BB 9/26 - An incredible day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BB 9/26 - An incredible day!

I had such a horrible morning on the bay yesterday, lost a new rod (my son did that) and got skunked. There didn't seem to be a fish in the bay. So I wanted to take another whack at it. I got to Hemmingways at about 7:30 this morning. The sky was overcast and the wind started to pick up just as I unloaded the Kayak. Obviously a storm was blowing in. I put on a rain jacked and went for it anyway.
    The wind was blowing pretty good and there were 2 -3 foot swells with some waves breaking over my kayak. Catching spot took a little longer than usual. They just didn't seem as numerous and the wind was blowing me all over the place.
    After getting about a dozen spot, I headed out to the east bound side and zig zagged through the pilings just watching the fish finder for signs of life. I saw plenty of bait fish but didn't see any other fish, or at least, my ff wasn't picking any up. I got out to the seconday channel and I felt like I was in a hurricane, wind blowing like crazy, raining hard and some violent seas.
    I hunkered down in an edie behind pilings and casted to the front of the pilings and let the spot drift through. I didn't get as much as a nibble, although I was getting soaked to the bone!

After about an hour with no luck, I decided to head back. I put a 3/4oz egg sinker above my swivel and trolled back. I use a Penn bait runner spinning reel. I simple put the rod in my rear holder and striped line until the sinker went under water a foot or so. I was between the bridges staying close to the east bound side and all of a sudden ZING...... Set the hook and landed a 19" rock. I thought...... ok, maybe I'll do that again. To make a long story short. I proceeded to get hook up after hook up for the next 4 hours. I would have a fish on or strong take within five minutes at the most, of putting the spot in the water! Several times, I had just put the spot in the water to the right depth and ZING!. I had to keep making bait runs to the end of the bridge and then back out to catch more rock. I'd catch for or 5 spot then I could wait any more and I'd head back out to catch more rock. I had to catch at least 20 fish, most were over 20" and the biggest was 26". Got broke off a couple times when I couldn't stop the fish from wrapping around the piling, and had several huge takes but the fish didn't have the hook in it's mouth and I pulled the spot out. One of those actually hit the spot hard a second time after I pulled the spot out on my initial hook set.

Here's a couple of 24"s that I brought home.

So the day started out rough...very rough, but turned into one of the best fishing days I've ever had.
    Attached Files
    -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
    Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
    Fishbites - Saltwater version

Great report Jimbo... I walked out my apartment this morning and thought to myself... "I bet the stripers are biting out there today!" Too bad I didn't do a part 2 like you! LOL

MYT

Comment

I was looking at the weather report for Sunday morning thinking it would not be too bad. When i woke up at 6:30 and looked outside i hit snooze button and went back to laalaa land.

Looks like it was a lot rougher out there than i expected. Grats on sticking it through and finding the right pattern to catch the fish. Those are some good eating size fish there.

Comment

Nice going!!!
        <insert witty comment here>

Comment

Way to persevere and find some nice fish. Sounds like an awesome day.
          Yellow Hobie Revo Rube Goldberg
          Yellow Tarpon 120

Comment

Awesome report! I'm glad you got out and found some fish!
            Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
            Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
            https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

nice job! at least you got some nice rock. i got to the severn and said to my self nah ill fish from shore. the gd little spot are vicious i cant believe i can even feel them from 75 yds with 2oz lead. got a big hit on a jointed swimmer but it missed the treble

any sealice on those fish?

Comment

No sea lice, all the fish were clean and healthy.
                -Jimbo-

Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 30#
                Berkley Powerpro - 100 yrd spool - 20#
                Fishbites - Saltwater version

Comment

Sea lice is actually a good thing in this case, means the fish you caught have recently come in from the ocean.

Catching that many healthy fish at the BB in one day is certainly a great sign as well! My numbers have been almost 65%/35% healthy vs mycobacteriosis this summer. Mycobacteriosis is usually indicative that the fish is a resident to the Chesapeake Bay.

I'm hoping we start to see some ocean fish make their way into the bay early this year... doubtful with all this warm water though!
                  Hobie Local Fishing Team - Backyard Boats
                  Locations in Annapolis, MD and Woodbridge, VA
                  https://www.backyardboats.com/

Comment

awesome job...i hope to get out this weekend. something always comes up..arr
                    but ive been having the itch for the past couple of weeks.
                    Hobie Revolution 13
                    Hobie Fishing Team

Comment

Nice catch!

You were talking to my friend that morning in the gray Revo. I hope to one day do some fishing with my son. I'll have to wait about 10 years though.

How do you check for sea lice? The ones I have caught so far were clean looking.

Comment

you usually see them in the gills, little black crab looking things. should be soon now.

Comment

Working...
                        X