No announcement yet.

Rudder Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep...From back to front was the way to go!
    <insert witty comment here>

Comment

got the install completed tonight. I installed the footrails with the vertical adjusment kit last night. That was easy.

Tonight was a royal pain in the ass. My rudder cable & tube slipped inside the hull at the stern. So I had to re run the lines on the left side. Putting the tube in was simple, but inserting the cable was a pain. I had some crimps in the cable from trying to assemble the rear steering mechanism. Those crimps made it HELL to slide the cable thru the tube again. It took about an hour, feeding it in less than a quarter inch at a time. My hand got to the point where i couldnt maintain a grip to insert the cable. I ended up using a pair of pliers to feed the cable...and I used my hook removal tool to hold the tubing itself. I learned that you cant have excess cable & tubing in the hull. You have to make sure the lines are taught.

I had a problem with the left rear steering mechanism. One of the two pieces that secure the cable is seemingly machined incorrectly. The right side is perfect...left side, not so much. I went to a McGyver solution....so only time will tell if it holds.

Along with the missing parts that were delivered today, they (austin kayak) threw in a free t shirt. Great customer service is so appreciated.

Comment

The rudder was a limited success for its first water test at CHSP. It worked fine for a little while, then the left side started giving me issues. The rudder would deflect to the right normally, but the left pedal only centered the rudder...it didnt give enough travel to actually deflect the rudder to the left. The issue was related to the rudder cable tubing length...I dont know what exactly caused the malfunction, but something prevented the rudder from deflecting to the left. Upon landing at the beach, I gave it a shake and a tug, then it was working as normal again :-/ I think my rudder cable tubing is too long. I will try to shorten it some more.

In my previous post, I mentioned a "McGyver" solution...that actually worked. If anything were to malfunction, I would've suspected this to...but alas, it was something else that went awry. I was pissed at this malfunction...I was having severe tracking issues out there last weekend. A functioning rudder would have eliminated this issue.

Comment

Is that why you were doing what looked like dounut burnouts in the De. Bay last weekend :-)

GB.

Comment

Originally posted by Grady-Black View Post
            Is that why you were doing what looked like dounut burnouts in the De. Bay last weekend :-)

GB.

LMAO!!! Yep! He wasn't too happy about that! I had to hear about it all day!

MYT

Comment

Oh I was pissed I threw my paddle (knowing it was leashed lol)

Comment

This is the right (starboard) side of the rudder steering mechanism. This is what it SHOULD look like, with the cotter pin installed

This is the left (port) side of my rudder steering mechanism. Isn't as pretty, but it works nonetheless...

Comment

what did u use to glue the cable, goop?

you should crimp them. go to depot or even radio shack and get some crimps. much more secure. Nontheless, very nice job! I was reading your post on P&S
                  Hobie Revolution 13
                  Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

That was some super glue-type adhesive I got from Lowes. It was advertised to work for metal-metal, and in water...so I went with it in a pinch.

Crimping is a good idea. I will do that for added security! Thanks for the suggestion.

Comment

annndd for kicks, here's a pic of my new sprayshield which will keep my bow storage area covered and dry. It was on clearance from the Harmony folks...

Comment

bump on an old thread...

How is the SmartTrack rudder system working out years later? Are you still happy with it? I've been looking at anchor systems that will allow you to use the foot pegs for both anchoring your feet when paddling and also maneuvering the rudder. From what I can tell the SmartTrack definitely allows for this.

I saw this video from SmartTrack which discusses the four main housings that you can choose from. Looks like for my transom style, I'd need the mid pin type install.

Also here's a well laid out video showing how to install the SmartTrack system from beginning to end.

smithmal
                        Last edited by smithmal; 10-31-2017, 04:27 PM.
                        smithmal

2017 Native Ultimate 12 (Lagoon Blue)
                        Bending Branches Angler Pro Plus Paddle

2016 Old Town Twin Heron Tandem (Mango)

2012 Nova Craft Pal 16' in Royalex-Lite (Burgundy)

1990 Radisson 12' (SportsPal)

Comment

Working...
                        X