Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pasadena Kayaker Intro/question

Hey Guys,

Just joined the forums, someone gave me the link from another site and said you guys were the guys to talk to about Kayak Fishing in Maryland. So I have been pretty much fishing most of my life in and around Maryland mostly from a boat and shore (Bay and Ocean). My Fiance and I just bought a house in Pasadena on Stoney creek and I really wanted to get into Kayak Fishing now that I have easy access to the water on a regular basis.

Couple quick questions for you guys if you dont mind:

Any suggestions on Kayaks to purchase? Looking to keep it around 1000 if possible, I've also been looking at the ocean brand. Are these pretty good starter Kayaks or any other suggestions for good ones around that price range?

Also any good spots around Stoney Creek or Pasadena in general that are good for Kayak fishing?

Thanks for the help guys!

I grew up in Rivera Beach, which is on Stoney Creek. Out towards the mouth of stoney creek there are the black rocks. As a kid, I used to catch perch and what we called pan rockfish in that area. I would imagine that area still produces fish. Of course when I grew up there, seaweed was every where.

Also, if you travel along Fort Smallwood Road, south to the end, there is Fort Smallwood Park. I understand there is good launching there. Just off the park there are the white rocks. There is good fishing in that area for perch, rock and bluefish. Study some NOAA maps of the area for drop offs and bottom contours. I have not been back to that area for sometime, so you may have to do some scouting out of those areas. As you will discover in this forum, Hemmingways is a good launch area for bay bridge fishing. You will hear alot about that area from others.

I work part-time at the West Marine in Annapolis. There are some kayaks there in the price range you are looking for. There is an ocean kayak trident for $699and a future beach for $499. It is the time of year for kayak sales so Cabelas, Bass Pro and other kayak shops should have some deals.

Good Luck.

Comment

Thanks for the info DOGFISH~

I will definitly check out NOAA maps as well as some of the Launch areas you sugeested. Also thanks for the information abot West Marine, I will definitly have to swing by there possibly this weekend and I also was planning on making a trip up to PA to see what Cabelas has in stock. Thanks again!

Comment

Welcome and thanks for joining!

Some popular choices would be:

Wilderness Tarpon
        Ocean Kayak Prowler and Trident
        Native Redfish
        Emotion makes a couple but not to familiar with them.

There are lots of options out there...when i first started getting into kayak fishing, I spent lots of hours doing research on them and found a great deal on a tarpon 120. I have a hobie right now but they are a bit more expensive.

Good Luck
        GS
        Hobie Revolution 13
        Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Hey Grilled Sardine~

Thanks for the info as well, I'm going to check out some of those brands and do some research on them as well, I've actually heard good things about the Wilderness Tarpoon. I'm going to visist some shops this weekend and check out the selections. Thanks again!

Comment

I can't believe that I forgot to mention that I have a 15' Trident w/rudder for sale, $700.

I thought that looked like a fish tank on your post. I raise African Cichlids. In the past I use to have Oscars, Peacock Bass and other South American Cichlids, but I have now settled on African Cichlids. I have a 180 and and a 210 gallon tank of cichlids

Good luck fishing.

Comment

Thanks, I may have to get back to you on the Kayak you have for sale, just want to do some research, look at some options, and possibly test ride a few models before I pick one. I will definitly get back to you about the one you have for sale.

Thats awesome you keep fish! I have 3 tanks running right now a 225, 180 and a 75 growout. I have a buddy who keeps and breeds Africans and he loves them. Right now I have Peacock Bass (Oriono's and Mono's), wild caught Tiger Oscar, Florida Gar and some other various CA/SA Cichlids. Working on a DIY tank right now with the foot print 48 x 48 x 31 approx 310 gallons for the Peacock Bass, some of the cichlids and also looking for a Black Arowana.

Comment

Yeah, I have seen those larger tanks, I think their by marineland. I like the more square design. It gives alot more viewing area and more like a small pond. I wish they had those when I had my large redtail catfish. I had a 40lb redtail catfish. That is why I originally got the 180. He got so large that he could not easily turn around in the 180. He had to go to the surface and do a large round about turn towards the surface. I had trouble keeping up with the water. When he did a number the whole tank would cloud up. I had wet/dry filters and two large canisters running on that tank. The fish eventually died. At the time it died, I was considering a indoor pond for in the garage. I used to feed him large catfish chunks that I would buy from Giant. I would put some fish food inside the chunks, so that he would get proper food. The fish would eat out of my hand. It was quite a fish. Too bad I didn't live in Florida. I could have kept it outside in a pond.

Of course, beware, kayaking is addictive. It takes alot of time from fish keeping. At least that is what has happened to me. I have the fish, an amazon parrot and the kayaks. That is enough to keep me busy. Good luck with finding a kayak.

Comment

Testing several models on the water is the best option. I have a Tarpon 120 and a Trident 15. Both Kayaks fish great but you should get in them before purchasing them if you can.

I unfortunately have a problem with impulsive buying.

I bought both Yaks without a test paddle. I got lucky with them but i would def suggest a test paddle first.

After testing a few look for a used boat in good shape. That will allow you to spend the remainder on a good paddle, vest, cart, car transport system and all the other goodies that make fishing from a kayak more effective. I paid $680 for my Tarpon and spent another $800 for all the other items. Of Course the Paddle and vest are the only must have items.

Comment

Welcome!

Just to throw it out there, I know someone selling a OK Trident 13 for $650. It has been on the water three times for demos.
                    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Welcome to the site! I have a Trident 13 and previously had a Redfish 12. Both are great kayaks but I like the Ocean Kayak Trident 13 more because it tracks better and it faster. It also handles the chop on the bay a lot better than my redfish did.

If you're just starting out I'd recommend the Tridents, Prowlers, Tarpons, and possibly a Ride 135 or Big Game if you're a larger gentleman. Eventually you'll want a hobie... but the kayaks listed are all great intro boats for the bay.
                      Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                      Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                      https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Thanks guys for all the vaulable information, I have some serious research to do and hopefully a couple test runs

Also thanks for the offers of the Kayaks that you guys are selling as well, I will definitly get back to you once I do some research and look around a bit for whats going to work best!

Quick side question on length of the Kayak, is there a specific length I should be looking for I'm 6 foot 3 inches and weigh about 195

Comment

welcome Saltguy. ive kayak fished on stoney creek many times, the owner of the marina by the bridge used to let me launch from their beach area. pretty nice around the bridge up to a little past elizabeths landings pier. always caught rock, wp, spot and blues depending on the time of year. once you get past the bridge you get out of the no wake area and some large cigarette boats come out of there so that needs to be watched.

go down to annapolis canoe and kayak in eastport and try out the tarpons and then check out the hobies at backyard boats they are next door to each other.

ft smallwood is good in the spring and fall but the launch area sucks, its in a bad spot and if the wind is blowing across the bay or from the north is gets pretty rough, ive surfed back in on some pretty big waves there.

see you on the water

Comment

Thanks for the welcome and advice Surfdog! Its funny that you mentioned the Elizabeth Landing Pier, thats probably where I was going try to go out at my first couple of runs, I actually live in that community so launching from there the first few times would be convenient. Thanks for the info on the fishing around the area, and the shops in Annapolis as well. Hope to see you out sometime!

Comment

Working...
                            X