Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RetroYellow,
    Thank you very much!
    The PVC Rack is one of TOP 2 in Kayak Fishing in my opinion, Duct seal and PVC Rack
    Thank you again from a guy with 4 kayaks.

Joe
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Readfish12 and Tufnik,

Thank you. I thought I need to put additional two PVC pipes parallel to the width of the rack to keep the kayak upside up. Instead, I will get pool noodles and put the kayak upside down

Thank you

joe
      Fish like there's no tomorrow.
      Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
      https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

[QUOTE=Builder Mike;77366]Very nice! Yes some HD locking casters would be a great addition to your rack. With no shear system how does it not rack back and forth when you load and unload? Are the two horizontal members on the sides are sufficient enough to keep it sturdy? I built a similar one out of pvc like yours with casters but it got brittle and exploded when was pushing it and hit a bump in the driveway, prompting me to go to iron pipe for more strength.[/QUOTE

I would not at this time try to load and unload the yaks by myself as it is regide but will hold up to some abuse.
        I have not cemented it together because I wanted to be able to take it apart and store it in the shed when the weather warms ups. It is held together with self tapping screws. I like the rack more than I thought I would so I will be cementing it together when I get a day I can leave the doors open for fresh air and not freeze.
        I will let you know if that makes it stong enough for me to want to load it by myself.

ComeOnFish, I will putting pool noodles as soon as I find some.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

It's nice to see that people are finding this thread useful (or at least interesting); there's been over 6000 views. Not surprising with all the great collaboration as people share their ideas and builds.

To offer an update on my storage rack, mine is still holding up strong. No issues with it so far. But I'm being mindful about the risk of it getting brittle with long term UV exposure. I have some 404 protectant and will use it on the rack along with the yak. That plus a tarp should keep things worry free.

Btw: I do store my yaks upside down on the "gunwales" as recommended; the yaks were right side up just for the photos after I built the rack.

@Comeonfish: I think we live in nearby communities; we should carpool sometime on a future trip.

Comment

Since cementing together it seems pretty tough. I have loaded and unloaded bottom 2 yaks by myself several times and unloaded 3rd yak with no problems. I did not see any reason for me to load the top alone, it would be to emdarassing explaining to my wife how I lost a wrestling match with a kayak.

I will be moving it outside and putting a cover over it, if it ever stops snowing.
            Last edited by Birddog; 03-16-2014, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Hey before you glue it together get some 45 degree angle joints and run one from top front corner to the bottom rear corner on both sides. This will add a lot of strength to the frame and keep it from rocking front to back. Just a thought.

Comment

Pictures

I dont see the pictures that show how to put the stand together. Can you repost or am I just looking in the wrong place?

Originally posted by retroyellow View Post
                I've been keeping my kayak leaned up against the deck, standing on its bow, outdoors exposed to the elements for over a year. I've always felt a little guilty about neglecting her like that, so I finally took the time to build a storage rack. It was really out of necessity because I just acquired another Oasis that belonged to my friend who lost interest.

I post this for anyone else thinking about building something similar. I thought it would be a time consuming endeavor, but it was quite fast and easy. It took me only a few hours from thinking about the design to having a finished product, and half of that was wasted at Lowes trying to figure out and find what pieces I would need. A parts list is provided below to save you that trouble.

Parts list:
                (01 ct) plumbers pvc cement kit; includes primer and cement cans
                (16 ct) 1.5" t-fittings, interior use fittings, not the drainage pvc fittings
                (05 ct) 10' x 1.5" schedule 40 solid core PVC pipe:
                Using the above pipes, cut the number of pieces in specified lengths as listed:
                (08 ct) couplers; pipe cut into 2" lengths
                (04 ct) vertical posts; pipe cut into 2' lengths
                (04 ct) short horizontal supports; pipe cut into 3' lengths
                (04 ct) long horizontal supports; pipe cut into 7' lengths

Once you have all the pieces cut to length, just assemble as you see in the linked photos. I dont have any of the pieces cemented together yet (I ran out of time). But I plan on cementing only the fittings that connect to the horizontal supports. That way, you can partly disassemble it for flat transport, if necessary.

Hit me up with any questions, and I'll be happy to answer.

R/Y

Comment

This is the setup I fabricated using power strut and conduit. It's shown holding my Coosa but presently it's holding my Big Tuna...........image.jpgimage.jpg

Comment

This looks Great! What is the total height from ground to top of the Kayak on top? We are looking at putting some in an area that has water view homes around it and don't want to block anyone's view but need to stack at least two Yak's on it. we will be looking at side loading as opposed to end loading. Any help or advice would be Gratefully accepted.

Comment

Originally posted by eyedaddy View Post
                      This looks Great! What is the total height from ground to top of the Kayak on top? We are looking at putting some in an area that has water view homes around it and don't want to block anyone's view but need to stack at least two Yak's on it. we will be looking at side loading as opposed to end loading. Any help or advice would be Gratefully accepted.
                      +1! That looks really good and sturdy!
                      LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                      Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

A quick FYI. Those of you wanting to use PVC but worried about the UV rays from the sun, upgrade to SCH80 PVC. Sch80 is a gray heavy duty PVC that will take UV better than SCH40. It is also a lot more ridgid than regular PVC, you could probably get away with using 1.5" all around. The only issue with this is you cant pick it up at your local Home Depot ot Lowes, you will have to go to a plumbing wholesaler like Thos Somerville Co. and have them order it for you.

Comment

Rolling Rack For Hobie PA 14s

Thank you for your forum post. I used your design and modified the dimensions to accommodate my Hobie Pro Angler 14s. It works great!
                          Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                          X