Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

GoPro? Waterproof camera?...suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoPro? Waterproof camera?...suggestions?

I Was thinking about buying a GoPro this summer to record some fishing trips. Wanting to spend no more than $125. Any body use GoPro or something else? What are some pros and cons. The hero3 silver edition is going for $200...anybody currently use this model?

GoPro3 silver addition: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO3...ds=gopro+hero3

Thanks for your feedback!

i use the gopro silver....upgraded from the original to the gopro3 silver. it comes with a waterproof housing, so its fully waterproof. my only complaint is that if your using the wifi feature, it drains your battery fast. i would suggest buying the extended battery pack if your using the wifi with remote.
    Hobie Revolution 13
    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

I've been using the ContourGPS for a while. I really liked it. Then I scored a 1st gen Contour+ on eBay for $200 (originally $450+). I LOVE the quality/cost ratio of this camera...so much so that I picked up a second Contour+ (on eBay again) for $220.

I'll soon be selling the ContourGPS
      <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Originally posted by Pberry View Post
        I Was thinking about buying a GoPro this summer to record some fishing trips. Wanting to spend no more than $125. Any body use GoPro or something else? What are some pros and cons. The hero3 silver edition is going for $200...anybody currently use this model?

GoPro3 silver addition: http://www.amazon.com/GoPro-HD-HERO3...ds=gopro+hero3

Thanks for your feedback!
        Pberry,
        I don't intend to discourage you or offend other with any kinds of waterproof cameras.
        Ask how long they had the cameras and how many videos have been produced. Ask why it is so difficult to produce a video while kayak fishing. Ask how they take videos in detail. To me, intension or hope is not a plan or strategy that can be executed especially for kayakers who want to take videos of their fishing.

Are you going to hold the camera or mount it?
        joe
        Fish like there's no tomorrow.
        Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

No thank you for your repsonse! All are great questions and deff ones I need to think before jumping into something. I love watching videos on youtube from kayakers recording their trips and think it would be neat to try it for myself which is why my budget is somewhat low. I intend for the camera to be mounted.

Comment

Pberry

I don't have remote control unit for my cameras at all. So I reach one camera at a time to turn on, set to video mode, verify the video is on, and take videos

At this point, I use two Olympus Stylus Tough 8010 (720p) with 5 batteries and one additional charger (Wasabi).
            I also have a GoPro2 (1080p) with 5 batteries, one charger (Wasabi) and a Screen Bacpac.

I use handheld and helmet-mounted cameras. There are good reasons for it.
            But you want to mount the camera on 1-2 fixed spots on a kayak. - I got that

Anyway, here is my take:
            First, I liked 1080P over 720p for the quality of the video. This doesn't mean 720p is bad. For Youtube fishing video, 720p is good enough. I am waiting for
            Olympus Tough TG-820 (1080p) until the price comes down
            The reason I use Olympus is that I push buttons twice to start Video. Olympus comes with One-Touch HD Movie - this means 1) power button, 2) video start button and verify the video has started. It still takes 6-8 seconds. There is also one-touch still photo button

I have Nikon. The sequence is 1)power button. If the last mode was video mode before the power off, then, the video mode is on when the power on, 2) push start button for video and verify the video has started. It takes 6-8 seconds. If the last mode was still photo mode, then you need to push the mode button and push arrow button few times to select the video mode. to take a photo after video, push mode button , push arrow button several times to select photo button. This is true for all other regular cameras

GoPro2 - One button is used for power on/off and select the mode. The same button for 1) power on, 2) start button for the last mode before turned off. It takes about 4-5 seconds to start video My problem is when I push the power on button too long, the mode starts from still photo mode. Then I hit the same button 7 times to get to the video mode, then hit start button
            it takes about 10 - 14 second while sitting on the kayak. But this is an user error

Add additional time if the camera is mounted on a pole behind you or on the bow. The problem is that THE FISH ARE GONE (especially flounder - depending on species) by the time the camera is ready.

