Cold weather fishing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just want to make sure:

There are two different neoprene gloves. one is water proof (such as Glacier Glove Ice Bay ), and the othere is wetsuit gloves that underwater divers wear.

in my experience, the wetsuit neoprene gloves were worse than the bare hands when they get wet.
    When the wind blew over 10 mph and the air temp was below 40F. The wind took away body (hands) heat when the neoprene gloves were wet. So I took off the wet neoprene gloves. So if you are using the wetsuit neoprene gloves, keep them dry

Joe
    Last edited by ComeOnFish; 12-26-2012, 11:53 AM.
    Fish like there's no tomorrow.
    Youtube UserID: ComeOnFish01 (Over 300 kayak fishing videos in mid-Atlantic (DE, MD & VA)
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKb...JtmNcSJBi2Sazg

Comment

I have never been uncomfortable wearing Nike base layer, fleece pants, REI polyester, nylon, lycra hiking shirt, wool sweater, chest waders and a splash jacket. I have the neoprene gloves, but prefer fingerless wool gloves unless its really bitter. Sock liners under wool socks make a difference for your feet. I would like to use waist waders (more convenient when you have to pee) but they tend to ride down on my skinny hips and leave me with a wet butt.
      Carpe Pisces

Comment

I have a box of the adhesive toe warmers made fishing in Jan & Feb more of a pleasure last year.

Meadeo
        2012 135 Wilderness Systems Angler

Comment

I don't go out once the water drops below 60 degrees, but some days I reconsider since I get pretty bored stuck inside during cold weather. I'll look into some of the clothing suggestions.
          2010 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Breathable stocking feet chest waders or a drysuit- basic cold weather equipment- can't do without one of these- you get wet, you freeze- and quickly- Oh, Yeah- forgot to mention in my earlier post- Stolquist sizes are way on the smaller sizes- what they call XXL I would say is extra large- so be aware when you order anything from them- they are into slim, trim folks-

What you wear underneath is debatable but not these two essential items- you must wear one or the other- drysuit starts around $600 and goes up from there- breathable chest waders are available every where at $100- 150-

I like Nike dry wear running gloves- thin, lightweight and surprisingly warm- wore them yesterday on Mattawoman Creek and they worked great- they are two years old and have been on many cold water fishing trips- when wet, they dry quickly and don't freeze your hands when wet- don't know what they are made of but I recommend them- Glacier Bay wet gloves are not my answer- tried them and froze- my feet don't get very cold in my waders- I have a pair of size 13 water shoes (I have size 12 feet) that I wear over the stocking foot waders- I just wear a pair of boot socks on my feet- peddling keeps your feet out of the water and keeps your body working, so maybe that activity keeps me warm-

Yesterday wasn't too bad, temp wise- mid 30's to low 40's most of the day- but around 2 p.m. the weather changed and temps dropped very quickly into the lower 30's and the breeze picked up- the wind made the temps much colder than what it actually was- pick your day and enjoy a day on the water- regardless of the catching- it is still "fishing."
            Last edited by ronaultmtd; 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM.
            "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
            2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
            "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
            Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Originally posted by russ498 View Post
              Just a jock strap and shower shoes for me!!!
              What an image .......... first I spit my coffee laughing ........... now I've lost my appetite

Comment

Working...
              X