Fishfinder opinions wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fishfinder opinions wanted

So I accidentally messed up my old ff so it's time for a new one. I think I'd like a Humminbird. So my question is should I get the 581i HD DI combo or the 386ci? The first has a 5" screen and DI, the second is 3.5", no DI, and color. Both are ~$299. Thoughts?

2015 Viking Profish Reload

Maybe it does? They both have built in GPS.

Comment

I recently went with the 5 inch screen Lowrance Elite 5 DSI Gold for my Outback- comes with the Gold Navionics Lakes and Coastal chart 2 GB chip- Only had it on in my kitchen, but the screen is very nice, bright, good contrast, GPS locked on in a few seconds- much faster than the Cuda 350 combo I replaced- weather has not cooperated to allow me to try it out on the water yet, plus I had to wait for the Mad Frog Liberator Mini and the Scotty electronics mount to come in to install the transducer- so I can't say how well it works yet...I replaced the smaller 3 inch screen and went with color-I would opt for the larger screen Hummingbird unit-
      Last edited by ronaultmtd; 01-22-2013, 10:25 PM.
      "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
      2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
      "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
      Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

I've been looking at these two as well. I believe the 'c' is for color, and the 'i' is for the combo (i.e. both sonar and GPS). I was leaning towards the 581i for the bigger screen (vision not as good as it used to be). The screen resolution for the 581i is 640Vx320H. Resolution for the 386ci is only 320Vx240H, but you do get color. The other thing that I've discovered about the Humminbird Down Imaging (DI) units is that they can be switched to standard sonar mode if desired. I don't believe that the Lowrance DSI units can do that. (Maybe someone can chime in and verify this). Note: I'm a complete newbie to sonar, so just stating info that I've gathered from researching the HBird and Lowrance websites. Anyway, I'm interested to see which way you go. Need to make a decision soon for myself. Good Luck! Go Ravens.
        John D.
        2015 Hobie Revolution 13
        GO RAVENS!!!
        GO ORIOLES!!!

Comment

I just got the 386ci DI. You're right, the down imaging can be turned off. The unit comes with the "unimaps" maps. It is pretty useless for hydro information, making the $200 navionic map purchase a necessity.
          <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Deleonjo,

You are correct. As MetroMan said, the humminbird units have both DI and sonar whereas the Lowrance DI units only have DI.

My next question for anyone with DI, I plan to shoot thru hull, does it still work ok?

Comment

The small screen gets very small when you go to split screen on the 386. I use a 597, which has a 5" screen. That makes seeing things much better in split screen. A navionics chip helps with the bottom contours and depth lines.

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                Deleonjo,

You are correct. As MetroMan said, the humminbird units have both DI and sonar whereas the Lowrance DI units only have DI.

My next question for anyone with DI, I plan to shoot thru hull, does it still work ok?

The DI will probably not work through hull. At least that is what I'd found in doing research, which is why I came up with a wet mounting system for mine. The DI beam is very wide, so you'd be shooting through a lot of plastic. You may find that it works just fine though.

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
                Kokatat Pro Staff
                Torqeedo Pro Staff
                Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
                Alan

Comment

Originally posted by Yak Fish View Post
                  The DI will probably not work through hull. At least that is what I'd found in doing research, which is why I came up with a wet mounting system for mine. The DI beam is very wide, so you'd be shooting through a lot of plastic. You may find that it works just fine though.
                  I've done some more research and I'm thinking the DI will be fine thru hull. I found this on humminbird's website: http://store.humminbird.com/products/488353/MHX_XMK_DI . Obviously I'm not going to pay that when I can use duct seal but I'm thinking I'll be ok.

Comment

Working...
                  X