We have many owners of GoPro with remote control unit on the forum. They can help you in how to improve taking video during kayak fishing

joe
            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-12-2013, 10:33 PM.
            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

Lots of info to consider. I feel the one-touch HD movie feature for the olympus is GREAT and the fact that while in video mode you can still hit one button for a still photo.

As for quality I would definitely want to go with 1080 because I believe it does make a difference. Does the GoPro also have one button still photo feature while in video? Seems to me getting a GoPro is half the battle due to the amount of extras I need to purchase to use it how I intend to. The remote also seems like a must half for convenience. Do you have any videos on youtube I could watch to compare the olympus to the GoPro?

Comment

The remote on the GoPro is nice, even if you are going to use is to run while fishing. Some use the remote to start the camera once the fish is hooked. However, the strike is missed and the angler's reaction to the strike is missed. To me, that is an important part of any kayak fishing video. The remote saves reaching back or forward to start the cameras, once you reach your fishing area. I used the GoPro Hero 2 cameras last year with satisfaction. I just got two Hero 3 cameras. There is much going around about the updates that you have to do with the Hero 3 cameras. It is not as bad as some make it sound. Make sure you have a class 10 micro SD card. It also helps to have JAVA enabled on you web browser. Otherwise, you will have to do the manual method for sure. The update only takes a few moments.

Good luck with your selection.

Comment

PBerry,
                  Gopro (in the water resistant case) is sturdier than Olympus. And it is a few second faster to start video than Olympus from power off. a few second is important to me many times. The screen on Olympus will be scratched. if it happens, it is not replaceable. Gopro case can be replaced. I drop my Olympus all the time and they all survived. But I broke one when I dove deeper than it's depth limit - another user error. I won't mount an Olympus on my spear gun. I mounted a GoPro on my spear Gun. If you are diving under water now or future, get GoPro

For Olympus, the standard bolt (that is used for camera tripod) can be bought from Home Depot or Lowes. The mount kit is tough one to find. you may buy a small try pod (under $10) and duct tape it on the PVC pole or something. You need to be creative.

For GoPro, You may buy one of GoPro mounting kits made for specific applications. you may want a screen backpack.

Anyway, You need to consider how to and where to mount the camera. details for mounting are important

Also, I highly recommend anyone interested in kayak fishing video, buy a Hobie (with the Mirage Drive)

Sorry about my keep forgetting the budget limit.

My main camera is mounted on a helmet. I paid $10 for a kid roller blade helmet and mounted the camera. all mounting materials are from Lowes. The helmet must comes with Styrofoam padding so that the helmet can float. I dropped the helmet numerous times in the water But I still have it. Helmet cam is very functional. Only bad thing is that In summer I am extremely hot - seriously I am hot

joe
                  Last edited by ComeOnFish; 03-13-2013, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                    Also, I highly recommend anyone interested in kayak fishing video, buy a Hobie (with the Mirage Drive)
                    With all due respect...
                    What? LOL

If you're using a camera mount of any kind, what difference does the type of kayak make? The best (IMO)vids I've seen have been from individuals on paddle yaks, for what its worth. (kayak kevin, rob choi)

Comment

I use a Contour GPS with the waterproof housing... it's a bit of your price range... but the Roam is a good fit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contour-ROAM...item460d86c8e0

The thing with recording my fishing is that I want to fish first, actually I only want to fish! I don't want to worry about cutting a camera on or off to conserve battery life, adjust angles... blah blah. I did that for a while and hated it. So much that I found myself not even wanting to be bothered with taking it out. Whatever camera you decide to get, I would recommend one that you can hook up an external battery source to and also figure what point of view you want and install a mount. Hit record at the beginning of the trip or when you are just about to start fishing and just enjoy fishing!

