish up to 22". I've been looking for something longer and I saw the hotdog skewers at Walmart right next to these. It's a long skewer with a U-shape on the end. My Brother in-law cut the U off and sharpened the ends for me. Those are what you see in the pictures. Now I can do fish around 30-34"! Can't wait to get a striper that size!
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X