No announcement yet.

late Fall Fishing tactics and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regard to the island hopper motor mount. They do make a counter weight. It is shown on their web site. I made my own out of old tire weights, melted into a cast iron loaf pan, with U-bolts. When I used mine I had no problem, with or without the counter weight. Then again, I'm a bit on the large side. I may be my own counter weight.

Comment

Originally posted by Mullet Miller View Post
      Who told you TnW don't work here?

Ohhh that's a pig. Where did you entice that lunker from . I got to get my hands on several of them tube's this fall as well. It also looks like you are floating on a green cloud. The water must have been glass clam that day. Spring time in the Susq Flats? Nice fish

Are those flush mount rod holders on the sides by your feet. That's a great location for trolling.

Comment

Alright Mullet... I'll break them out again. I've also read from other guys that nightcrawlers work just fine as well.

I'll try it some next time I go out. Was that in the bay?! Looks like a pig for sure!
        Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
        Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
        https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

C&R season on the Flats. Gulp sandworms on the hook.

Comment

In all honesty, the T&W does work in the bay. I have friends who have taken them down to Kiptopeake and were told that their Yankee Tricks wouldn't work down here. They caught some incredible fish down there.

The biggest thing is getting them down to the right depth, either a weighted keel or lead core line can help, and keeping it slow. Real Sandworms are, by far, the best worm to tip the hook with. The pig in the picture fell for a Gulp Sandworm, and there have been others. You can get sands down here, but you need to have them shipped down,$$$. I do it in the springtime. They do keep well in the fridge, but you have to tend them daily. I usually order them from Maine Bait.

Comment

Thanks for the info Mullet

I just ordered some Surgical tubing and i am going to try my hand at making several next week. I'm going to use thick piano wire to run thru the tube and connect the hardware. I have to digg up my haywire twist tool from the old days now

Any one know where to get the large barrel swivels used at the front of the tube? I was thinking of using a large bead and smaller swivel in its place if i cant find them locally.

I will also try to dye the latex tubes several colors with rit. I know red is a good choice. Do you have any other colors that work well?

What size hook is best for the tubes?

Comment

I'd be interested in making some as well. I almost ordered some tubing on monday but I figured I'd wait and make it a winter project. I think most people prefer an 8/0 J or Octopus Gami hook. I think Dick's carries some of the large billfisher swivels for some reason. I also plan on making some of the Tman Keels.

I've got a couple of kayak carl's tubes from jbay and a few tman's that I got before the event. I think other popular colors are bubblegum, orange, black, and pink sparkle. Also, I've seen them as long as 24" up north. I plan on trying them more down here.
                Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

Excellent. What do the keels do?

I was thinking of making 15" tubes. Maybe a couple longer and shorter if i have enough tubing? I bought 10ft so it should be enough for trial and error

Comment

Working...
                  X