I currently have my mount up front on my yak, but I am contemplating setting up a monopod for an over the shoulder POV. My camera allows me to use my cell phone as a viewfinder, once I mount it I get the view the way I want it and I'm off! No worries about if the shot is right or anything, because I know it's good. This is how I set mine up to use an external 12V battery: http://www.snaggedline.com/showthrea...11-23-12/page2 It's not factory, but it works! With a 32 GB card I can get about 7 hours of continous footage... FAR more than I would ever need for a trip!

Now I know you want to stay around $125, and you can do it, but its gonna be tough! Most of the HQ cameras will have limited batt time. But it can at least get your feet wet. I have read great things about GoPros, and I would have went that option too, but the Contour was cheaper for me so I did that.

MYT

Comment

Yeah, with the 32gb card the only limiting factor is the battery. On this last trip, I turned the camera on at the launch and just let it run. One of these days I'll use the "mytmouse external battery" method.

pberry,

With the price range of $125, you're kinda limited. If interested, when my ContourGPS gets back from the manufacturer (I broke a button on it), you're more than welcome to give it a try if you want to borrow it. If you like it, we can talk about price sometime down the road. The quality of the ContourGPS is subpar when compared to the GoPro, without a doubt. But it still adequately gets the job done.

Comment

Did someone say Rob Choi?

Did someone say Rob Choi?

He is one of the greatest guys as a man and a kayak-angler. This fine young man taught me speck-fishing, tautog-fishing, and binge-fishing when I converted from a power boat to a kayak angler

I fish 70 times a year. Rob fish a lot more than that. And the duration of Rob’s each trip is longer than that of mine.
                          I appreciate Rob and Kevin's videos. Because I know how much efforts and time were put into to each video footage

One the following video, you will see Rob's two cameras, one behind the seat (port side) and the other by the bow hatch (port side) . He dropped his first catch on my kayak on a tough day

Rob Choi:

Comment

Why do I prefer Hobie for Kayak Fishing Video?

Why do I prefer Hobie for Kayak Fishing Video?

Because you can catch more fish by pedaling a Hobie. Catching fish is the most important part for fishing video. No fish, no fishing video.

The same person can catch more fish on a Hobie than on a paddle kayak. For example, on one of Pinch’s video of Speck-Fishing in Rudee, he constantly catches and releases without stopping. You can’t do that on a paddle kayak.

Because of battery power, the most of time, cameras are turned off. When you hook a fish (on a lure), such as crappie, speck, flounder, LM, redfish, and the only fish in 5 hours, you want to keep tension on the line while you are preparing the camera 5-10seconds. During the 5-10 seconds, if you don’t keep the tension on the line, most likely these species will be gone. No fish, no video. On a Hobie, you can move forward while preparing the cameras to maintain the tension. If you are catching only croaker, striper or catfish, you don’t have to keep the tension on the line

When you have a double on two lines, on a Hobie, you can bring one in while keeping the tension on the other line by moving forward without getting serious line tangles. No line tangle means more fishing time

On a Hobie, almost 100% of water time can be actual fishing time

BTW,
                            In my opinion, there are 5 different levels in kayak-fishing videos – assuming without help from a power boat. Level 3 and 4 are hard to achieve. Level 5 is nearly impossible:
                            Level 1: a scene of landing a fish
                            Level 2: a scene of setting hook and landing
                            Level 3: a scene of casting, setting hook and landing
                            Level 4: underwater footage
                            Level 5: a scene of fish biting lure/bait

On the following video you will see level 3 and 4:

Joe

Comment

one more reason why Hobie may a good choice when pursing Kayak-fishing video

Here is another reason why a Hobie is good for kayak-fishing videos if you decided to pursue continuously. Do you fish with friends, or your kids? Do you want to record your friend/kids fishing? On a Hobie you can hold the camera steadily and point the objects (fish or your friend) while circling around your friend. On a paddle kayak it is very hard to the same thing:

Comment

Working...
                              X