PVC Storage Rack for Kayak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC Storage Rack for Kayak

I've been keeping my kayak leaned up against the deck, standing on its bow, outdoors exposed to the elements for over a year. I've always felt a little guilty about neglecting her like that, so I finally took the time to build a storage rack. It was really out of necessity because I just acquired another Oasis that belonged to my friend who lost interest.

I post this for anyone else thinking about building something similar. I thought it would be a time consuming endeavor, but it was quite fast and easy. It took me only a few hours from thinking about the design to having a finished product, and half of that was wasted at Lowes trying to figure out and find what pieces I would need. A parts list is provided below to save you that trouble.

Parts list:
    (01 ct) plumbers pvc cement kit; includes primer and cement cans
    (16 ct) 1.5" t-fittings, interior use fittings, not the drainage pvc fittings
    (05 ct) 10' x 1.5" schedule 40 solid core PVC pipe:
    Using the above pipes, cut the number of pieces in specified lengths as listed:
    (08 ct) couplers; pipe cut into 2" lengths
    (04 ct) vertical posts; pipe cut into 2' lengths
    (04 ct) short horizontal supports; pipe cut into 3' lengths
    (04 ct) long horizontal supports; pipe cut into 7' lengths

Once you have all the pieces cut to length, just assemble as you see in the linked photos. I dont have any of the pieces cemented together yet (I ran out of time). But I plan on cementing only the fittings that connect to the horizontal supports. That way, you can partly disassemble it for flat transport, if necessary.

Hit me up with any questions, and I'll be happy to answer.

R/Y
    Last edited by retroyellow; 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM.

Looks nice good job. Going to try this as a project when i'm free.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

thanks for the pics and directions! i had to move my kayak out of the garage this year along with adding to the fleet, so i have been researching rack systems. i was thinking pressure treated wood, but will definitely consider this. thanks!
      sigpic

Comment

Looks good. If you keep it outside you can add some 45's at the four corners and 90's at the top to hang a tarp over it and keep them out of the sun. Just a thought.

Comment

Doesn't Hobie recommend storing the kayaks flipped over as opposed to the way you show them? Supposed to be better for weight...

Comment

Nice bro! Thanks for sharing!
            -Mustafa
            ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
            2016 Hobie Outback
            2012 Hobie Revolution 13
            "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Looks great! I'd recommend storing them upside down when or when it gets warm you'll get some indentations from those bars. Another thing that could help would be to put some thick pool noodles on the bar to help spread the contact point with the hull. Either way looks like it will work well and I am sure way cheaper than my factory version (http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...0/product.html). It's amazing what you can make with PVC!
              Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
              Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
              https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

My experience with PVC is that with time it gets brittle and isn't very strong- I built a work stand out of 2 inch schedule 40 PVC and it broke while I was working on my Hobie Outback- the four way union broke-
                "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

+2 Should be stored upside down. Your design looks like you could add a third shelf on top, in case you get a 3rd yak, like a Hobie.....
                  2015 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2011 Hobie Outback (yellow)
                  2009 OK Prowler Trident 13 Angler (orange)

Comment

This is a cut/paste of a post that I made a few months back for a rolling rack that I built.

Here's a rolling rack project that I did about three years ago and posted on a couple other sites. Some changes that I've made since then:

I made slings for all three bunks. I keep a Revo, Kaskazi DII and Ocean Kayak P-13 on this rack. All three kayaks are kept hull down in the slings. I know some folks advised hull up on the bunks, but I've never had a single issue with oil canning and it's much more convenient this way. Anyone hanging a kayak from a hoist would have a similar arrangement. The other boats are relegated to an A-frame rack on the side yard.

Here's a day project that might help free up some floor space in the garage. Good for burning a snowy day! We have a single car garage and were constantly stumbling over both the kayaks. I didn't really want to store them outside; we live in NJ...I didn't want these kayaks boosted

I wanted a rack that could hold up to 3 kayaks, but be able to get them all out of the way if needed. I found some other similar designs on the web, but adapted some of the better features to make something that would work best for me. A trip to the Home Depot got me the wood, hardware and misc supplies needed.

Overall outside dimensions are 72" x 39". The inside width dimensions were dictated by the fattest boat at that time (OK Malibu 2XL).

I wanted to be able to slide the kayaks onto the crosspieces or bunks, so I used black foam pipe insulation and covered them with indoor/outdoor carpet. I wrapped the carpet around the top and sides and secured it to the bottom of the 2x4's with staples all the way across. You'll need a staple gun for this.

The OK sits directly on the bunks. I don't really worry about creating permanent dents in the bottom of this boat. They're built like tanks and because of the bottom design, not likely to get damaged. I was a little more concerned about storing the Revo in the same fashion. I decided to create a sling. I bought some 4" wide winch strap material from online. I doubled over the material on the one side and screwed it to the 2x4 using fender washers and screws. You can easily poke holes in the material using a pencil soldering iron. On the other side I installed a d-ring and secured it using a small bolt, nut and lock washer. This side gets hung on the hooks. When I want to use the boat, I unhook both D-rings from the hooks, ease the boat onto the bunks, and slide the Revo out.

I used these corner brackets that I picked up at HD to secure all the cross piece bunks to the uprights and horizontal long pieces. They save a bunch of time and worked out pretty well.

I got some heavy duty rolling casters from Harbor Freight. I made sure that they had real ball bearings and could handle quite a bit of weight. I screwed in short pieces of 2x4's to the bottom so that I could get some long screws into the bottom to mount the wheels on.

I've had the rack in use for several years and it's working out great for us. When I want to get something off the shelf in back of it, it's fairly easy to roll it out of the way. I can roll it right out into the driveway if I want to clean the garage. Make sure that you have some wheel chocks ready. You don't want to be chasing your rack and yaks down the driveway.

Comment

man these are great racks...LOL
                      Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
                      Asian Anglerz
                      TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

DYI pipe strorage rack

Just finished this rack. 1" galvanized pipe 4" lockable casters. All made from home depot ($110.00)off the shelf parts. Strong as an ox and very maneuverable...
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ronaultmtd View Post
                          My experience with PVC is that with time it gets brittle and isn't very strong- I built a work stand out of 2 inch schedule 40 PVC and it broke while I was working on my Hobie Outback- the four way union broke-
                          From what I understand, the commonly used white PVC is for indoor use only and kept out of the sun will last a very long time. Outdoors it can get brittle from the sun's UV rays. That's where the grey PVC comes in... its UV ray resistant and won't get brittle.

Nice racks fellas ( uh, that sounds awkward)... No seriously, I especially like the rolling concept.
                          2018 Hobie Outback (seagrass)
                          Old Town Camper Canoe (red)

Comment

I like the idea of having the rack on wheels and I might try to incorporate it to my rack,just not sure if the pipe will hold up with all the weight on it.
                            5 10' schedule 40 PVC cut to;
                            12 x 18"
                            8 x 2'
                            4 x 9'
                            24 T joints
                            IMG_20140131_163309_633.jpg

Not the worst way to spend a snow day
                            Last edited by Birddog; 03-16-2014, 08:05 PM. Reason: had to change form 8' horizontal to 9' to it easier to load kayaks

Comment

Very nice! Yes some HD locking casters would be a great addition to your rack. With no shear system how does it not rack back and forth when you load and unload? Are the two horizontal members on the sides are sufficient enough to keep it sturdy? I built a similar one out of pvc like yours with casters but it got brittle and exploded when was pushing it and hit a bump in the driveway, prompting me to go to iron pipe for more strength.

Comment

Working...
                              X