Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DIY PVC rod holders for Hobie Revo (with measurements)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY PVC rod holders for Hobie Revo (with measurements)

First I'd like to thank everyone who has done this before me for the help and inspiration.

With Sandy running through I was looking for a project to do on my Revo. I came across this setup on the forum and it really caught my interest. When I wanted to build it, I was looking for a little more details so that I can be more "comfortable" with tackling the project. I searched the web to see if anyone had any measurements of it but I didn't find any.

So I figured there may be others like me who would like to see some breakdown before they tackle it, or to help them while doing it. This is my humble attempt at spreading the knowledge based on my venture

Note, the bottom of the 2 outside cross rod holders go down all the way and rest on the kayak for better support.

Here is a close up of that. I left the middle one a bit higher so I can bungee the seat back.

The pictures were taken before I glued it all together and finalized it, so a couple of the pieces look shorter than the posted measurements. When you build your own make sure to fit it to your measurements based on how your pieces are coming together.

I used it for the first time yesterday and am really happy with the setup. I may add 4-6" pieces on the cross connectors to make the rods higher.

I'll probably wait for the coldest part of the year when my Yak may not be in use to paint it... for now its functional but not pretty
    Last edited by AbuMasgouf; 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM.
    -Mustafa
    ابو مسقوف AbuMasgouf (Aboo-Mas-goof ): Fish Roast Papa
    2016 Hobie Outback
    2012 Hobie Revolution 13
    "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

I love the details. Nice job.... even though I have one made of aluminum, you make me want to build one for fun, as a winter project.
    Last edited by moc; 11-05-2012, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Thanks for sharing the specifications and construction details. I'm sure other members will take advantage of this. When I saw you on the water yesterday the rod holders looked good.
      John Veil
      Annapolis
      Native Watercraft Manta Ray 11, Falcon 11

Author - "Fishing in the Comfort Zone" , "Fishing Road Trip - 2019", "My Fishing Life: Two Years to Remember", and "The Way I Like to Fish -- A Kayak Angler's Guide to Shallow Water, Light Tackle Fishing"

Comment

Thanks guys I appreciate the kind words
        -Mustafa
        2016 Hobie Outback
        2012 Hobie Revolution 13
        "Be humble to whomever you learn from and whomever you teach."-- Imam al-Sadiq (as)

Comment

Looks great! I wanna build one now. Thanks for the specs.
          Mike S.
          Hobie Outback
          Chesapeake Bay Kayak Anglers
          3D Printed Hobie Hatch Bucket

Comment

Looks good and will also provide a little more of a backrest!!

Also do you plan to strap it down to the kayak at all? Do you plan to screw the pieces together?

Originally I only glued it, but after awhile and all the bumps and vibrations from driving with the kayak on the trailer the pieces came apart. I don't think you need to screw every piece but a few would probably be good.

Comment

Originally posted by CB kayak 02 View Post
              Looks good and will also provide a little more of a backrest!!

Also do you plan to strap it down to the kayak at all? Do you plan to screw the pieces together?

Originally I only glued it, but after awhile and all the bumps and vibrations from driving with the kayak on the trailer the pieces came apart. I don't think you need to screw every piece but a few would probably be good.
              Thanks Bro

I bungee it down the same time I put in my crate (before launch). Since the 1.25" PVC legs go all the way to the bottom of the molded rod holders it is pretty solid and won't move. At this point I prefer not to have it as a permanent fixture so I can still have other setup options in the future.

I transport my revo on top of my car and put the "contraption" inside my car so the vibrations may not be as much of an issue, but point noted I should add some screws to keep it tight. What type and size screws did you use? When you glued it, did you use the 2 step PVC cement?
              -Mustafa
              2016 Hobie Outback
              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                Thanks Bro

I bungee it down the same time I put in my crate (before launch). Since the 1.25" PVC legs go all the way to the bottom of the molded rod holders it is pretty solid and won't move. At this point I prefer not to have it as a permanent fixture so I can still have other setup options in the future.

I transport my revo on top of my car and put the "contraption" inside my car so the vibrations may not be as much of an issue, but point noted I should add some screws to keep it tight. What type and size screws did you use? When you glued it, did you use the 2 step PVC cement?
                The glue I used was one step and it was probably old, as far strapping it in, I didn't mean permanent, but I have bungees with clips that connect it to the pad eyes already stock on the kayak.

Screws I used were small stainless screws not much longer that what would go through 2 pieces of PVC. The only areas I would suggest using them for sure would be on your trolling rod holders. If a big fish hits and the glue doesn't hold, then the PVC will turn/twist and there goes your rod or worse you miss the fish.

Comment

Nice! Looks very professional!
                  LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                  Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Looks good Mustafa. Matt means to add screws to the PVC joints like this.
                    2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                    2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                      2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by Shield View Post
                        Thanks for the photo edit Bro!

Would you do two screws (one on each side) at each connection point or just one? I have to stop by HD and get fine SS screws. I feel that the smaller screws won't comprise the PVC as much as the large ones... not sure though, I'm just guessing.
                        -Mustafa
                        2016 Hobie Outback
                        2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Question for everyone using pvc...my first rock ever was several years ago in about 20 degree weather. It hit a rod in a clamp-on rod holder on the bow rail. The clamp was nylon and it shattered. That was a 41" 28 pound fish. Do you ever get concerned about having your pvc fail in cold weather?
                          LL Bean (Perception) Manatee DLX Angler 9.5'
                          Hobie Pro Angler 12

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMasgouf View Post
                            Thanks for the photo edit Bro!

Would you do two screws (one on each side) at each connection point or just one? I have to stop by HD and get fine SS screws. I feel that the smaller screws won't comprise the PVC as much as the large ones... not sure though, I'm just guessing.
                            One or two. I would drill a pilot hole for each.
                            2012 Hobie Revo 13'
                            2012 Hobie PA12'

Comment

Originally posted by dsiekman View Post
                              Question for everyone using pvc...my first rock ever was several years ago in about 20 degree weather. It hit a rod in a clamp-on rod holder on the bow rail. The clamp was nylon and it shattered. That was a 41" 28 pound fish. Do you ever get concerned about having your pvc fail in cold weather?
                              I don't have any knowledge of this stuff (this was my first PVC project) but what little I know is PVC is supposed to withstand extreme temperatures. Perhaps others who have had it longer and fished winter seasons can comment?
                              -Mustafa
                              2016 Hobie Outback
                              2012 Hobie Revolution 13

Comment

Working...
                              X