Reel weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reel weight

I'm looking for some opinions. I have a Gloomis Greenwater rod and I am looking to get a new reel for it. It's 7' 6" , 10 - 20 line rating, 1/4 - 1 1/4 oz lure rating, medium power, ex-fast tip. This rod will be used mostly for stripers. I'm trying to figure out what reel would balance the rod well. I currently have an Okuma Epixor EB-50 (17.4 oz) reel on it from my old uglystick. I definately want to downsize to a 40 size reel (maybe a 30?). The reels I've been looking at range from 9.7 to 14.3 oz. Any thoughts on what weight would be a good balance for this rod? The reels I'm considering are the Stradic, Saragosa, Smoke Inshore, Spinfisher V, and Cabo (I missed the private sale on TackleDirect ). Though I'm open to other suggestions or warnings abbout any of the ones I've listed. Any thoughts are appricated.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

I have a diawa coastal 3500 that I am selling at the flea market tomorrow that would balance that rod nicely. I think the greenwater's are pretty light, so I would stick with a lighter reel unless you plan on throwing big plastic or heavy jigs (heavier reel would balance those out a little bit). The Penn's and Cabo's are great, just a little heavier than the shimanos in the same sizes.
    Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
    Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
    https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

penn battle 3000 is 10 ounces, great reel . its a tank for saltwater. and comes in at 99$. best selling reel for 2years in a row now coming down on its 3rd

spinfisher is very heavy for its size, about 11-12 oz for a 4500 size

smoke inshore, not a very good reel. they have been breaking non stop and being returned to bass pro

the white stradic has had numerous problems as well, being returned as well. the CI4 stradic is very awesome, and the 40 size would match perfect bc it weights 7-8 onces

the cabo is considered salt water but the bail trip is wide open and is un sealed, will break eventually.

and the gosa is a very good reel but way over priced for what ur trying to do.
      Zach Moore
      Delaware Paddle Sports Fishing Team
      Fishal Custom Baits Pro Staff
      Bait Towel Pro Staff
      2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12
      YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSa...8WkC2WzHhAjVaQ

Comment

Originally posted by BassMoore View Post
        penn battle 3000 is 10 ounces, great reel . its a tank for saltwater. and comes in at 99$. best selling reel for 2years in a row now coming down on its 3rd

spinfisher is very heavy for its size, about 11-12 oz for a 4500 size

smoke inshore, not a very good reel. they have been breaking non stop and being returned to bass pro

the white stradic has had numerous problems as well, being returned as well. the CI4 stradic is very awesome, and the 40 size would match perfect bc it weights 7-8 onces

the cabo is considered salt water but the bail trip is wide open and is un sealed, will break eventually.

and the gosa is a very good reel but way over priced for what ur trying to do.
        Thanks for the input

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Comment

The only way to do that is to put a reel on it and see how it balances. To do it right, you also have to include the weight of a typical lure you want to use. That said, a 7'6" rod like that will be heavy and will probably take a pretty stout reel. You should bring it to the flea market tomorrow and try it with some reels.

Comment

What the heck, it's only money. The abu garcia revo premiere PRM 40 holds 240 yds of 14# mono, and weighs in at 9 oz (lists @ $249.00) I think the BPS reel trade in is still going on so you can trade in a clunker and get a $40.00 off coupon.

Comment

our reel trade in ended on wensday

today starts the rod trade in.

the premier is a nice reel FYI. but the Revo inshore weights the same and has 18 lbs of drag.

the revo SX is just as nice as the premier as well and 2 years more advanced
              Zach Moore
              Bait Towel Pro Staff
              2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

our reel trade in ended on wensday

today starts the rod trade in.

the premier is a nice reel FYI. but the Revo inshore weights the same and has 18 lbs of drag.

the revo SX is just as nice as the premier as well and 2 years more advanced
                I was assuming he was looking for a spinning reel, I believe the inshore and sx are both casting. You are right, they are all excellent reels except the inshore is only available in the right hand model

Comment

They are brand new spinning reels . As well
                  Zach Moore
                  Bait Towel Pro Staff
                  2017 Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

They are brand new spinning reels . As well
                    I should have known, I just picked up a revo sx40 on Saturday. The box lists the weight @ 10.2 oz and line cap is 125 Yds of 8# mono. Of course it's $90.00 less than the premiere.

Comment

If you are interested, I was going to take the 3rd Revo Inshore to the Flea Market and mark it for $175. I have 2 on the rods now and a 2 more in the boxes. I can use 3 but not sure if I need the 4th so if someone wanted it I would sell it. I know I sold a couple of them cheaper but this is the last 1 that I will let go and I am on the fence about keeping it. If it sells then my decision is made ....... if it doesn't ...... my decision is made.

I'll give you 1st dibs if you are interested. It's a $55 savings. Let me know

Oops .......... nevermind ....... you're looking for a spinning reel ........ wish they would stop using the Revo name for both spinning and casting reels ......

Oh well .... cats out of the bag anyway .......... anybody here gets 1st dibs if you let me know by tonight.
                      Last edited by Memory Maker; 03-01-2013, 04:02 PM.

Comment

MM, is it the older inshore with the power handle included? If yes then I want it

Comment

It's the older inshore but I'm not sure about the power handle ....... I check when I get home ........ this was a demo in a case in a shop so the power handle could just be missing ......... do you still want it if the power handle isn't there?

Oh ...... by demo I mean only in the show case ..... it is new and not used.

If this sells I will also offering first dibb here on the Lamiglas rod I kept 2 and this is one of them ...... last 1 ....... $ 70 ...... it is REALLY sweet

Competitor Model cc705 new in wrapper
                          7' Casting
                          12-25 lb line
                          3/8 - 1 1/2 oz lure
                          Fast action

Very light ....... titanium guides

Great rod for LTJ
                          Last edited by Memory Maker; 03-01-2013, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Really only want it with the handle, thanks. Picked up one of those on Sat also, the new revo III inshore doesn't include the power handle, and there isn't one made for it. Keeping fingers crossed (like I need another reel) Next thing you know I'll be having fire sales like Redfish.

Comment

Ok ........ I'll check ...... if it has the power handle will you pick it up at the fleamarket?

Comment

Working...
                              X