Snakehead in Pohick Bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snakehead in Pohick Bay

Was thinking about trying to fish for some snakehead sometime in the spring and was wondering what lures work best there.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

I haven't fish Pohick bay but the snakehead I've caught was at quantico and I was using frog lures. I've heard other people catch them on Chatterbaits, Buzzbaits, Spinnerbait..
    Last edited by Berto; 03-04-2013, 10:54 PM.
    2013 Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Top water seems to get the biggest blowups- buzzbaits, frogs, poppers, weightless paddletail plastics, flukes, shallow running crankbaits- plastic worms in thick stuff works as well- snakeheads are good eating, too- any way you like fish-
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Rage toad.
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Stanley ribbits, rage tail toad, any hollow body frog

Chatterbaits, white or chartreuse, I like to add a 4" fluke for extra action and a larger profile

Senkos rigged weightless t-style

I've heard they don't forage on frogs, but rather strike out of reaction or in defense of their fry

I'll be out in Pohick sometime in mid-late April for my first of the season

Justin

Comment

Spinnerbaits (I had one day where I got 3) and a few on hollow bodied frogs.

The odd thing about snakeheads is that they attack lures with a vengence but they "miss" a lot as well. I had my best luck using a 1/4 ounce spinnerbait that had a large profile and large blades that I would slowly wake just under the surface.

We started seeing them in the shallows in late April last season.
            Dave

Wilderness Systems Ride 115

Comment

Anyone have any times where they sight casted for them or does that not work.
              Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

We scared a bunch back in the grass at Mattawoman. You can see them sitting on top of the grass and sometimes hanging near channel edges. It is pretty neat when they make a huge wake while following your lure on the retrieve. I've had the follow the lure all the way to the kayak only to see me and take off.

Comment

Originally posted by M_Duong60 View Post
                  Anyone have any times where they sight casted for them or does that not work.
                  i have sight casted to them be for with weight less plastic worms in the summer. but they have good eye sight and you gotta see them befor they see you or they'll disappear in to the weeds.

Comment

i use frog lures..i've seen them leap out of the water and hit my lure but you gotta wait a bit before you set the hook..march april time frame is when they agressive protecting their fingerlings.. when you cast at a spot and hook up with one recast the same area the other will be around.. they swim in pairs during spawning...
                    Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
                    Asian Anglerz
                    TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Sight casting is one of my favorite ways to catch them. When I wasn't doing that I was either using a Horny Toad or hollow body frog. Have another rod rigged and ready to go with a spook or senko, if the fish misses the bait swap rods and work the spook through the same area. Lots of times it will get crushed and I seemed to have better hook up ratios than the baits on the surface.

Chimo

Comment

Originally posted by Paddle4fish View Post
                        i use frog lures..i've seen them leap out of the water and hit my lure but you gotta wait a bit before you set the hook..march april time frame is when they agressive protecting their fingerlings.. when you cast at a spot and hook up with one recast the same area the other will be around.. they swim in pairs during spawning...
                        Plus 1(+)
                        "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                        2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                        "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                        Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Ive caught a few Snakeheads so far on white chatterbaits. Ive caught em early to late in the season on em
                          Robby
                          2014 Hobie Revo 13
                          12' Camo F&S SOT "Dirty Floater"

Comment

Dinh
                            I saw them many times. The west side of the waterfall in Occoquan. under the concrete building, or shallow water. I like Pohick Bay. you go there weekdays, weekend. Or late in the evening when the place is quiet.

Bring a net. Bring a pair of scissors. No anchor needed. Snake head are skittish. I only fish shallow water 6"- 2'(that's all I know).

Typical bass tackle is good enough. but the fishing line must be 15# test or more.

In pohick bay I fish for snakehead only. But I caught more dumb bass. Nowadays I use only one lure for bsnakehead. Read the posts before me and memorize.

here is the Rage toad (redfish mentioned) at work. But don't think snake head are calm when landed. They go crazy. But they are calm in side a net - I don't know why:
                            Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

i'm in...goin to google map it...
                              Yellow Hobie Outback 2013
                              Asian Anglerz
                              TexasKayakFisherman

Comment

Working...
                              X