No announcement yet.

Mono, fluorocarbon, or braid....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im still a mono guy...although I wanna try the other choices.

In some preliminary research...I read to eliminate issues w/ braid on spinning reels you need to really loosen your drag. Braid doesnt stretch as much as mono so you dont need the drag.

Apparently this cuts down on line twists & knots

Comment

Originally posted by mhoffman View Post
      Hey guys, I am trying to decide on which type of line to go with this year. Last year was my first time using fluorocarbon, as a friend of mine suggested it due to the low visibility and sinking nature it has. Previously, in my 15-20 years of fishing, I would use mono or braid. I've found advantages to each, but I really like the strength and small diameter braid offers (especially since I like to use ultra light rods). The only problem I have had (which is kind of a doosy) is with braid, after a while the line gets "loose" on the reel and when I go to set the hook on a fish, it buries itself in the braid on the spool and I miss the fish. The braid I have tried is fireline. Anybody have the same issue with braid, and if so is there a solution to this problem? FYI 90% of my fishing is with spinning reels, and I have been told that braid is good for baitcasting reels as well, especially if you are flipping in the thick stuff. Please any opinions/experience is welcomed.
      I've been using Fireline for over a decade and know all its quirks and quacks. Your problem is that the The Fireline is not wound on tight enough, especially the lower levels of FL deep in the spool. Fireline is very slippery, at least when brand new. Surface FL can easily cut down into the lower levels of FL if its not put on tight enough.

SOLUTION: This is what I do. I run the FL through the guides and tie the end to anything stationary. I tie to a bush in the back yard. I then walk off ALL the Fireline down to the bottom of the spool. Then I crank it ALL back into the reel using firm pressure just like you were fighting a big fish. Problem solved, easy too. If you live in the city then do this in a park or any other places were you can lay off straight all the FL on your spool.

The cool thing about Fireline (or other braids) is that it will last a couple of years. When it gets old and worn then reverse the line on the spool so that the FL on the bottom of the spool is now on top. Its like brand new again. To reverse the line use the same procedure I described above. The only difference with reversing line is that you will need to disconnect the end of the braid from the spool, walk to the other end of the FL and tie that end to the spool. Then wind it on once again like you are fighting a big fish. Then you will be good to go for a couple more years.
      Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Rockchaser View Post
        The only fix for loose braid I have found is to tie on a weight and drop it down with the bail open and start peddling/paddling. When you get down to where it looks good start reeling it back in. The weight will put drag on the line and it will spool up tight again.

Hope that helps.
        you must put braid on tight or it will dig in mainly on baitcasters but spinners will dig in also. watch your retrieves and keep tension on the line when reeling up.
        i use braid on every rod i have and add a fluro carbon leader when needed, fluro is a beast on spinning reels and also hard to manage in cold weather

Comment

I have had no problems with braid. I do spool the braid very tight. I have been using mostly PowerPro. I use it spinning, casting and trolling.

Comment

a few years ago i tried spider wire braid. wow ! it was awsome. been using braid on every reel since. i have a question for you all. why does everyone use a mono or floro leader? i dont and catch as many fish as i ever have . i catch as many fish as everyone i fish with. people that use umbrella rigs seem to point out the fact that fish dont care whats in front of what they want to eat. i use a snap swivel on all but top water lures.

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
              a few years ago i tried spider wire braid. wow ! it was awsome. been using braid on every reel since. i have a question for you all. why does everyone use a mono or floro leader? i dont and catch as many fish as i ever have . i catch as many fish as everyone i fish with. people that use umbrella rigs seem to point out the fact that fish dont care whats in front of what they want to eat. i use a snap swivel on all but top water lures.
              Read your comment about floro and snap swivels, and I thought I would share an experience I had this past fall. I was on a friend's 26' boat with four other people. I caught 6 of the 8 keeper rock that day using two different BA paddle tails. I was using braid with floro leader via an Albright knot. I gave everyone the same BA's I was using, and even changed boat positions with them, they were still getting skunked while I continued to catch. A couple of these guys are much better fisherman than I am normally. The only difference that day was some were using mono, and the rest were using braid to floro via swivel. I would be interested to hear if anyone else has experienced the same thing with swivels.

Comment

Originally posted by susqeyaker View Post
                i have a question for you all. why does everyone use a mono or floro leader?
                I tie on 6' of 20# floro to 10# to 14# Fireline. When landing fish the floro/mono is much easier on the hands when pulling the fish into the boat. Fireline can cut finger meat pretty quickly. Also, I use this same outfit in a number of different applications both fresh and in the salt. And in many of these applications a floro leader give me a stealth advantage, especially when the water is clear.
                Howard

16' Oldtown Camper Canoe with a side-mount 40# thrust trolling motor.

Comment

Finicky fish in clear water is the reason I use leaders and for the abrasion factor of rough jaws of fish mouths-
                  "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                  2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                  "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                  Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                  X