Roof Rack issues - Need Advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Rack issues - Need Advice

I am in the process of purchasing my first kayak, however, I have not figured out the roof rack configuration needed.

I have a 2003 Ford Explorer, but it does not have the OEM cross rails that most other Explorers have. I am looking to buy an Ascend FS128T, which has a very flat wide bottom. I went into BPS today with all intentions of getting the FS12t, but saw the new FS128t, and that threw a wrench into everything. The sales reps at BPS are everything but helpful, so I am having to assume what is needed.

What I think I need:

- (2) cross rails (either OEM or aftermarket, I'm leaning towards Malone 50")
    - (2) 12" V-shape foam pads (even though the bottom of the kayak is flat)
    - and front/rear tie-downs
    - also looking for a cart, but haven't settled on a specific one yet

I was considering the J-hook style, but the FS128t won't fit in those. Not sure if I even need the foam pads, the guys at BPS didn't seem to know. I've seen them used with cross rails or used naked on the vehicle.

Any advice?
    1. I don't want to spend a fortune, that's why I'm looking at the Malone's, but if OEM works then I may scour local salvage yards or find someone who has a 2003 Explorer and offer to buy theirs.
    2. Do I even need to waste money on the foam pads? Are they necessary? If so, are there cheaper alternatives?

Hey Aaron
    I have a 2004 explorer. I went with the aftermarket Mont Blanc cross bars rated at 100 kg which converts to 220 lbs. I have thrown my Cuda 14 on top with and without padding. I found that without padding there tends to be some side to side play no matter how much you tighten it down. The padding wants to expand against the yack making it a tighter hold. padding also protects the bottom of the yak. A cheap alternative to the Malone pad are pool noodles. I would also keep a thick towel to place on the back of the explorer to protect the paint. I have managed to scratch mine. Loading and unloading without help is pretty difficult. I put the bow on the back end resting against the towel and slide it on. Hope the helps.
    Ed
    Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Thanks! That helps a lot.

I actually thought about pool noodles, but I figured the interior diameter of the noodle would have to be carved out to fit over a cross bar. The Malone pads are only 20 bucks on Amazon right now.

As for tie-downs, is there a tie kit out there, or do you use Home Depot/Lowes tie downs?

Comment

I used something as pictured in the link below
        http://m.rei.com/mt/www.rei.com/prod...-kayak-carrier
        The tie dow buckle is spring loaded so no knotts and you pull it tight. I stay away from the mechanical rachet type as it is easy to over tighten and possibly damage the kayak. As for the front and rear tie downs I use a nylon cord not much thicker than para cord. I loop it through the front and rear handle and us a trucker hitch knott very easy to tie. I leave these attached to the handles and buch th up and secure the rope underneath a deck bunge. I will post a picture later.
        Ed
        Jackson Cuda 14

Comment

Working...
        X