Cold weather fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cold weather fishing

What does everyone wear for your cold water fishing expeditions? I'm starting to prepare for the Janurary/Feburary yellow perch run in Perryville. This will be my first year trying it out.

2015 Viking Profish Reload

this is my first year winter fishing also, Im going to get a pair of chest waiters. I have neoprene gloves for gooose hunting and plan to use them as well. If you want some company let me know.
    Ascend FS-12
    2002 Trophy Walk Around "GETHOOKED"

Comment

Just a jock strap and shower shoes for me!!!

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
        Just a jock strap and shower shoes for me!!!
        Lol. I have a feeling that would be a site to see...

Comment

under armour base layer, sweatpants, hoodie, breathable waders and a drytop.

I too, can't wait for the YP to get thick out there soon!
          Ryan
          Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Depends- some days in the winter are surprising mild and you don't need a whole lot of clothes layered under a dry top and breathable stocking foot waders- Best thing is to have some extra stuff in your truck- I usually wear under amour base layer long underwear unless it is a warm day- then I just have on pants and long sleeve shirt under the waders-on really cold days I wear Nike running gloves- thin but fast dry materials that are water compatabie-
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-21-2012, 10:46 PM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Double up on pants double up on long sleep shirts a hoodie and a winter jacket and gloves. And insulated chest waders w the rubber boot

Comment

We just had conversation on other sub-forum.

Redfish12 wrote:
                Originally posted by Redfish12 View Post
                Welcome Bob! We've covered this one pretty extensively in the past on the site. I think the main options are waders/jacket, waders/dry top, and dry suit in order of least expense and least protection.

I prefer to use waist waders and a full dry top with a double layer on the bottom. One goes in the waders, one goes over the waders and it makes a nice seal. The arms and neck have latex gaskets and they protect me from water getting into my base layers. I pretty much only wear this top when the water is below 50 degrees, the air temp is very cold (usually go together), or I am going out in rough conditions/long distances. Otherwise, for comfort I use a semi dry top, which has elastic/neoprene gaskets on the wrists/neck. It is much more comfortable and not as warm.

To give you an idea of the tops (not to say these are the best and I certainly don't get a kickback)

Here's the semi - http://www.amazon.com/NRS-Mens-Endur...7&keywords=nrs

Here's the full one - http://www.ossystems.com/surface/amargosa-drytop/

As for winter fishing ideas, I think crappie/bass/catfish and maybe pickerel in your area should be on the list. There is also stocked trout in some of the lakes as well as the upcoming yellow perch season to think about. Again, welcome!
                ComeOnFish wrote:
                Originally posted by ComeOnFish View Post
                Ski mask is good for head

for Fingers and feet,
                I like these gloves. Warm and waterproof. The gloves worked well when Ice foamed on the rod guides and spool. You can cast with the gloves on. If you don't own a Hobie. Don't buy gloves with open finger. Your gloves will be wet and your fingers will be very cold. I use chmical hand warmers inside stocking foot wader.

http://www.bobwards.com/products2.cf...FaGPPAodSWMAQQ

For rod and reel,
                I am researching the line spray that prevent ice foaming on the guides and lines. You need the spray when the air drops below 30F. I will let you know when I found the spray. I found that spinning reel works better than baitcasting reel for casting and dropping when the ice foams on the spool/line. Also Mono line is better than superbraided when the ice foams

Joe
                UaknBadBuoy wrote:

Originally posted by YaknBadBuoy View Post
                Santa is still making his rounds, and I have waders on my list. Any recommendations ?
                I got a great deal on a nearly brand new dry suit from a friend who moved south. I haven't had the opportunity to try them yet, but I'm still interested in a nice pair of waders.
                For my head : I use a quick-dry face mask with a ski type hat on top when it's really cold/windy.
                For my hands: NRS gloves with chemical packets ...... Don' know the NRS glove style.
                Any personal reviews on Kokatat Nomad boots ?
                Good luck on your winter yakin', and be safe out there.
                Fish like there's no tomorrow.
                Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
                https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

Layers, lots of em.

Neoprene gloves.

I haven't figured out how to keep my feet warm longer than 5 hours in sub-freezing weather... even the battery powered socks don't work too well.
                  Mike S.
                  Hobie Outback
                  Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                  3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Thick wool socks mayb 2 layers and feet warmers. Try that lol

Comment

Originally posted by reel-em-in View Post
                      Lol. I have a feeling that would be a site to see...

You would be scratching your own eyes out!!

Comment

Originally posted by c-villefisherr408 View Post
                        Thick wool socks mayb 2 layers and feet warmers. Try that lol
                        I usually wear 2 layers of thick merino wool socks + 2 layers of waterproof Seal Skinz socks... 4 layers... not enough. The chemical heat pack thingies don't work inside the waterproof socks, because there's no oxygen in there, but I'm gonna try that again with some modifications. The battery socks don't generate nearly enough heat. I think it was Pinch who modified them to run on 9V instead of 2 Ds, but it only burned his feet for a couple minutes, and then was dead. My ultimate plan is to just cut off my feet.
                        Mike S.
                        Hobie Outback
                        Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
                        3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Originally posted by chexone View Post
                          I usually wear 2 layers of thick merino wool socks + 2 layers of waterproof Seal Skinz socks... 4 layers... not enough. The chemical heat pack thingies don't work inside the waterproof socks, because there's no oxygen in there, but I'm gonna try that again with some modifications. The battery socks don't generate nearly enough heat. I think it was Pinch who modified them to run on 9V instead of 2 Ds, but it only burned his feet for a couple minutes, and then was dead. My ultimate plan is to just cut off my feet.
                          Not sure what type you used but if you use actual chemical foot warmers they are made to work in low oxygen environments.

Comment

For feet,
                            I have three waist-high waders - all stocking foot. Threw away booted wader because the booted was too heavy for pedaling 8 hours on a Hobie.

Because I wear very light and large boots (sandals loosely) over the stocking feet, I have plenty of air inside the wader. The chmical hand warmers from costco really work for 8 hours. ($14 for 40 pairs).
                            I wear a thin nylon sock, put a hand warmer on the top of toes and wear a synthetic thick wool sock over it.
                            Fishing line, spool and the kayak can be covered with ice but my feet are warm.

BTW, my waders are under $60. The reason why I carry three is that I can fish again after getting dunked. Also waders don't dry fully fast. By having more than one cheap wader, I can fish on the following day with a clean wader on

Joe
                            Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-26-2012, 12:08 PM.
                            Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)

Comment

For feet,
                              I have three waist-high waders - all stocking foot. Threw away booted wader because the booted was too heavy for pedaling 8 hours on a Hobie.

Because I wear very light and large boots (sandals loosely) over the stocking feet, I have plenty of air inside the wader. The chmical hand warmers from costco really work for 8 hours. ($14 for 40 pairs).
                              I wear a thin nylon sock, put a hand warmer on the top of toes and wear a synthetic thick wool sock over it.
                              Fishing line, spool and the kayak can be covered with ice but my feet are warm.

Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X