Yak storage advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yak storage advice

So, I'm 95% ready to get my first kayak. I've bought everything I need except the kayak. One heartache/cold feet I'm having is I am renting with no garage and storing my kayak outside is keeping me awake at night.

Does anyone else store their kayak outside? If so, how do you secure it.

I was thinking of building a wooden box to double as a stand to keep it off the ground, keep it covered with tarp, and use cable locks through the scupper holes to lock it to the box. I've read stories of people not locking their kayaks and having them stolen. Is it really that big of an issue?

Any advice/easy solutions. Let me know. I would like to get my kayak soon to get on the water.

Aaron

I do! I keep my kayak on my 2nd story deck (I live in a townhouse). I keep it under an all-weather kayak cover and it does a pretty good job of keeping it dry and clean.

If someone wants to try to steal it they're going to have a fun time climbing up and getting it back down. I could use a bike lock and run it through the scupper to a beam but I sleep okay at night.

It does make it interesting carrying it through the house since I'm not on the end
    Dave
    2013 Hobie Revolution 11

MMIG

Comment

I keep mine outside, I have it on a rack upside down. No cover no chains. Sitting next to my boat. I sleep fine, the way I see it, anyone looking for a quick grab to make quick cash wouldn't steal a plastic boat. It would be power tools, vehicle, lawn mowers, dirt bikes.. Who's going to want a kayak with a hole in it. Even if they do take it, 1 I better not be around. And 2 it was fun while it lasted, time to buy a PA. Lol
      Jason

-2017 ivory dune pro angler 12' with micro power pole, Lowrance EliteTI7, boonedox landing gear
      -2015 olive outback with Lowrance Hook7,micro power pole, seadek kit, micro power pole
      -Orange Heritage featherlite

Comment

Working...
      X