No announcement yet.

Pictures of rigged kayaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My guide (Rob) fishing in Indian River Lagoon/Merritt Island NWA had installed Scotty rod holders on his Hobie Pro Angler- that's it- no electronics, very simple setup- my Native Ultimate 14.5 angler had one scotty rod holder the guide had installed for bait fishing- otherwise it was exactly the way it came from the factory- he had an IPhone 5 with all kinds of apps for fishing- fish weather, radar, tide finders, GPS, etc.
    "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
    2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
    "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
    Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
      My guide (Rob) fishing in Indian River Lagoon/Merritt Island NWA had installed Scotty rod holders on his Hobie Pro Angler- that's it- no electronics, very simple setup- my Native Ultimate 14.5 angler had one scotty rod holder the guide had installed for bait fishing- otherwise it was exactly the way it came from the factory- he had an IPhone 5 with all kinds of apps for fishing- fish weather, radar, tide finders, GPS, etc.
      What was the name of your guides outfit? How was the fishing? My family just moved to DeLand, FL and ill be looking into a kayak guide outfit to get myself introduced to the area when I visit.

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
        John,
        What do they do differently there in FL?
        I have kayak fished several times on the Gulf Coast (Tampa, Sarasota, Ft. Myers). My experience is far from exhaustive but here is what I observed in those areas.

There were far more paddle kayaks and fewer Hobies (in part because much of the fishing where I was (Tampa Bay) was done in flats or other relatively shallow water where the turbofins would not provide much advantage for propulsion). Also few of the kayakers bother with fishfinders because they are fishing in shallow areas where the sonar readings would not help much.

I rarely use an anchor here in Maryland, but the guide who took me out in Tampa Bay uses an anchor routinely in shallow water -- to keep from drifting. He drops an anchor in 2 ft of water to hold the boat, then casts down-wind. To move, he picks up the anchor and drifts 50 yds, then drops the anchor again. One other guide I fished with last year used a stake-out pole to accomplish the same thing. That did not work when we were in depths greater than 3-4 ft.
        John Veil
        Annapolis
        Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Ah I see. I'll be fishing down there a couple times this summer. Can't wait!
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Here are some photos:

Ft Myers - April 2012 - The guide had a nice Malibu with an electric motor. He put me in a very basic (and wet) sit on top. My kayak had no amenities other than the seat and a stake out pole.

001.jpg 2012-04-20_08-54-49_129.jpg

Sarasota - April 2012 - I met this guy at the local kayak rental shop. He offered to take me fishing in his own kayaks (Wilderness Tarpons). He had nothing special rigged on that one either, but it was definitely nicer than the kayak the guide gave me in Ft Myers.

001.jpg 002.jpg

Tampa Bay region (actually Miguel Bay) - January 2013 - Fished with guide Neil Taylor who uses Native Ultimates. He had a crate with upright rod holder and a separate cooler in his kayak. Mine was completely open but did have one or two Scotty rod holders. The third photos shows me at anchor in shallow water.

001.jpg 005.jpg 009.jpg
            John Veil
            Annapolis
            Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

cool pics, thanks for sharing. My first trip in FL I will be in a rental yak. Second time around we're trailering our yaks down.

Comment

my yak
                Attached Files

Comment

I just realized that I don't have any photos of my PA. However, this is a photo of the OK Big Game Prowler, which I sold a few years back.

DSC00004.jpg

For those considering LED lights, you may want to consider red. They suit the same purpose and will lessen your loss of night vision. I considered lights a few year back for night fishing.

Comment

Jim,

do you run the lights on the same battery as the fishfinder?

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
                    Just a few things on my Outback.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6225[/ATTACH]

Lexan floor I made to keep my feet dry while on the water.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6226[/ATTACH]

Battery mounted in rear hatch.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6227[/ATTACH]

Lights in front well area to help see when night fishing.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]6228[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]6229[/ATTACH]
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I don't know how Jim ran his wires. LED lights are such a low draw you can use the same battery. I would only use the lights when I would re-tie a line or when needed.

Comment

Yep, that battery runs both lights and the FF for many many outings on a single charge. I really only charge it 3 or 4 times a year. The fish finder is a black and white no frills unit that draws very little power.
                        Jim

Hobie Outback
                        TKAA member
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers inc.

Everyone should believe in something... I believe I'll go fishing.

Comment

My rigged yak0406131855a.jpg

Comment

High and dry.DSCN0007.jpgDSCN0008.jpg Ready to goCIMG0758.jpg
                            Mike and son Jeffrey Yellow Hobie Pro Angler
                            Olive Hobie Outback

Comment

my camera mount setup:

I have a scotty base installed on each side, so I can switch up if needed. This allows betters angles than when I used to use the head strap mount, and provides for better video stability. This setup allows for just about any angle, including underwater shots.

Comment

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

I have an elite 4 on one side. Camera mount/ rod holder on the other. Paddle clip. N some lights
                                Zach Moore
                                Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
                                Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
                                Bait Towel Pro Staff
                                2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
                                YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Working...
                                X