Basic Rod/Reel Setups for the Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
    Hey Ictalurus - Is there a reason you prefer the 6.5" rods?
    Mostly it's just for ease of handling around the house and in my pickup. I have a few heavy 7 footers, and I'm always bouncing the tips off the ceiling, door frames, ceiling fans, etc. Plus, I like to transport my rods in the cab of my truck, a 7 footer has to be angled just right so that it fits between the foot well and the ceiling. I haven't had to worry about steering fish around the bow yet, and I probably have enough reach that I don't need a longer rod. I'm not sure if that'll still be the case with the Revo, though.
    Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
    Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

On my short experience from last season, I have 3 rods that I was really comfortable with...my 7' ugly stick, my 7' striper rod that I got from Redfish12, and my reliable 5'5" Shakespeare Pro-am rod.

This last rod I've had since I was 15....and was part of a $14.95 spincast combo from WalMart. I can cast lightweight lures with this rod more accurately than any of my setups. This comes in handy when working docks along shorelines.

My favorite kayak reel for the bay has been the Okuma Avenger ABF30.
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by MetroMan View Post
        On my short experience from last season, I have 3 rods that I was really comfortable with...my 7' ugly stick, my 7' striper rod that I got from Redfish12, and my reliable 5'5" Shakespeare Pro-am rod.

This last rod I've had since I was 15....and was part of a $14.95 spincast combo from WalMart. I can cast lightweight lures with this rod more accurately than any of my setups. This comes in handy when working docks along shorelines.

My favorite kayak reel for the bay has been the Okuma Avenger ABF30.
        those okumas are nice arnt they? im waiting for my 3rd avenger to get here a 5000 bait feeder going to put 30lb diamond braid on it. getting ready for the cows.

i always get 2 piece rods they fit in my sport trac even my surf rods, my boat rods are 1 piece and i have to put them through the sliders which can be noisy and cold going to the beach
        Last edited by surfdog; 01-24-2011, 05:04 PM.

Comment

Any of you guys you low-profile bait casters? I just picked this up the other day. 7ft MH Abu Garcia Vertias rod with a BPS Pro Qualifier 7.1.1 Currently most of my fishing is for LM Bass. Hoping I get a bit of crossover with my tackle when it comes to yak fishing the bay for stipers. Planning on throwing some 30lb braid on this. I have 7-8 rods about this same size that I'm hoping to use mix of bait caster and spinning. I also have big surf rods and heavy boat trolling rods but nothing in between. Might not be bad idea to pick up a med duty troller for big boy season.

Digital Livewell

Comment

Alot of your bass tackle will work in the bay. Stripers are big and scappy, but they are still bass. No need, for like some in the bay, to go out rigged for marlin. Even trolling for spring stripers can be fun on light to medium boat rods or heavy casting tackle. Remember, you will be in a kayak, anything over 20 lbs test and you are just being towed. If you are fishing near snags or the bridge pilings, you may need some heavier line for abrasion resistance. There are types of mono, which are formulated for abrasion resistance. There is also florocarbon, which is great for resistance to abrasion. There alot of guys in here who live line near the bridge. Nothing that a flippin stick can't handle.
            Last edited by DOGFISH; 01-24-2011, 11:11 PM.

Comment

I'll be curious to hear how you like the Veritas. I checked one out at Bass Pro and liked it better than their Carbonlite. They seem to get really good reviews from the freshwater crowd, but I haven't seen too many saltwater reviews yet. Interestingly, I didn't care for the Vendetta very much. The handle felt weird, and it seemed really tip heavy.

Baitcasters are good for jigging up flounder and croakers, too. One of my reels has a flipping switch, which comes in handy when the depth changes a lot. I ended up liking that feature more than I thought I would.
              Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
              Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

I'll be sure to let you know how I like it. First impression of just holding it with the reel attached are pretty good. I am a little worried about comfort issues associated with the screw down that holds the reel in place. It's simply a threaded piece of aluminum shaped like bell. The flared edge at the bottom is fairly sharp and there is no padding anywhere above the reel. I don't think it's going to be a problem but I won't know for sure until I start casting it. I wasn't impressed with the Vendetta either. The Veritas is noticeably lighter than the Vendetta. I also don't like the machined, anodized aluminum butt(again with a sharp edge) they put on the Vendetta. If you have to jam that thing into your gutt it's not going to feel nice, not to mention, I don't think it would take long for that soft aluminum butt to get nicked, scratched and beat up.

Vendetta Butt

Veritas Butt and Screw Down
                Digital Livewell

Comment

I use a Quantum Catalyst PT baitcaster, 6.3:1, on an All Star Fast-Light 6'6" rod, for throwing top water plugs for stripers. I've been using spinners for over forty years and started using baitcasters since last year. I really like baitcasters. Been thinking about getting a Curado 300 for kayak and shore fishing.
                  Last edited by tufnik; 01-25-2011, 04:25 PM.
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

watch those fresh water reels, the salt will corrode them quick if not cleaned. i think the currado has a pretty good finish and rated for the salt

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                      I use a Quantum Catalyst PT baitcaster, 6.3:1, on an All Star Fast-Light 6'6" rod, for throwing top water plugs for stripers. I've been using spinners for over forty years and started using baitcasters since last year. I really like baitcasters. Been thinking about getting a Curado 300 for kayak and shore fishing.
                      Curado's are really nice ......... I'm trying the Revo's this year ........ calcuttas last couple of years ........

Comment

I normally wash all my rods and reels after every outing. I like to keep my equipment in top shape. Forgot to mention, I picked up a Daiwa Luna 203 a few days ago. Nice and smooth. Can't wait to throw top water plugs and stuff this Spring.

Comment

I have always rinsed my gear with fresh water after every outing. I have some rods that go back to the 1980s. They are still in good shape. The reels have changed due to technology, with braid things have gotten smaller and lighter. I have been using a Curado 301E for the last two years. It is a great casting reel. It takes a little to get it adjusted for casting. However, once you get it adjusted its nice. I have used two Calcutta TE reels, a 400 and a 401 for the last few years. I use them mostly for trolling. Its very nice to use a light weight system for trolling. It is also nice to use a left hand reel on the left side of the kayak and a right hand reel on the right side of the kayak. The Calcuttas are very smooth. This year I am building two flippin sticks into longer trolling rods for the Calcuttas. These should make great trolling rods for those reels. The longer rods will give me more spread of the lines. Things tend to get somewhat close in a kayak, so I mount the rod holders to hold the rods like outriggers. It tends to work.

Gook luck with rigging your rods.

Comment

How long are you flippin' rods? 8'?

Comment

Originally posted by tufnik View Post
                              How long are you flippin' rods? 8'?

7.5 ft., St Croix blanks.

Comment

Working...
                              X