12/8 HH success!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12/8 HH success!

Launched early afternoon still overcast but calm winds, and the sun trying it's best to burn it's way out. Paddled over to ferry point and realized I'd forgotten to check the locks on the vehicle- good thing I paddled back. In my haste to get underway, a passenger door was left ajar. I've never had problems here but why tempt fate and become a statistic .

After relaunch I paddled over to the bridge to see if either of the boats I'd caught a glimpse of where doing anything. The bass boat cruised past me then sped off towards Key Bridge.
    Old Cajun informed me he wasn't having any success.
    As best I could guess I followed the 15' trench from the bridge to the first green marker.the instructions given to me the week before- line up the green cans move 10-15, inside then troll a staight line- watching for the channel edges and paying attention to the shelf @15' depth. I kept a steady eye on the ancient Eagle Ultra ($5 well spent if not just for the entertainment value) as it marked fish of all sizes, bait schools and changing bottom composition
    I tried to keep a steady paddling pace to keep the stretch 25 throbbing as it strained the undersized rod I was using ( 6 1/2' bass pro graphite Tournament BC) the shoreside rod dragged a 1 oz. bucktail dressed with an old school Mr twister Sassy Shad.
    Just past the can across from Fort Mchenry the stretch 25 rod began a dance in the holder!.
    Initially I thought decent fish.
    Then it turned it's head and started for the deeper water and the Key bridge.
    I let it fight the rod and the drag of the kayak. it took 5 minutes to get to the surface. 10 lb braid is tough but I had no idea how well it was hooked. She surfaced port side- no way am I gonna land her from that side. The combination- no net- poor control of my left hand fine motor functions
    sharp hooks and angry fish meant I had to tire her out and get her starboard.
    once secured under the net in the rear cargo area I padlled back to the launch.

Old Cajun swears He'll bear witness that the fish- to be shown later was not borrowed or purchased and even though he did not witness the actual catch he can verify the following:
    * the cargo section was empty when I met him near Hanover street bridge
    * there were no boats other than his Hobie within hand-off range of me for the duration of my adventure
    *the smile on my face at the end of the trip will last at least a week.

no pics yet- camera malfunction and the cell phone video reteival requires a cable that's currently in my desk at work . maybe cajun can post his.

So as not to give the impression this is a tale I'm not gonna post the length till the pics are ready for the back-up
    Attached Files
    Last edited by zimm; 12-09-2012, 04:07 PM.

Holy cow? the suspense is killing me! Congrats on whatever size whatever kind of fish you caught!
    Ryan
    Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
    Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Where's the pic!!!!???? C'mon baby!

Light Tackle Kayak Trolling the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Kayak Jigging the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Light Tackle Fishing Patterns of the Chesapeake Bay, Author
      Kokatat Pro Staff
      Torqeedo Pro Staff
      Humminbird Pro Staff

2011 Ivory Dune Outback and 2018 Solo Skiff
      Alan

Comment

teaser time

it was longer than my fold out ruler from Bass Pro

Comment

It took longer to write your post than it would take to upload a picture.

How big was it!!
          Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Originally posted by Pinch View Post
            It took longer to write your post than it would take to upload a picture.

How big was it!!

Word.

Comment

34" - the largest of my life!
              And due to card failure in the cell phone- this is the only pic I have
              Attached Files
              Last edited by zimm; 12-09-2012, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Congrats guy .......... really a nice one ............ what are the stats

Comment

Nice fish! What did it end up measuring in at?

Comment

Clydes verified the length@34"
                    I'd guestimate the weight at around 18
                    two nice filets and several steaks in the freezer.
                    nice clean fish and I was hunting for table fare- normally everything goes back in thee drink

Comment

Outstanding ....... congrats

Comment

its a fatty. nice.
                        Interstate Kayak Fishing

Comment

Great job. That is a fine fish under any conditions -- to get it on a kayak is extra sweet.
                          John Veil
                          Annapolis
                          Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Nice Feesh!
                            Ryan
                            Blue 2016 Hobie Outback
                            Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers, Inc

Comment

Nice fish- congratulations- the Stretch 25 is definitely one striper lure that works-
                              "Lady Luck" 2016 Red Hibiscus Hobie Outback, Lowrance Hook2-7TS
                              2018 Seagrass Green Hobie Compass, Humminbird 798 ci HD SI
                              "Wet Dream" 2011 yellow Ocean Prowler 13
                              Charter member of Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club

Comment

Working...
                              X