Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crappie Recipes

Crappie Recipes

Per Mango's request and M_Duong60’s interest, here are a few recipes I've tried with the Crappie I've caught from the Occoquan.

Just a note, I cook a lot and never have any set measurements. I taste as I go and adjust based on what I and my family enjoy. So what I have is a list of ingredients and the preparation steps I took. Use them as a guide to create what you and your family enjoys... Alif Aafeyaa! (1,000 times to good health)

On a side note, I do have to say the titles are less than appetizing all due to the name of the fish! LOL!

Crappie Curry

I forgot to take a picture of this but it turned out awesome!

Crappie fillets (or whole, cleaned and descaled)
    1 carton of vegetable broth (I use the organic whole foods brand)
    1 can of coconut milk (cream is better if you can find it... ArroyD brand is good)
    *Both of the above items are dependent on how much fish you have, if you have less fish, use less of each.
    pinch turmeric powder (a little goes a long way)
    paprika powder
    cumin powder
    1 teaspoon tomato paste
    1 tablespoon of sugar
    a few squirts of fish sauce
    onions
    garlic
    cilantro

Steps:
    1) In a pot saute onions, garlic, cumin powder, paprika powder, and turmeric powder in a little oil until onions are translucent.
    2) add fish sauce, vegetable broth, and coconut milk and bring to a boil.
    3) add tomato paste and sugar, mix well, lower the heat and add the Crappie.
    4) let simmer for 15 minutes on med-low heat
    5) before you serve add the cilantro, stir and enjoy!

Note: You can always make it spicy by adding thai or serrano peppers. When available I would substitute Thai basil for the cilantro.

Crappie Fish and Chips
    (This is based on my personal fish and chips recipe... UK got nothin’ on me!)

Crappie fillets

Dry coat
    flour
    sea salt
    black pepper
    dried basil leaves

Wet coat

flour
    cumin powder
    garlic powder
    21 no salt spice mix (I use the organic one that costco sells)
    pinch turmeric powder (for color)
    paprika powder
    a few squirts of fish sauce (or sea salt)
    black and white pepper
    red vinegar (This makes a really nice crunch! I put enough so that when I taste the mixture its distinctively sour)
    dried basil leaves
    carbonated mineral water

Note: the mixture should be thick but runny.

Steps:
    1) mix the dry coat ingredients and toss the Crappie until all the pieces are completely covered.
    2) mix the wet coat ingredients and dip the dry coated Crappie in the wet coat and then deep fry.

I keep my oil at around 320 when frying fish... at least that’s what work the best in my really old fryer

Don’t forget to serve with malt vinegar!

Fries

Wash the cut potatoes and soak them in water and white vinegar (again water should taste kind of sour). Deep fry at the highest temperature your fryer will do. Then coat with old bay

Oven Roasted Crappie with Fennel

(My family and I started chomping down before I remembered to take a picture... so ignore some of the missing parts of the dish LOL )

Fennel bed
    fennel bulbs (2-4 depending on how many you’re serving... I like to also use the stalk)
    olive oil
    sea salt
    black and white pepper

Crappie rub
    Crappie fillets
    lemon salt (TJ’s brand)
    paprika powder
    garlic powder (you can substitute chopped garlic.. I was just lazy )
    cumin powder
    sea salt
    olive oil
    cilantro

Steps:
    1) Oil the casserole dish to prevent sticking
    2) Chop up fennel and toss with olive oil, salt, and pepper and lay in the casserole dish
    3) Rub the crappie with all the “Crappie rub” ingredients and lay on fennel bed
    4) Bake in the oven for 15 minutes (don’t follow me for the temperature, LOL!, I usually bake everything at 450) and broil for a few minutes to brown the top a bit.

Note: If you don’t like fennel you can always substitute another green you prefer. The fish (w/rub) can also stand alone.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Wow they all seem really good the only way I have cooked them is with a flour egg breadcumb coat. I really want to try the baked crappie and believe that the curry is similar to a dish my mom makes and is very tasty. I will be sure to use these next time im out which will hopefully be this weekend.
    Ocean Kayak Trident 13: Sand

Comment

Thank you AbuMasgouf. Wife will be happy with something other than fried and I think that Roasted Cappie Fennel will do the trick. Wife happy, I fish more!

Good luck Sat @ Occoquan.

Comment

Glad to hear it bro!
        -Mustafa
        ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Working...
        X